Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's my gun or my holster:blink:
I have been carrying all day every day since I got my CPL in mid-March, and I've never had a problem with comfort.
Today has been a completely different story. I carried my normal summer carry gun in the same holster I've been using since Day 1.
It has been pinching me all day, and after 8 hours, I couldn't stand it anymore.
Now bear in mind nothing is any different from what I normally wear, no unusual activities,no injuries, nothing different at all.
Well other than a big sore red mark, one on my left hip at the bottom edge of where the belt rides, and another one on the right hip about an inch or so lower than the one on the other side.
What the____?
Anybody else ever have a day where it was painful to carry?

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
I've had days where my most comfortable shoes, the shoes I wear almost every day, just kill my feet. Who knows why?

Is it possible that your belt was just a little looser or tighter that usual? I know you said nothing was different but......

Hey, some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug!

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I have been carrying all day every day since I got my CPL in mid-March, and I've never had a problem with comfort.
Today has been a completely different story. I carried my normal summer carry gun in the same holster I've been using since Day 1.
It has been pinching me all day, and after 8 hours, I couldn't stand it anymore.
Now bear in mind nothing is any different from what I normally wear, no unusual activities,no injuries, nothing different at all.
Well other than a big sore red mark, one on my left hip at the bottom edge of where the belt rides, and another one on the right hip about an inch or so lower than the one on the other side.
What the____?
Stay off the Budweiser and mix in a couple salads every now and then. :danceban:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stay off the Budweiser and mix in a couple salads every now and then. :danceban:
LOL, maybe some Jack Daniels is in order, as a pain reliever of course:image035:

It just seems strange that after carrying the same gun/holster combo for the past few months that all of a sudden it is uncomfortable.

Maybe I'll change up to my J-frame for a couple days?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Try looking at your belt

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try looking at your belt
For?
I did think of it and it doesn't seem to show any signs of wear, or stretching, is there something else I should look for?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sorry to say this RugerGirl, but when my holster started to bother me I stepped on the scale and realized I had put on 10 lbs.

NOT THAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Please be easy on me, but that was what had happened to ME.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
What the____?
Yes actually...I call them my 'heavy days'. Nothing funny about them actually, it's just some days during the summer I tend to feel over my normal weight....bloated, or retaining water, or something I can only part way explain. But it happens, and it has happened to me occasionally. I could rearrange until the cows come home and it wouldn't help. My best advice...suck it up and deal with the pain for a day or two, or go to one of your alternative methods for carry. As for the painful experience and what's actually causing it for you, I hope it goes away eventually, and probably will. Our bodies change at times even though that may not affect the way our clothes fit. I tend to put on a bit of extra weight in the colder months...but thank goodness for OWB carry and cover garments! Those 'heavy days' I mentioned may also be more prevalent with women than with men. I'm just guessing here and not actually assuming anything. I hope all is well with you and your carry as soon as possible. Definitely try those alternative options when you get to the point the pain is too much. I would normally tell the men to tough it out for a while longer in this situation until they can't deal with the pain any longer. But the truth is, women can better deal with pain than any man alive. Childbirth is enough proof of that.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Well, it seems like you are doing your best to be analytical about troubleshooting the situation.

I got nothing! I know that at times for me, after 6 or 8 hours, I really start feeling the gun/rig. Most the time I can go 18 hours or more without problems.

It could be changing rigs and changing positions for a while is what is in order.

Let us know if you find a definite culprit and good luck girl.

As Clint Smith often says... Carrying a gun should be comforting... not necessarily comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
After a long period of time sometimes it will bother me too. Maybe you leaned one way for an inordinately long time. Something was probably just a little different. I think sometimes it's kind of like the "law of averages".

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to say this RugerGirl, but when my holster started to bother me I stepped on the scale and realized I had put on 10 lbs.

GASP- 10 pounds???
What next? You're gonna have me looking in the mirror for a grey hair?

j/k, but be warned, I'm stubborn(just ask hubby). I will try the Kimber again tomorrow. If it still bothers me I'll switch to the J-frame, which I carry more over the appendix and give my hip a rest for a day or two. I don't think the heavy 686+ will help and the Model 29, is even heavier.
Gee I sure hope I don't have to go out and buy another gun?:image035:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, Kidney pain as a matter of fact.

I had been out of state for about a week, in a non-reciprocity state, so I wasn't carrying. Upon entering back into my home state, I started carrying again and by the end of the day I had kidney area pain.

Other than that, what RamRod said has applied to me from time to time.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Not to get personal but you could be retaining water maybe? May even be bloat from gas? :embarassed:

I have had days when it has felt uncomfortable to carry for reasons that are not easy to put a finger on other than to know something feels different.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to get personal but you could be retaining water maybe? May even be bloat from gas? :embarassed:

I have had days when it has felt uncomfortable to carry for reasons that are not easy to put a finger on other than to know something feels different.
Ah ha, you might be onto something RK. It could be that big dinner last night, sometimes BBQ ribs, grilled potatoes and corn on the cob fills me up too much(or I ate too much?).

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Ah ha, you might be onto something RK. It could be that big dinner last night, sometimes BBQ ribs, grilled potatoes and corn on the cob fills me up too much(or I ate too much?).
Take a little Pepto and call me in the morning, my bill is already in the mail.:hand5:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
363 Posts

It took guts to even make that as a possibility to a woman with a gun!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
For?
I did think of it and it doesn't seem to show any signs of wear, or stretching, is there something else I should look for?
Rolling?

Also, most belts (except some top-of-the-line gun-belts and maybe some other top-of-the-line belts that I am not aware of) are cut on a straight line from the leather. So, when you lay the gun belt out on a table, it lays completely flat in a straight line. However, with enough wear they will stretch into a contour of some degree.

Some are cut from the leather at a slight angle so that the belt won't lay flat, but matches the rounded contours of the hips.

Many gun-belts are made of 2 layers of leather that is glued together and then stitched together. To eliminate stretching, some makers glue the strips together with the grain from each piece running in opposite ways.

The weight of a gun can make any belt stretch/contour to some degree.

BTW -- single layer belts stretch/contour much faster than dbl layer belts.

With all that as background (which you may already know) try this.

1) Buckle & lay another well broken-in belt (broken-in w/o a gun) on a table.

2) Buckle & lay your current gun-belt beside it.

3) Look for differences in any contour between the two.

It could be that the weight of the gun has changed the gun-belt's contour to where the belt is riding slightly different.

OTOH slight differences in weight and water bloating can also change the way a belt rides (as others have pointed out).

Good luck on figuring it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts