Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always been able to tell subtle differences in recoil among the same caliber when shooting different loads in most of my guns but never anything major. A few days ago I took my new LC9S pro to the range with 2 different loads. Strange thing was it felt like shooting 2 entirely different calibers. My standard go to target load is a reload 115g bullet behind Winchester 231. I ran about 100 rounds of that though the LC9s and thought it felt a bit snappy but mainly attributed that to not having shot small 9mm's much recently. I then switched over to my go to self defense load which is the 147g Federal HST. The difference was amazing. The 231 load felt snappy almost like a .40 and the HST felt pushy like a .45. The thing I am trying to figure out is if it has more to do with the powder or the heavier bullet. I'm thinking I want to pick up some 147g 9mm's to load just to test as I actually enjoyed shooting the HST's more than my own load. Any one else experience anything like this?

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Could be a bit of both.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would think it has to do with acceleration. Lighter bullets will send off faster and 'snap', whereas heavier will not, given the same powder charge... Of course, I could be entirely wrong...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Both? Slower powder and a heavier bullet?

Nice to hear from you, Rollo! It's been awhile.
Indeed! To long! My work schedule has been keeping my incredibly busy. I racked up 370,000 delta frequent flyer miles last year... The Information Security field is booming these days.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I shot some of Winchester's W Train and Defend Ammo. The range demo had 10 rounds mixed (JHP & FMJ) at random I could not tell the difference (Firearm used was an M&P C.O.R.E.)

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
Indeed! To long! My work schedule has been keeping my incredibly busy. I racked up 370,000 delta frequent flyer miles last year... The Information Security field is bombing these days.
Amen to that - just ask our new forum owners!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'm thinking it's the heavier bullet, which is why I predominately reload 147s for my 9mms.

To me a 147 at 950 FPs or so "feels" softer than a 115 or 124 at standard velocity. I seem to get back on the target faster with the 147s. I actually reload my 147s using 231 (actually HP38), which is why I doubt its the powder.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts