Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering my first revolver for concealed carry sp101 357. I usually carry AIWB but if not, for sure IWB 4pm. Two particular questions
1) conceal-ability of 2.25" vs 3"? considering AIWB and IWB 4pm.
2) SP101 2.25 vs 3" accuracy at 10-15 yards self defense scenario assuming some nice sights, is the 3 inch much better than the 2.25?
(as an aside... seems way more holster options with the 2.25). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've got the SP101 in 2.25, 3 and 4". The 2.25 is my EDC in an OWB. If im going somewhere that i cant carry on body, I'll keep the 3" in a Maxpedition in the car. The 4" is in my nighstand all the time.

I'm not sure how well that answers your question but it's some insight from a guy who owns them all.

Edit: Accuarcy-wise I notice a difference with the 4" but not with the others. My 4" has the fiber optic front so it's easier to find after recoil.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the SP101 in 2.25, 3 and 4". The 2.25 is my EDC in an OWB. If im going somewhere that i cant carry on body, I'll keep the 3" in a Maxpedition in the car. The 4" is in my nighstand all the time.

I'm not sure how well that answers your question but it's some insight from a guy who owns them all.

Edit: Accuarcy-wise I notice a difference with the 4" but not with the others. My 4" has the fiber optic front so it's easier to find after recoil.

That is helpful, but do you feel that the 3" is much better to shoot? I feel like I am leaning toward the 3" but worry about AIWB carry. from what you are saying the 2.25 is just fine probably better for AIWB

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I don't carry AIWB so I can't comment on how it would conceal but I don't notice any difference on accuracy. The recoil on the 3 might be a bit softer than on the 2.25 but thats about all I notice.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I don't own an sp 101 but love the 3'' models. I don't think the extra .75'' will make much difference for carry unless you're talking about pocket carry. I'd go with the 3'' just for the little extra oomph from the longer barrel, and quite honestly I just think the 3'' guns look better. I have no idea if the 3s shoot any softer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't own an sp 101 but love the 3'' models. I don't think the extra .75'' will make much difference for carry unless you're talking about pocket carry. I'd go with the 3'' just for the little extra oomph from the longer barrel, and quite honestly I just think the 3'' guns look better. I have no idea if the 3s shoot any softer.
That is the dilemma, I think I would like the 3 inch also but I am hearing many say that when shooting there is not much difference in the two. If that is so, then the decision becomes one of concealability, I think?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I got the 3" last Christmas and my father got the 2.25". He doesn't carry his and its been designated a night stand gun. We both prefer the 3". Personally, it has more heft and feels like a full size revolver when shooting. That little bit of barrel helps ballistics too, as you can see in this chart. As far as accuracy is concerned, I shoot the 3" better at distances greater than what you described (15yds+).

As you have already said, there is an abundance of holster options for the 2.25". Not so much for the 3". I was able to acquire an OWB holster for the 3", made by Tagua, on the shelf at my LGS. Its a good beat around holster, which at the moment is what I use my 3" for. Bear hunting (backup) and woods walking is the only action my 3" sees, but I'm hoping to change that once the snow flies and my Carhartt comes out.

At the moment, I don't know if any one (major manufacturers) makes a holster for the 3" that would comfortably carry AIWB.

If I were to strictly use an SP101 as a CCW, I think I would opt for the 2.25" simply because of holster availability. Good luck. You can't go wrong with an SP101.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have the S&W model 60 in 3" for my edc. I chose the 3" over the 2.25" for accuracy. It is much more accurate than my other 2" jframe. I found a tuckable IWB holster for the 3" at the Holster Store 866-998-7254.

·
Registered
631 Posts
When I bought my j-frame I had the option of 2 1/8th, 3 and 5 inch. I went with the 3 inch barrel because you could still easily conceal it, but that extra inch does add a lot of energy to the bullet, and not to the recoil.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to tell you the 2.25 inch with the Novak sights Wiley Clapp edition is pretty sweet though. those sights with the gold dot front sights are awesome, it could sway me.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I have to tell you the 2.25 inch with the Novak sights Wiley Clapp edition is pretty sweet though. those sights with the gold dot front sights are awesome, it could sway me.
being able to hit what I am shooting at swayed me.....:wave:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
being able to hit what I am shooting at swayed me.....:wave:
That's good too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are a good enough shot then a .75" longer barrel will definitely make a difference. There was a debate on another forum on this topic. An engineer ran the numbers on a 2.5" barrel an 3.0" barrel. If each barrel was offset by 1mm at 10 yards the difference was a 1" larger miss for the shorter barrel.

One inch at 10 yards might not seem like much but take it out to 25 or 50 yards and the groups open up. (The shortest distance at my range is 25 yards.)

That's a very important point and shows how longer barrels are more forgiving.

For accuracy get the longest barrel snubby made and that would be 3".
Dave

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have the S&W model 60 in 3" for my edc. I chose the 3" over the 2.25" for accuracy. It is much more accurate than my other 2" jframe. I found a tuckable IWB holster for the 3" at the Holster Store 866-998-7254.
It is not much more accurate...you are much more accurate with it.

I have tested a lot of 2" snubs and they are VERY accurate...much more accurate than 99.99% of the people that shoot them. That extra barrel length just makes them easier to shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
For defensive purposes it hardly matters but for comfort related to how you conceal it might possibly matter... especially AIWB depending on your build. Only you know that. :yup:

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I decided to go with the 3" model, but at self-defense distances, it's not going to make a huge difference. The shorter barrel may clear the holster a tad quicker.

This thread reminds me... I haven't shot my SP101 in probably 10 years. Once I bought a 9mm, I had no use for any other calibers. Hahahaha... :aargh4: (Just kidding!)

Reactions: stealthygun

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Don't you know only glocks should be carried for self defense.

IMHO the 3" barrel balances out the 357 much better. If I was going to carry a CC pistol that large, I wouldn't mind an additional 3/4"...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If your not going to pocket carry it the 3" is fine. I had the 3" and it didn't fit my pocket. Sold it bought the 2" DAO. I found the SP101 heavy for the pocket so I carry a 442 in my pocket and the SP101 AIWB. I should have kept the 3". Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts