Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mold that casts 250gr .45 wadcutters - that's right, full wadcutters. Sent some to a guy to test in his .45 Colt. Here are the results of 5 shots at 15 yards:

45 Wadcutter Target.jpg

Always a darn flyer, but yeah, that'll work.

Don

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Full wadcutter's were THE bullet of choice in .38 Bullseye competition for a long time.

I have never shot a full wadcutter in any caliber that was not very accurate.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, .38 wadcutters are a known quantity. But a 250gr .45 wadcutter? Would make a heck of a self defense load.

Don

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yep, .38 wadcutters are a known quantity. But a 250gr .45 wadcutter? Would make a heck of a self defense load.

Don
Actually, it will make a heck of most "anything" round.

I shoot these 180gr wadcutters in my 44mag carbine...they are DEVASTATING on GA deer.

0126162229_zpsma5sfc9j.jpg

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Actually, it will make a heck of most "anything" round.

I shoot these 180gr wadcutters in my 44mag carbine...they are DEVASTATING on GA deer.
I'd believe that. There's nothing more devastating than watching a deer tumble, get up and run over the horizon. My devastation and embarrassment will only be realized when I am the the final whip of the gauntlet. Deer drives are not pretty but it's better than relying on automobiles.

We'll head north, set up another drive and and push it (them) toward the woods on the other side of the golf course.

Fore!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'd believe that. There's nothing more devastating than watching a deer tumble, get up and run over the horizon.

I agree...and I don't have to worry about that with those wadcutters from the rifle...they are not blistering fast...average 1500fps...but, they are destructive on animals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree...and I don't have to worry about that with those wadcutters from the rifle...they are not blistering fast...average 1500fps...but, they are destructive on animals.
That's the beauty of a large, heavy bullet; they kill all out of proportion to the energy listed on a ballistics table at low velocity.

Don

·
Registered
497 Posts
Those heavy full wadcutter bullets are great from a .45 ACP/AutoRim revolver as well. They're not just for .45 Colt anymore.

The early Webley revolvers chambered in .455 Eley featured a 260 grain bullet (five grains more than 255) at a rather slow velocity (620 fps from one source). They were considered 'effective'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts