Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a trip to the local gun shop today and checked out some revolvers. They all seem to feel nice I just need to see if I can find a place where I can check them out at a rang for a test drive. any thoughts or experience with Rossi MODEL R46102 .357 MAGNUM 2",
Taurus ULTRA-LITE MODEL 85 .38 SPL., Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR).38 SPL+P, and S&W J frame Model 317 Revolver and night guard.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The J-frame Smiths are the cream of the crop. The LCR seems to be a great gun but I don't like to buy 1st year production guns, I prefer to let them get the bugs worked out. My son has a Rossi like the one you saw, it shoots well and he's never had a problem with it.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Everyone should own at least ONE S&W snubbie.:yup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Rossi is pretty much an old S&W copy, made with old Smith tooling in fact. For the $ it's a nice revolver. Taurus model 85 or any ultralite is a nice carry gun because of weight, but not as much fun to shoot...not bad, just not as good as the heavier ones. With all the problems the LCR has had(just what I've read) probably shouldn't get that one. I myself own a Rossi 461 and a Taurus 85UL, like both of them a lot, no problems with either, Rossi is a better shooter. I'd also suggest a Ruger SP101.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
A S&W would be my vote, or a used Colt Detective Special if you can find one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am bias toward Smith revolvers. Own a j-frame now and have two other Smith revolvers on the wish list.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I carry and shoot a j-frame taurus. it has not failed me yet, fired when pulled the trigger, and reasonably priced to begin with. yup, not much fun to shoot after your 1st box of 50 rounds.

·
Registered
624 Posts
IMHO lightweight revolvers (unless you are a gorilla) have way to much muzzle flip to be accurate at any more than five feet. I got rid of my Smith 637 and bought a Model 60. Even with that, there's a lot of muzzle flip. Are you planning on concealing this revolver? That's the only reason to get something as light as a snubby. Otherwise, I'd look at a Smith 686 7 shot, which addresses the problem of capacity. The 4" barrel models look winter concealable to me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just a thought, have you rented any small revolvers yet to see how you like them. I had two S&W j frames but sold/traded since I didn't care for the rather harsh recoil. I did try a Ruger LCR recently, though, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the trigger was and how the recoil wasn't as bad as the Smiths.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I love my Smith. It is the gold standard for a reason.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Rossi MODEL R46102 .357 MAGNUM 2"
I almost purchased this gun at one time. Look at the ballistics
first...you lose a lot of the "Magnum" part with it only being a
two inch barrel. Read somewhere were a guy fired 6 rounds
of .357 with no hearing protection and lost 40% of his hearing
in one ear.

Taurus ULTRA-LITE MODEL 85 .38 SPL
Have heard people say negative things but, not sure myself.

Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR).38 SPL+
These are still very expensive. Hope they come down someday
as I would get one.

S&W J frame Model 317 Revolve
I think most people will say the Smith is the best out of all
the choices.

Have you looked into the P3AT or LCP? They are light to
carry everyday.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
go with the J-frame

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
On the Taurus, you may want to consider the 85 in stainless steel, as the added weight makes it a much more comfortable shooter. The Ultralights can be a bugger at the range.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite in .38 Spl, hammerless/shrouded, and it's been a good gun. It's gone bang every time so there's really nothing bad I can say about it. I've probably fired around 250 rounds without any issue and I don't consider the recoil an issue either. The recoil feels close to a 9mm to me. I want to say it's around 17 oz., but I think anything lighter would be too light. I keep it loaded with 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel +P.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Taurus 851 ultralight SS. It's like a model 85 but with a knub of a hammer as not to catch on clothing during removal from its holster. I fitted a crimson trace handgrip. I like the pistol. The knub hammer is mostly useless, a total shaved hammer would have been just as good. The only time I use the knub hammer is at the range and safe decocking is anything but confidence inspiring. In fact, it's pretty terrifying :aargh4:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am currently sitting here wearing my Rossi 461 02 Blue 6 shot 357 mag revolver... I have owned several S&Ws and have carried a five shot Taurus 651 SS... I like the Rossi because I get 6 shots and I stoke mine with Gold Dots in the "short barrel" variety. Very accurate.

I really like the S&W offerings, I really prefer SS (Stainless Steel) but I got a price I could not beat....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Money no object ...buy the S&W.
Money an object...Go with the Taurus ULTRA-LITE MODEL 85 .38 SPL
The Taurus are great guns for the money!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have the Taurus 85UL and I like it a lot. I installed a set of lightweight Wolff springs, bobbed the hammer, and put on a set of three-finger Pachy grips so I can hold on to it (I have big hands). It's a nice piece to shoot and with the grips, I can shoot +p from it all day. It's been 100% reliable, and as accurate as any other snubbie. The price won't break the bank, either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts