Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you all. I have a Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag and I am interested in getting the hammer bobbed. Any recommendations for a where/how to get this done? Does anyone make a hammer that you can replace the current one? Basically I know nothing about this kind of thing and need some help. Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tony,
I do my own. I use a Dremel tool for cut off and polish and then a small round wire brush in the Dremel with polishing compound for the jeweling.
Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
A factory bobbed hammer option will maintain the same weight as the spur hammer. If you cut a spur hammer the weight will be less. This can effect the primer strike and increase chance gun will not go bang.

·
Registered
456 Posts
jack76590 said:
A factory bobbed hammer option will maintain the same weight as the spur hammer. If you cut a spur hammer the weight will be less. This can effect the primer strike and increase chance gun will not go bang.
I'll have to disagree. While the mass is less the hammer speed will increase resulting in equal or possibly greater striking force at the primer.
I can't remember whether it was on the Enos forum or the S&W forum but there was a great thread on this.
There are some very "skeletonized" hammers running on USPSA wheelguns.
Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
TonyW: Why don't you keep the one you have and just buy one with the factory bobbed hammer then you can two to choose from. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
QK hit the nail on the head! Gemini is the best at this and make some sweet weapons.

Ti.

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
That is One Sweet Looking SP 101 by Gemini.
Almost nice enough to make me revert back to wheelgunner. :image035:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You can also call Terry Baylor at Nowlin Gun Company (Claremore, OK). He has done four revolvers for me and I have never had any problem with any of them afterwards. If you decide to let me know and I'll pre-warn him.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. I'd love to have Gemini do some work on it but unfortunately price is an issue. The cheapest package I saw was like $350 once you include shipping and all of that. I can pretty much buy another revolver for that much - a little Taurus or some such. I was kind of hoping that I could just buy a new hammer and have a local 'smith install it. Maybe I'll just have to start saving my pennies. :smile:

And I am probably the most un-handy person you've ever met. I'd love to try doing it myself but I am fairly sure it would turn out "not good." Ever see the cliche of the husband working on the plumbing and only making it worse and having to call the plumber anyway? Well, that's me.

I think I'll have to save a couple of those Gemini pics for my desktop though. lol

·
Super Moderator
13,192 Posts
Actually since the mass of a bobbed hammer would be less, the speed would be higher, but the energy would be the same because the spring is essentially a fixed energy source. But the momentum would be less with a bobbed hammer because of the same energy and lower mass. In this case the primer strike would be lighter due to the drop in momentum.

But, that's all kinda academic anyway since the proof is in the puddin'.

BTW, isn't that modifying a stock gun? How come I catch flack about doin' a G-17 trigger job and everybody seems to be comfortable with self-bobbing a hammer which could also effect reliability? :confused:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
TonyW said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'd love to have Gemini do some work on it but unfortunately price is an issue. The cheapest package I saw was like $350 once you include shipping and all of that. I can pretty much buy another revolver for that much - a little Taurus or some such. I was kind of hoping that I could just buy a new hammer and have a local 'smith install it. Maybe I'll just have to start saving my pennies. :smile:

And I am probably the most un-handy person you've ever met. I'd love to try doing it myself but I am fairly sure it would turn out "not good." Ever see the cliche of the husband working on the plumbing and only making it worse and having to call the plumber anyway? Well, that's me.

I think I'll have to save a couple of those Gemini pics for my desktop though. lol
Tony, you can have Gemini do as much or as little as you want, they are a custom shop. The SP-101 Pkgs you see are just that, pkgs they offer. I fyou just want a bobbed hammer get that, or bobbed hammer and trigger job with a lighter pull, get that! That's the beauty of it.

It is possible that they can sell you a bobbed hammer and send it to you. I would call and talk to them and tell them what you are looking for and find out what your options are.

Ti.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
jack76590 said:
Not toasting, but that isn't true (though many people say it). Unless you make the bobbed hammer from tungsten, or other heavier metal, bobbed will always weigh less. Light hit concerns are usually addressed with +P springs. I've bobbed a GP-100, 2 686's, a model 60, and owned 3 640s. A bob-n-finish should run about $30. If you want a bobbed factory hammer installed, it will usually be more, as at least some fitting (for safety, if nothing else) is required. If it will be a carry gun, I would ask that it be a coarse-brushed, or matte blasted finish. The high polish is pretty, but you'll catch a heck'uva back-flash, if you use your pistol with a light.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
TonyW said:
I was kind of hoping that I could just buy a new hammer and have a local 'smith install it.
...and you can.
Good God ! You don't need a high-priced famed gun smith to perform your request. Most of the time...the hammer spring doesn't need to be changed. :blink:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, sorry for my ignorance. I've always bought reliable guns, usually revolvers, and used them as intended with no modifications. Don't know much about pistolsmiths and having things done to my guns. Where would I pick up a spurless hammer? I checked the Ruger site and didn't see anything, perhaps I didn't look hard or deep enough into the site. I'll have to drop a note to the guy that put the new sights on my Glock and see if he does things like this as well. Maybe he will be able to order one in for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts