Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live is central MS 60 miles from Jackson, 20 miles from Kosciusko, a small town and 10 from a tiny town. It's only 1/2 mile past me to the end of the pavement then it's dirt roads. Not much traffic. 75 to 150 cars pass the house in most 24 hour periods. I have only handful of houses within a mile of me. The house is 120 feet from the road with a 10 foot wide north-south driveway 30 feet to the west then tree coverage west of the driveway.

About noon I was sitting at the computer in the front west bedroom when I heard a car coming from the east with the stereo turned up LOUD, you know, bass way up with an amp and sub woofer. As it passed to the west I heard the bang and then pellets passing through the trees to the west of the driveway. That's the trees only 40 feet west of the house.

Jumped up and went out the front door hoping to get a look at the vehicle. Didn't move fast enough. We live on a curve.

Stopped by my truck and a 4 foot wide Oak tree and took less than 10 seconds of back and forth to deicide. Risk confrontation by giving chase to get a plate or stay safe behind my truck and my new best friend, you know that BIG WIDE OAK tree. Did not give chase. Did call it in just to have it on record. Sure hope this was a random event and not that we were specificity targeted.

I had a Glock 19 on my side as always. That was good.

Ran past a gun rack with a 357 S&W, 44 Blackhawk, a 30-06 and several other handguns and rifles. (Yes, all loaded, no there are no kids in the house.) I was dumb not to have grabbed heaver extra weapons. I was lucky. Not doing so could have been a very bad move. Still kicking my self over that.

What else did I do wrong. Or not do right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
To me this sounds like one of those "gun practice" or drivebys for newer gangs members. Hmm, my father had that similar situation, there we're young ones who pull out guns and dry fired into crowd, even one of them pointed one at my father outside of the mall and heard the click.

I'm no real expert but Imo, you're not "targeted" they seem practice on random innocents before going into real competition. When projectiles start going through the window, my first thought is to hit on the ground and crawl to safety in case they come inside.

Try get one of those security cameras just in case they come back for round 2, so you can get the descriptions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All good instead of running outside I would have grabbed a long gun and stayed inside and assessed the situation. No point in making yourself a target by going outside.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could see out the front windows that the car had moved past so it was clear to go out the door.

No signs near but a semi fancy mailbox at the driveway could have been the target..??

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like kids just shooting in the woods. I would just take caution. I hope they don't come back.

·
8,501 Posts
I think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

This was stupid people doing stupid things and not obeying rule 4. They were not shooting at you or your house.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
To me this sounds like one of those "gun practice" or drivebys for newer gangs members. Hmm, my father had that similar situation, there we're young ones who pull out guns and dry fired into crowd, even one of them pointed one at my father outside of the mall and heard the click. I'm no real expert but Imo, you're not "targeted" they seem practice on random innocents before going into real competition. When projectiles start going through the window, my first thought is to hit on the ground and crawl to safety in case they come inside. Try get one of those security cameras just in case they come back for round 2, so you can get the descriptions.
LOL. Try again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
How about a game camera in the driveway and down by the road. Photo every car that goes by, so what? Photos are free. You might catch a terrorist. Game camera caught an arsonist out our way.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

This was stupid people doing stupid things and not obeying rule 4. They were not shooting at you or your house.

What? Someone shooting at his property and him worrying about it are way out of proportion? If the round hit 40 feet from his house why should he not be worried about this?

It may just be stupid kids but they still need to be punished if possible. How do you know the next time there won't be someone there that gets shot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They shot at your hose and missed.

Unless you are bigger than a house, they won't be able to hit you either.

Reactions: gloves12

·
Registered
636 Posts

And you know this how? He didn't say they shot the neighbors ss well, just him.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it's out joy riding and popping caps so you're not really the target. If you run out like that again grab an AR15.

·
8,501 Posts
What? Someone shooting at his property and him worrying about it are way out of proportion? If the round hit 40 feet from his house why should he not be worried about this?

It may just be stupid kids but they still need to be punished if possible. How do you know the next time there won't be someone there that gets shot.
From the OP:

The house is 120 feet from the road...snip...As it passed to the west I heard the bang and then pellets passing through the trees to the west of the driveway. That's the trees only 40 feet west of the house.
Well, since it needs explained I guess I"ll spell it all out. Regular bird shot through cover/debris at 40 yards isn't even close to lethal. It could damage an eye but it won't even penetrate your jeans. So the "round" didn't hit 40 feet from his house, bird shot passed through the trees 40 feet from his house.

And you know this how? He didn't say they shot the neighbors ss well, just him.
I know this because I live in the country and I've seen at least 1000 road signs peppered with shot over the years. It's what stupid kids do for fun.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
From the OP:

Well, since it needs explained I guess I"ll spell it all out. Regular bird shot through cover/debris at 40 yards isn't even close to lethal. It could damage an eye but it won't even penetrate your jeans. So the "round" didn't hit 40 feet from his house, bird shot passed through the trees 40 feet from his house.

I know this because I live in the country and I've seen at least 1000 road signs peppered with shot over the years. It's what stupid kids do for fun.

And how does any of that make this OK?

·
8,501 Posts
And how does any of that make this OK?
I don't recall posting anything about condoning what happened.

The reality of the situation is that it's just stupid country kids doing stupid country things.

My first post said that the OP was overreacting and I stand by that. It's the country and people shoot stuff out here all of the time. The shot didn't hit him, his house, his truck or anything of value. The only thing we know is that the shot went through "the trees".

For all we know the shot was at something up in the tree like a coon.

Reactions: Shootnlead

·
Registered
67 Posts
As an aside you were not "Left of Bang". LoB implies you predicted the attack and either avoided it, foiled it, or shot the sucker in the face before he could perpetrate said attack. recognizing something isn't right is the first step to being left of bang and usually the most important. Your spidey senses appear to be in working order, although I tend to believe it was stupid kids as well. @Novarider it isn't ok, just most likely not shoot em in the face worthy. Maybe shoot em in the butt with rocksalt however.
That being said glad you are fine and sounds like no real property damage so that is a plus as well.

·
8,501 Posts
@Novarider it isn't ok, just most likely not shoot em in the face worthy.
Exactly! It's not shoot them in the face worthy. It is also not "Risk confrontation by giving chase to get a plate" worthy nor is it hide behind "my truck and my new best friend, you know that BIG WIDE OAK tree" worthy.

·
Banned
37 Posts
no, you dont shoot anyone in the butt with rocksalt. Doing so will probably land you in prison and get you sued out of every dime you ever make, along with maybe getting you killed if they have a gun. it's use of lethal force, when you dont really have reason to do so (even in your own mind) A very, very bad combination in court. discharging of a firearm in anyone's direction, even if provably with non-lethal ammo, is still aggravated assault, an 8 year felony.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts