Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and her husband live out in the country and have a various assortment of animals. Their goat hangs out with the dog and goes wherever she does. When my daughter is outside, the goat is her constant companion...you can see her through the back door behind the dog.

goat.jpg

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
When we lived out in the country in another state, we bought four Pygmy Goats to keep the vegetation down. Turned out one of the goats was pregnant, so Baby Alex was a bonus.

The backyard with grass was cross fenced. When the grass got long, my wife would open the gate and let the goats in for a treat. One Christmas time, she was baking and let the goats in the backyard. She had left the backdoor open with the heat in the kitchen. She heard a strange noise in the house. Baby Alex was eating the Christmas Tree.

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we lived out in the country in another state, we bought four Pygmy Goats to keep the vegetation down. Turned out one of the goats was pregnant, so Baby Alex was a bonus.

The backyard with grass was cross fenced. When the grass got long, my wife would open the gate and let the goats in for a treat. One Christmas time, she was baking and let the goats in the backyard. She had left the backdoor open with the heat in the kitchen. She heard a strange noise in the house. Baby Alex was eating the Christmas Tree.
Pygmy goats are the cutest! I bet your wife wasn't the least bit mad at Baby Alex.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Yepper - goats will eat anything and everything! My one step son and family had a goat they named "Boo Boo" and it tried to eat my leather purse one day when we were standing in the yard visiting. Also, they had goat foot prints all over their vehicles, but that didn't bother them because they weren't big on neatness or cleanliness.

Little goats are really cute, but -- and for me that is a big BUT! I do love goat milk cheeses though, all of them, and goat yogurt is totally delicious in my book.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Bless you for posting something other than CV related.

I didn't have goats, but I had several chickens raised from those little blue or green Easter chicks. My dad once bought a Polish chicken and that thing followed me everywhere. It would fly up onto my bedroom window sill to roost if I left the windows open.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I like your picture- cute! Thanks for the nice post and thought.

On one of my preferred rides, there's a remote/rural stretch through ranch and farmland. Along part of this particular road, there is a small spread where what I have come to refer to as "the three friends" live. There is an old barn where they share a stall and some outside pasture space. Today the goat was chilling, on guard duty, while his friends grazed nearby.

I had passed this place many times, then one time a couple of years ago I happened to catch a white, fluffy mass out of the corner of my eye. It must have been early march and he still had his winter coat on. I had been familiar with the horses but the goat was a new addition back then.

Here are the three friends-goat, mini horse, "regular" sized horse.

xi8AOad.jpg

Here is their barn- the stall is to the left under the white part of the roof.

JYnKJF8.png

And here is the beautiful road they live next to. In the shot with the bike, they are to the left.

9CIcAKw.jpg

DXBQphi.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like your picture- cute! Thanks for the nice post and thought.

On one of my preferred rides, there's a remote/rural stretch through ranch and farmland. Along part of this particular road, there is a small spread where what I have come to refer to as "the three friends" live. There is an old barn where they share a stall and some outside pasture space. Today the goat was chilling, on guard duty, while his friends grazed nearby.

I had passed this place many times, then one time a couple of years ago I happened to catch a white, fluffy mass out of the corner of my eye. It must have been early march and he still had his winter coat on. I had been familiar with the horses but the goat was a new addition back then.

Here are the three friends-goat, mini horse, "regular" sized horse.

View attachment 327910

Here is their barn- the stall is to the left under the white part of the roof.

View attachment 327912

And here is the beautiful road they live next to. In the shot with the bike, they are to the left.

View attachment 327914

View attachment 327916
The attachments aren't working for me, but your description says it all.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
One of my grandfathers kept goats back in the 70’s. He had a rather tall fence around the garden.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The world would be a much poorer place without our animal companions. Even the wild critters around my place add a lot to the quality of life here.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Finally! :lolp:

Nice pictures! I'd forgotten how flat New Mexico is. I used to live in Lubbock...even flatter.
Only the flat part is flat. :smile:

That's one of the things I love about where we live- 20 minutes North and I'm into the mountains and National Forest. 20 minutes South and I'm out onto the high desert plains with huge wide open spaces and massive views.

I grew up in the woods of the Northeast and while I loved that, after many years I needed a change.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The world would be a much poorer place without our animal companions. Even the wild critters around my place add a lot to the quality of life here.
My wife is a true dog person, and yes, we have one. But I have told her many times I would much prefer to watch squirrels chase each other around a tree, or rabbits hopping through the yard, or deer grazing in the distance, than to play with our dog or any other dog. But that's just me. I enjoy wildlife more than I do domesticated animals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts