Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year old son is in middle school. Last Thursday my son wore his "2009 National Match" T-shirt from Camp Perry. It was a gift from a friend and his wife who go every year to help the target range. He was in class when the teacher told him his shirt was not appropriate in school, because it has pictures of guns on it. She told him to go to the bathroom, and turn it inside out. He put his hoodie on over it instead.
I wrote the teacher an E-mail, to explain that my son has first amendment rights in a public school. The supreme court in Tinker vs Des Moines 1969 upheld the first amendment in public schools. I am still waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I admire you taking up for your son and his rights. I bet you could not wear this shirt on an airplane either. Strange world we live in

·
Registered
146 Posts
The student handbook for our local schools explicitly state that shirts with images of guns are not allowed. Also not allowed are shirts with racial remarks, etc. Our schools pretty up front about it. We wouldn't have an argument here.

If your schools don't have a formal policy that states such, I'd have a hard time with a teacher arbitrarily deciding what's appropriate/offensive and what isn't.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I never did understand the whole "turn your shirt inside out" ideology. You'd think this would draw more attention to the shirt seeing as it being inside out is abnormal.

I understand that there is appropriate and inappropriate clothing to wear to school. However, I looked up the national match website (I had no idea what it was) and I can only assume that the t-shirt would be innocent enough. Just because there are pictures of guns on a shirt doesn't make it inappropriate, I believe that it is the context in which they are pictured that makes them inappropriate.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just because there are pictures of guns on a shirt doesn't make it inappropriate, I believe that it is the context in which they are pictured that makes them inappropriate.
True enough. But rules are written for the exception, not the norm. They aren't going to go to the extent of saying which depictions of a gun are OK and which aren't. Easier and less confusion to just state, "no images of guns."

·
Registered
200 Posts
True enough. But rules are written for the exception, not the norm. They aren't going to go to the extent of saying which depictions of a gun are OK and which aren't. Easier and less confusion to just state, "no images of guns."
I was talking more along the lines of if there was nothing specifically stated about guns in the rules. If the school is up front about their clothing policies by stating "no guns depicted on clothing" then the rules should be followed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeh, that's my thought too. If no official policy, I'd have real heartburn with a teacher willy-nilly making decisions like that.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
The student handbook for our local schools explicitly state that shirts with images of guns are not allowed. Also not allowed are shirts with racial remarks, etc. Our schools pretty up front about it.
That is sad. :|

An image of a firearm as overall within context toward one of this nations most prestigious civilian sporting events would be deemed same as that of imagery toward denigration of human beings as based on race and/or creed which also within context had been nothing but bad for this nation.

Kudos to you md7 for responding as you did.
You might now win but as in your sons eye you are not a loser.

Best of luck to you!

- Janq is a dad too

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I believe the T-shirt ban started with sexual overtone shirts like the Johnson shirts and they just kept adding anything they felt was controversial to it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yup, 30 years ago I was made to do the same. Only it wasn't guns, hell nobody found guns offensive. My US Breast Stroke Team however, was a no no.:slap:

·
Registered
42,130 Posts
If the teacher doesn't agree, tell son to take his shirt off...and shoot the teacher with it.
How stupid!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I wonder how they teach history...there might be a image of a gun involved. Then there's that pesky old 2nd Amenment which actually say guns are ok...
Pretty soon they're gonna rewrite history to say the revolutionary war was all Peace Talks and Negotiation. And we politely asked Japan to surrender during WWII.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wonder how they teach history...there might be a image of a gun involved. Then there's that pesky old 2nd Amenment which actually say guns are ok...
Well, they just don't bother teaching kids about the second amendment anymore. Teach 'em the first amendment and then jump straight to the fourth.

I agree, it's a sad state of affairs in our country.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pretty soon they're gonna rewrite history to say the revolutionary war was all Peace Talks and Negotiation. And we politely asked Japan to surrender during WWII.
You say pretty soon, but already according to some the Holocaust never happened :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
And does this school system teach the US Constitution? What a bunch of hypocrites.....:mad:

It amazes what a bunch of liberal holier than thou morons work in our school systems. I'm sure that it's not all of them but an overwhelming majority seem to fit the description.

·
Registered
612 Posts
A great many nations have a firearm on their national flag, an AK-47. So have those been removed from all the school books too?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
He probably would have been praised if he had worn a Che t-shirt.
That is most probably true! :saevilw:

It should not surprise me if some day soon it is considered not appropriate to wear a T-shirt with an American flag on it because it could offend some ethnic groups.
:usa:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts