Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were like me, and didn't actually own a centerfire rifle that used detachable magazines because you don't like messing with them, but you wanted to get your mitts on such a rifle so you could take you some basic rifle and carbine training, what would you get your mitts on?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'll tackle this from ''what could I borrow'' angle.

If Euc - you were a great deal nearer to me, I would happily get you to the range to shoot FAL in .308 and maybe too some fun with Mini 14 (.223 of course). Throw in the AK and we'd have a blast - you'd then get a good sample of what might interest you. :)

Cost will be lowest at AK end of scale (leaving out SKS as they are fixed mag as std) ........ tho a used Mini may not be too much more. FAL tho a step up in the cost game.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The CETME .308 rifles are really nice. Thye use the H&K 91 mags (20 Rndr's) and they run about 425.00 to 500.00 G3 parts will fit as well.....they have the wood stocks and handguards. Might be a good option for ya

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Cetme was gonna be my choice also i have one but some people dont want the 308 carbine so that why i asked caliber and $$

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I used to have a Mini-14. Good gun but they've gotten pretty pricey. I'd proabably opt for either an AK or a Cetme/FAL/G3

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I love my -91. I suppose it depends on your level of "sensitivity", re: caliber. I have the A3 (collapsing) stock, and have no complaints. It certainly is not a AR (pop-gun recoil). You are firing a MBR.

DO NOT buy an alloy receiver G3/Cetme. If you have the $$, the PTR's are supposed to be very nice ($600-$700), and about what you would spend for a basic AR- maybe a bit less. BigBore I believe has owned/shot the PTR clone, if you wanted to contact him for an assessment. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts