Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a snubbie. i had a S&W 642 that i bought last yr but i didnt like the feel for some reason. ended up selling it. well i got the snubbie itch again and have narrowed it to these 2. Ruger sp 101 or LCR
please help oh wise ones!!

i wont have a problem concealing either of these. will be carried IWB or maybe sholder holster. i dont like pocket carry.

already have a kimber ultra and a kel-tec pf-9

thanks in advance for all input positive and negative

CHEP

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
The LCR has it's place and is nice and light and recoil is not bad and pocket carries well.
I think the SP 101 is a better shooter. And the way you plan on carrying it is a better choice.
However, having made that call, they both have their merits.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would say SP-101, but before you decide, you should probably get a little better understanding of what you did not like about the S&W 642. Could be that you would have the same issue with either the 101 or LCR. See if you can't shoot both before you buy.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
The SP101 is heavier, so it should be more pleasant to shoot.

The LCR is lighter, so easier to carry.

I have a SP101 in .357 Mag, but since getting my Glocks, I haven't carried it in years. As a matter of fact, I just listed it for sale on Gunbroker! Has CT Lasergrips on it. If I sell it, I may get another LCP as a BUG (my wife has one already).

Either would be a good choice. Shoot them both if you can, then decide.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The SP101 is the Daddy! Its stronger, bigger, heavier. Thus the LCR will probaly carry better. My SP will never loose its place in the safe.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I tend to view my polymer guns as suitable for a 20 year useful life. I am sure they may last longer but I may get sick of looking at them after about 20 years. A nice Stainless revolver on the other hand is something that never goes out of style.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I bought a brand-new SP101, with 3" barrel, at Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife Show today, having looked at it yesterday before leaving with only a gun bag and a box of ammo. See, I have an S&W Model 60 and an H&R .32, so I don't need to be buying redundant guns of which I have enough. What the heck, I also bought a new Kel-Tec P11, deciding to finally buy something that I can actually hide under my clothes, like ya know, unlike these big boxy bulky black plastic pistols that I have been buying but not hiding. Such a pretty shiny stainless-steel pistol deserves its very own individual form-fitting leather holster, of course; plastic is slicker and quicker but leather looks and feels so much better. The color must match your belt, boots and or shoes, too.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Having held both, I would say the SP101, was not at all impressed with the LCR.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
The SP 101 in my opinion is the best snubbie to get in a revolver. It's a chunk of steel that is built to last and you definitely know you're holding a solid pistol. I've shot one a lot and love it but have no experience with the LCR. A lot of people say that it's "heavy" but as small as it is, it can't be heavy enough to wear you out by the end of the day. Just in comparison, it's heavier than the LCR and the like. A pistol in my hands that has a little meat to it tends to be a little more steady and it's fun to watch the look on people's faces at the range when you set up a milk jug filled with water at 100 yards and pull that little thing out. It's even better when it explodes after only a shot or two. :smile: I've reloaded the hottest recommended loads and it handles them well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Was at the Gun/Knife show in Harrisburg today and Pop was looking at that LCR.

I know I had cap guns that were heavier than that thing, when I was a kid!!!

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
If you're going to carry IWB, OWB or Shoulder I'd suggest the 3" GP100 with the second choice being the SP101. I would only look at the LCR if I was going to carry in the pocket or on the ankle.

Yesterday I carried a GP100 and an SP101, with two reloads for the GP100. Due to dress restraints I was unable to comfortably carry a lightweight J-Frame as a third gun, which is my habit when packin' a wheelie as a primary.

If you're bound and determined to carry one of the two you are considering, and not given to pocket carry or ankle carry, I would have to give the nod to the SP101.

Biker

·
Registered
208 Posts
SP101 - Wife has one and loves it. A great snubbie.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i would go with the lcr. small and lite weight makes for a great/easy carry when the day gets long.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Today I'm carrying my SP101 IWB. I backed it up with my Taurus 650 in a Back Pocket pocket. My 442 was looking kind of lonely and left out so I put it in my front pocket. Now I have to sneak out of the house be for my Glock 26 notices and starts to give me that deserted look. I hate when that happens................"so many Guns, so little time"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Although I am a STRONG supporter for S&W revolvers ( been carrying them for over 40 years ) My Choice for a "snubbie" is My Ruger SP101. .357 Mag SS. It is my "primary appox.50% of the time ( otherwise it is a S&W 4'' ( 40% ) 1911 .45ACP (10%)

BTW, IMHO, get a good "smith" to "tune" it & you have a GREAT PP Weapon.

Puffer

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I have three Smith' snub alloy's and one stainless. Guess which one I like the most.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts