Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
On paper, I would go with the 3, but I have never handled one. I have handled the 2 and it is nice. I thought it was just perfectly balanced for a snubby. It felt really good in my hand. But I bet the 3 would also. I guess it depends on the details of how you are going to carry it. But all things being equal, I vote for the 3.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the 2 in spurless SP101. Excellent weapon, you will be well served by either, but check holster availability between both first.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
No matter which you get , you’ll wonder if you should have got the other. :)

Best try both out to narrow it down.

I have the shorter barrel and like it, plus an LCR, both in 357. If I could only keep one it would be the LCR because as nice as the SP101 is it’s one heavy beast.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
This is not the voice of experience, but I would probably go with the 3" for a bit better control and a bit more velocity. I doubt that extra inch is going to be much impact for carrying as long as you have a holster which will hold it.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
A 3'' revolver would not difficult to conceal IWB.
I carry consistently larger than that; pics in my post #21 to your other thread:
SP101 3 in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 3'' revolver would not difficult to conceal IWB.
I carry consistently larger than that; pics in my post #21 to your other thread:
SP101 3 in
I know I’m beating this to death and should just keep the 3 in and go on down the road. However there is something about the 2 in that looks good to me. I know, looks won’t win a firefight 😀

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on this topic having owned both. I no longer have the 3" gun and all my snubs are now 2".

The biggest issue is how you carry. I like to carry about 2:00 in an AIWB holster for snubs so the 3" poked my leg in that position where the 2" did not. For a 3:00 carry the extra inch is not an issue IWB but, and here is where personal preference and carry method matters.

My 3" would show below my cover shirt and my 2" does not. Both using high ride holsters. This is the same reason that barrel length on a semi matters more to me than grip length which is opposite from traditional wisdom.

Two more things that convinced me to stick with 2" is force on force training. The 3" is much easier to grab from you than the 2". I know I can hear the disbelief but, that is my experience using both in such training.

The last is the 2" is faster out of the holster, again, seems very minor but, this is self defense when your already behind the curve so little things get magnified.
There is a reason the most popular snub in the world has a 1 7/8 inch barrel and a completly shrouded hammer and that is:
Speed
Retention
Close quarters fighting (fires when tangled or pushed into in anything)
Concealment

Only you know how much or how little any of that matters in your situation.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If you ever consider pocket carry, the 3" is out. I have the 2.25" SP101 and I love it. It is actually pretty heavy for pocket carry at 26 oz., but in a pinch, it is doable. I do have a, now retired, wildlife agent buddy of mine that carries and has carried for years a 2.25" SP101 in his jeans pocket. In a coat/jacket pocket the weight isn't much of an issue.

That wildlife agent buddy and I can both ring the 100 yard gong fairly consistently (he's more consistent than me) with our 2.25" SP101's.

Folks whine about poor .357 Magnum velocities out of short tubes. And you will lose some velocity in those shorts tubes, but it still blows the doors off of .38 +P.

Here are some of my personal findings on my chronograph from short tubes and some of my favorite loads:

158 JHP (Nosler or XTP)/17.0 gr Lil Gun (SM) 1270 fps 4” 66, 1075 fps 2” KLCR

158 LSWC/14.5 2400 = 1341 fps 4” 66, 1144 fps 2” KLCR

158 LSWC/ 13.5 gr 2400 = 1200 fps (loaded in .38 cases, crimped on top lube groove) 1200 fps 4” 66, 1037 fps 2” KLCR

158 JHP (XTP)/14.5 2400 = 1201 fps 4” GP100, 1014 2” KLCR

158 JHP (XTP)/18.6 300-MP = 1230 fps 4” GP100, 1017 2” KLCR

So, as you can see, you can still get a lot of power out of those tubes. I consistently lose 150-200 fps going from 4" to 2" (OK actually 1 7/8 for my KLCR). I would reckon a 3" would be about somewhere right in the middle of that. About 100 fps slower than a 4" and about 100 fps faster than a 2". But I've never actually tested it though.

158 LSWC/ 13.5 gr 2400 = 1200 fps (loaded in .38 cases, crimped on top lube groove) 1200 fps 4” 66, 1037 fps 2” KLCR is my favorite woods bumming load. It's very pleasant to shoot even from my 17 oz. LCR, and it has more than enough power for my swamp dwellers down here.

I used to carry my SP101 off duty and as a BUG on duty and while hunting before I got my KLCR. A 2.25" or a 3" will serve you well. The 3" will give you a lil more sight radius and velocity. A 2.25" will give you a few more carry options without much performance loss. You'll have to decide which of those factors are more important to you in the role of that weapon.

Reactions: QuietMan

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the 2" has more versatility in carry options while sacrificing very little in performance - but I'm a snubbie guy when it comes to carrying revolvers. My advice would be to fire both. If you are markedly better with the 3" go with it. If not (and I suspect that at SD distances they will be similar) then the 2" is a better choice. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
18,325 Posts
The extra inch matters very little in effective compactness. Actually none at all for my purposes. I like the sighting plane better on 3-inch guns and the extra inch extracts a little bonus in performance. How much though depends on the load.

I'd vote 3-inch.

2-inch snubs look so bad-to-the-bone though.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
May I ask w
That 2 inch is actually 2.25 so the 3 inch is only .75 inch longer. For all "practical " purposes that .75 didnt add enough weight or length to make a difference in recoil or sighting in my hands. Aesthetically I found the 3 inch easier on the eyes and with some nice wood grips it's a real handsome package. One draw back might be holster selection is a bit more limited for the 3 inch.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've shot 3in revolvers and liked them, no issues with it but when I purchased one, I got the sp101 in the 2 1/4. I guess that says everything about where I would land on the decision but really both are great and not sure that you are making a bad decision either way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts