Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that those words should usually never belong in the same sentence to most members. But let me continue. When I bought my first handgun 23 years ago I was working county corrections as a Deputy Jailor and made a whopping 7 something dollars an hour. I needed a service pistol for when I would transport inmates to court or the hospital. I had just served four years in the Marines, most Attached to the Marine Security Forces. I had extensive knowledge and trigger time with a Beretta 92, but could not afford one. With little manufactures knowledge I purchased a Taurus 92 AF, and it served me well. Since then I have moved from a Sig P239 to a S&W Shield, to G19 and now a CZ P-01 as my CCW. Today I decided to take the Taurus to the range. I had not shot it in about 10 years. 100 rounds down the pipe with no hiccups. It will never be my go to pistol again, but it could and I would be confident in it. I know that Taurus hadn't had the plant long and I believe it was probably their most reliable pistol to date. IMG_3500.jpg IMG_3501.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but it seems Taurus does better with manufacturing proven designs (Beretta 92, 1911) than their own stuff. I almost bought a pt 92 years ago, but it sold before I could get back to the shop .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read reviews before I buy anything now and take them into account before I decide to look or purchase. I did decide to try PT111G2 a few years ago, $199.00, as a cheaper pistol I could carry when traveling by plane (in case it got lost in baggage). They got good reviews, but I hated the trigger mushy trigger pull and I kept it for a week before I sold it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a PT 709 Taurus and have not had any problems with it. I saw a review where they took several 9mm compacts and run 1500 rounds thru them without cleaning and Taurus PT 709 slim and Glock 43 where the only 2 to make it.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Buddy of mine bought a stainless PT-92 a year ago because it was cheap and "shiny" (great mechanic, absolutely no experience with firearms) and as much as I don't trust Taurus autos, his hasn't had any serious issues. Trigger pull seemed real sloppy to me but it fed FMJ and put holes in paper with okay accuracy. I'm glad that he got lucky and his first firearm with no knowledge of what he was getting into was inexpensive AND reliable (usually mutually exclusive).

Still trying to convince him to get something that is easier to carry (its a glovebox/nightstand gun right now) and he says he can't afford to cause he keeps putting go-fast parts in his vehicles. And then his vehicles break... a vicious cycle I'm glad I didn't get sucked into. I got sucked into guns and those are sooo much cheaper! :rolleyes:

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My Taurus 650 CIA has been a great gun for years. I've heard bad things about there revolvers, but I have yet to experience it.
20150625_184706.jpg

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yours looks nice.

I had one years ago...worked great, but it was just not for me.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a 92 that I bought back when the high cap nine craze first started. This gun has never failed to shoot and shoot well. It is too heavy to carry but it would make a good H.D. gun.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
My first carry handgun was a model 85ss . Still have it and carried it for many years . Great trigger in it and still looks good . There also a couple TCP's and a PT111G2 in the family , all reliable handguns .

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I picked up a Taurus model 85 for my wife's night stand gun. It goes to range every now and again. Works just fine.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I know that those words should usually never belong in the same sentence to most members. But let me continue...
Because you are both a Son of the Bluegrass AND a Devil Dog, I'm forced, by my honor, to trust you. Now I don't have to beLIEVE you, but I HAVE to trust you. My open contempt of all-things Taurus is pretty well-known around here. Yet, truthfully, their Model 92 would (almost) be...easy for me to own! :biggrin2:

Reactions: Taurahe and Brad426

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Taurus has been around for a while, but IIRC they really got their start in the U.S. market with their M92. The Taurus 92 was produced in a Beretta facility, using Beretta specs, tooling, and (former) employees. It is almost certainly the best pistol they have ever made.

I have neither a love nor hate for Taurus, but I've never been seriously tempted by any Taurus semi-auto EXCEPT the Model 92. The early ones, at least, were just a Beretta by another name. I've only owned one Taurus handgun - a Model 44 revolver that has seen very little use, but seems to be a decent gun. I might or might not ever buy another Taurus revolver, but I doubt there are any of their SA's in my future unless I happened across a good deal on a 92!

Reactions: Shiver

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I wouldn't mind one of their 92 clones. Problem is finding one like yours w/out a rail is pretty tough. Just like 1911's, I just don't like a railed 92.

Reactions: Shiver

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guess I'm lucky, I have a Taurus 651 357mag that rivals all my S&W snubs. Action and trigger smooth as silk. Also a 941 22mag that has served well for years (5Krds.) as a hiking gun.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Because you are both a Son of the Bluegrass AND a Devil Dog, I'm forced, by my honor, to trust you. Now I don't have to beLIEVE you, but I HAVE to trust you. My open contempt of all-things Taurus is pretty well-known around here. Yet, truthfully, their Model 92 would (almost) be...easy for me to own! :biggrin2:
I, on the other hand, while being a Son of the Bluegrass was Army, so I am under no obligation to trust or believe a jarhead. I have a couple of Taurus guns that were okay in my lifetime (including a 92), but I've had as many that were not. About the same rate as Kahr, now that I think about it...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a little experience with the PT 92. I don't know the exact round count but definitely over 500. A few +P here and there but primarily standard rounds. It doesn't get as much range time as it should but it has been a great shooter, flawless performance so far. It will throw hot brass back at you once in a while, but I've heard this is not an issue unique to this pistol.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If memory serves me correctly the Taurus 92 was made in the factory Beretta owned and sold to Taurus. Beretta sold the entire factory including the tooling and machinery. I had a friend who had one in the mid 1980s and it was one of his best handguns. Over time craftsmanship seems to be something most companies lose and Taurus is no different. I hope they can find it consistently.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I will be happy to pick up the contempt level for you ghost !!! No taurus love from either, and never will be. OP, glad it has served you well over the years and I hope it continues to do so. Never will be my cup of tea though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll only vouche for my early production 92, no others. But I must say I have been very lucky and with a couple of dozen handgun purchaces under my belt, I've never bought one that hasn't run right out of the box and that includes a couple of questionable manufactures purchased early on in my addiction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts