Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a SP101 3 inch in 327 too big for carry? Would a 2 in be better.
Looking for mostly home defense but maybe some CCW.
BYW: Bought the 3 inch. Keep wondering what the 2 inch might have been like. Maybe I’ll just get the 3 inch a playmate😀
Oh yes, it’s almost impossible to find nice holsters for the 3 inch. 2 inches are easy to find.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
No problem carried on the waist. Only an issue if you plan to pocket carry it, but the SP101 is heavy for routine pocket carry anyway.

The 3 inch is probably the best option for concealed carry.

My SP101 is a .357 2” snub with the DAO trigger. Excellent gun.

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
I prefer 4" revolvers for concealed carry. I prefer the increased velocity and the longer sight radius.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Thomas D, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. There are some custom holster makers who can probably accommodate your 3" SP101 with out too much extra expense. With the right holster and belt it won't be too heavy to carry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, Thomas D, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. There are some custom holster makers who can probably accommodate your 3" SP101 with out too much extra expense. With the right holster and belt it won't be too heavy to carry.
Thanks. Thomasville GA here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here. Had it for a month now and haven’t shot it. Put some Hogue grips on it and bought a box of wadcutters.
Was waiting to see what I might do with trading for 2 inch😀

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm still wondering why they discontinued the first round of .327 fed mag sp101's they put in production. I believe they had problems with cylinders and Q.C.
When I sent mine in they kept it and offered me a different caliber of my choice.
They must have resolved the issues. I still have a box or two of .327 and some brass.

Check out Wright Leather Works for holsters that will accommodate you revolver. I bought one for my Colt Cobra. Good holster. Marshal™ OWB Holster

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
I have a Theis OWB holster for my SP. It is open at the bottom, so it would accommodate longer barrel lengths. I imagine many holsters are similar.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I absolutely love my custom 3" SP101! I wouldn't trade it for any 2" model.

These guys make a decently priced holster for the SP101 3" model:

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is a SP101 3 inch in 327 too big for carry? Would a 2 in be better.
Looking for mostly home defense but maybe some CCW.
BYW: Bought the 3 inch. Keep wondering what the 2 inch might have been like. Maybe I’ll just get the 3 inch a playmate
Oh yes, it’s almost impossible to find nice holsters for the 3 inch. 2 inches are easy to find.
IWB, no problem.

Pocket carry? Forget it.

I’ve carried a S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 Shot 357 Magnum 3”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have the 2.25" version. Been having it for about 25 years. Great lil .357 Magnum and for a little gun, it tames full snort Magnums pretty well.

I have occasionally dropped it in a pocket and I did carry it on my ankle as a BUG for years until 8 years ago when I got my LCR .357.

If you carry yours OWB or IWB, I'd just stick with the 3". If you're interested in pocket or ankle carry you would probably need the 2.25".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the 2.25" version. Been having it for about 25 years. Great lil .357 Magnum and for a little gun, it tames full snort Magnums pretty well.

I have occasionally dropped it in a pocket and I did carry it on my ankle as a BUG for years until 8 years ago when I got my LCR .357.

If you carry yours OWB or IWB, I'd just stick with the 3". If you're interested in pocket or ankle carry you would probably need the 2.25".
It will be 90% home defense/nightstand and 10 % carry/field, with a good amount of range time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the 2 1/4”, had to pass up a good deal on a 3” a few years ago . For a really good custom leather holster, check out Privateer Leather. I have one for my SR9 and really like it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are excellent revolvers and I would keep the 3" over a 2.25 inch for carry and accuracy. It will also tame recoil a bit more with the extra weight, great guns!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I absolutely love my custom 3" SP101! I wouldn't trade it for any 2" model.

These guys make a decently priced holster for the SP101 3" model:
Very nice!
what make of speed loader? fits around the hogue grip OK?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The speed loader is from 5 Star Firemarms. That was an old pic, and I don't recall having too much of a clearance problem with the Black Hogues and the 5 Star, but I can say that the new Hogue wood grips that it wears now do not cause any clearance issues for the 5 Star.

Reactions: Nmuskier
1 - 20 of 27 Posts