Defensive Carry banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Is a SP101 3'' barrel too big to carry? No. Definitely not.

I EDC pistols now that I would have thought way too big a couple decades ago.
Holster, belt, and shirt are important considerations; untucked, loose fit, with plaid, stripe, pattern.
IWB grip is more difficult to conceal than barrel, barrels are not as hard to conceal as longer grip.
Here is a Glock 23 IWB, note shirt has a stripe (break up any slight bulge).
Pistol is canted forward which helps keep the grip from sticking out past my back when seated.

Most may think a Glock 35 too big to carry concealed, grip is same as a Glock 17/22, longer slide.
Even a "big" pistol like a Glock 35 can be concealed, same holster as above, just add cover shirt.

I've got a Glock 21SF appendix IWB in pic - easily concealed in "summer attire".

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
It will be 90% home defense/nightstand and 10 % carry/field, with a good amount of range time.
In that case, I'd stick with the 3".

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Is a SP101 3 inch in 327 too big for carry? Would a 2 in be better.
Looking for mostly home defense but maybe some CCW.
BYW: Bought the 3 inch. Keep wondering what the 2 inch might have been like. Maybe I’ll just get the 3 inch a playmate😀
Oh yes, it’s almost impossible to find nice holsters for the 3 inch. 2 inches are easy to find.

The 3inch SP101 In 327 has been the revolver. I have had on my radar ..for awhile now ... I inch is not going to make it harder to conceal ..I have found the SP101 frame the same size as a Colt “D” frame and Charter Bulldog frame

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Love my 3" SP101! I shopped around a good bit to find the 3" at a good price.

A 3" revolver offers a dramatic improvement over a 2" in shootability, practical accuracy, and 'power'. I don't generally CC a revolver except for the occasional J-frame dropped in a coat pocket, but if I were to EDC one, it would almost certainly be either my 3" SP101, or a Dick Special (for the extra round).

IMHO, the SP101 is too big for pocket carry anyway, so the extra barrel length is insignificant. For OWB or IWB, it's not going to matter.

I'm intrigued by the .327, again for the extra round. Not ready to add another (scarce and expensive) caliber, though, so I'll stick with .38/.357.

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am guilty of doing a lot of dumb things, but one of the dumbest things I ever did was trading my 2" SP101 for an auto that rarely gets used. My SP101 went with me when my 1911 couldn't. I'd stick with the .38/.357, however.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have both the 3in and the 2 1/4in. If I had to choose one, it would be the 3in (for all purposes except concealed carry...I have pocket carried the 2in on occasion, but the butt sticks out of the pocket a little and it is heavy). They are both great revolvers though, and if I only had the 2in I’d be fine with it too.

The reason why I’d choose the 3in is because I think it is a good do it all revolver...home defense, woods gun, and even ccw.

I’ve also carried an SP101 when traveling to or through states with strict handguns laws...capacity/magazine restrictions, places where I’d have to load and unload a firearm frequently where even a loaded magazine not in a firearm is a violation of the law. The revolver makes all of this nonsense less bothersome and easier to maintain when maybe priorities are focused elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm a bit late on this, but I have a 3" SP101 in .357 and I don't think carrying it versus the 2.25" would be a big difference unless you try to pocket carry it. The only time I notice the extra barrel length is when I drive. Sometimes the muzzle presses into the seat pan. It doesn't affect my carrying...I just feel it move a little.

As far as holsters, I've used a FIST #1A and recently picked up a High Noon Bare Asset holster (it says 2.25" but it will work with a 3"). Both work well...the FIST takes a long time to get and the metal clip tears my car upholstery...so the reverse clip on the Bare Asset is nice.

I've heard one person that simply clip an Uncle Mike nylon holster into his front jean pocket to kinda OWB/IWB at the same time....but not pocket carry. I tried it and it actually works pretty well.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts