Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I want to get a weapon for pocket carry, and while we tried a few guns we are still unsure what would be best for us. Max budget would be under $700

I would be okay with .380, but my favorite IWB carry is 9mm. I rented both the Sig p238, and Sig p938. My experience was that the p238 was a great shooter, and thought that the P938 would be the same, except in 9mm. After I checked out the P938 I didn't like it as much as I thought I would (this could be that the Sheriff's Dept only allows you to shoot their 147 grain rounds). The recoil was more pronounced and it was difficult getting the last round in the magazine. Also, not quite sure if the P938 is just past the threshold of comfortable pocket carry as I noticed it was larger and thicker than the P238. I checked out the S&W M&P Bodyguard 380. I liked the integral laser, and safety features. Although, while that DAO trigger was very safe, it also was unpleasantly heavy and would take some getting use to. I saw (but not shot) the Ruger LCP, which appeared very pocketable, but not sure I liked that the slide doesn't lock back after a spent magazine, and that the barrel wasn't as good of quality as the Bodyguard. It seemed that all pocket carry pistols are either SAO or DAO. I really liked that Bersa 380 CC had a DA/SA operation, but that may be too heavy for pocket carry as well. There are some good reports on the Seecamp 380 and micro Deagle, but I can't seem to find the Seecamp 380 anywhere and the Micro Eagle was discontinued.

Please Advise

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am not a huge fan of pocket carry, nor am I a fan of the .380...accordingly, I will ask this question - have you considered a J frame or an LCR? There is precious little difference in round count between a "pocket rocket" and a small revolver - but there is a very real difference in penetration and effectiveness between the rather anemic .380ACP and a good .38 or .357 defensive round. Even if you find yourself limited to standard pressure .38, Buffalo Bore makes a very good 158 grain LSWCHP load.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been carrying a Charter Arms 38spl UC Lite with the small grips and DAO hammer for about eight years now and it's working good. It's only 12oz empty.
Doesn't look like a revolver is in your thoughts. Jest my .02

·
Registered
206 Posts
In my opinion pocket carry is all about compromise, and how much you are willing to dress to how you carry. With enough compromise, you can pocket carry just about anything. If you are not willing to compromise, then the LCP is the king of "when you can't carry" gun, as it dissapears into any pocket. Next size level up would be options like the Kahr CM9/40. Pocket carried one for many years in a Recluse holster. Similar in size would be a j frame revolver, their unique shape obscures any outline of a gun. Next size up, and one you definately have to compromise for, would be something like the M&P Shield. I have been sucessfully pocket carrying one as my Bug for the last year using cargo pants, and a PJHoster kydex pocket holster. The kydex holster adds almost zero bulk, and keeps things slim enough, unlike the thicker padded Remora type holsters out there. However I only pocket carry as a BUG. If you have to pocket carry as your only option, it works but there are definately drawbacks- speed of draw being primary. Recently had my wife try out a Galco Belly band, and she LOVES it, carries a Shield and reload no matter what she is wearing now that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, revolver for pocket carry can be a good option, and did not cross my mind. While I haven't shot one in a long time, it's worth checking out. S&W actually makes a bodyguard version in .38 special.

·
Registered
748 Posts
When I pocket carry its a G42 in a Desantis Nemesis.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My wife and I want to get a weapon for pocket carry, and while we tried a few guns we are still unsure what would be best for us. Max budget would be under $700

I would be okay with .380, but my favorite IWB carry is 9mm. I rented both the Sig p238, and Sig p938. My experience was that the p238 was a great shooter, and thought that the P938 would be the same, except in 9mm. After I checked out the P938 I didn't like it as much as I thought I would (this could be that the Sheriff's Dept only allows you to shoot their 147 grain rounds). The recoil was more pronounced and it was difficult getting the last round in the magazine. Also, not quite sure if the P938 is just past the threshold of comfortable pocket carry as I noticed it was larger and thicker than the P238. I checked out the S&W M&P Bodyguard 380. I liked the integral laser, and safety features. Although, while that DAO trigger was very safe, it also was unpleasantly heavy and would take some getting use to. I saw (but not shot) the Ruger LCP, which appeared very pocketable, but not sure I liked that the slide doesn't lock back after a spent magazine, and that the barrel wasn't as good of quality as the Bodyguard. It seemed that all pocket carry pistols are either SAO or DAO. I really liked that Bersa 380 CC had a DA/SA operation, but that may be too heavy for pocket carry as well. There are some good reports on the Seecamp 380 and micro Deagle, but I can't seem to find the Seecamp 380 anywhere and the Micro Eagle was discontinued.

Please Advise
I can't tolerate anything but a micro 380 for pocket carry. Lately I've been carrying a Kahr CW380 in a Desantis Superfly. With a Magguts replacement spring, it gives me 7+1 of 380 less than a lb loaded.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
The little J-frame S&W is a great pocket carry choice. In a pocket holster it is comfortable and very concealable. It is not a fun gun to shoot 50 or 100 rounds thru in one outing. But for personal defense it's five .38 special hollow points is adequate protection. My grab and go to the store gun.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Interesting, revolver for pocket carry can be a good option, and did not cross my mind. While I haven't shot one in a long time, it's worth checking out. S&W actually makes a bodyguard version in .38 special.
I found S&W current Bodyguard rendition to be somewhat unpopular. The Centenial versions or the shrouded hammer versions are more popular as a pocket gun. I carry a 442 in my pocket daily. It's not a Range / Target gun but 50 to 100 rounds of practice is not bad. If you pick a lighter weight bullet it helps. I practice more with my all steel 36 with Pachmyer Grips. Grips on any J-Frame can make or break your opinion of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't tolerate anything but a micro 380 for pocket carry. Lately I've been carrying a Kahr CW380 in a Desantis Superfly. With a Magguts replacement spring, it gives me 7+1 of 380 less than a lb loaded.
I saw some mixed reports of Magguts reliability outside of this forum. Are they generally good to go?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I've owned three (yes, three) LCP's in the last five years. Bought sold bought sold and bought again.

The first two times I was CERTAIN I hated these little guns. But after 4 years carrying everything else, including the p938 the OP mentioned, I just gave up and went back to the old LCP again.

Through all three guns, I didn't have one single malfunction of any kind. Not one in almost 1000 combined rounds.

At the end of the day, your carry gun has to be reliable and concealable. The LCP, IMO, is both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
I saw some mixed reports of Magguts reliability outside of this forum. Are they generally good to go?
I have them for my CW380 6-round and Shield 7-round mag. Never gave me a problem so far.

The Shield is a bit tight, and difficult to strip rounds off to unload, at least at first. Better now after several hundred rounds through it.
The Kahr 380 never gave me any problems.

I started carrying the mags after about 3 range sessions.

The CW380 is a great gun, especially with the extra round... but only if you understand its role and limitations.
Let me put it this way - the pistol has never failed to fire 2 6-7 round magazines from cold and clean condition without failures and accurately. At this point I have about 800 rounds through it.
It begins to malfunction after about 50-60 rounds, if fired fast and has no chance to cool... at >100 if it has a chance to rest. The tolerances appear pretty tight, and it gets rather dirty, so starts to FTE/FTF.

I never expect to fire 50 rounds out of it in rapid succession in anger. I just need it to go bang every time for 2 magazines. It does that well... and remarkably accurate for such a little gun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I pocket carry both my Kahr CT380 and Ruger LC9s. Which one is determined by the clothe that I wear.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I pocket carried a Kahr PM9 with Crimson Laser Grip for a couple of years until I purchased my Glock 43. Now I carry it all the time. I still need to get a laser for it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Whine Whine Whine. Lol

Kidding aside, I think that generally true pocket guns will almost always be a compromise, they will never be their larger counterparts but after all thats the point. There are guns that some people use that act more like a full size such as a Glock 25, an XDs, a Shield, etc, but I don't consider these pocket guns, instead they are mid/full size guns with short grips rhat fit in your pocket...or some peoples pocket. The Jframe is pocketable and accurate for what it is, but I definately see the draw and benefits of the semi.
I have never fired Sig or Kimbers micro pistols, but I have fired the LCP & Bodguard and I carry my LCP multiple times a week. I find the LCP to be a little more accurate than the bodyguard, it's likely due to the trigger on the Bodyguard- awful! If your willing you could go the J Frame route, they even come in 9mm, or the LCR 9mm with moon clips for fast reloads. Have you considered the true pocket 9mm, the Kahr CM9mm, I heard its a little snappy but people seem to like it for everything it is. I really think with the features and for the money you would learn to appreciate the LCP. Good luck.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You already said you didn't like the P938, which is my pocket carry gun of choice, so I can't make any recommendations. Others have mentioned the J-frame S&W revolver, which is my SECOND choice. When I'm not pocket carrying a P938 in a Sticky holster, I'm carrying my S&W 360 in a Sticky holster!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Some Recommendations for Summer Pocket Carry 2016?

.38 snubby. S&W 442/642, Ruger LCR, something else. Ideal for pocket carry.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts