Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard people give reasons why they may or may not carry a spare. I have always taken to the line of thought I’m not likely to need the additional ammo but I might have a malfunction which dictates it’s need. This is a perfect example of a magazine failure. I’ve had two of these last year or two one on a 70 Series magazine today on a newer production magazine. I’ve had other magazine failure or malfunctions but thought I’d share this one since it’s fresh in my mind. I went to the range shot a few magazines through my commander went home to clean it reloaded after to put it back in the holster and this happened.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Great example!

Do you let you empty mags drop to ground/floor when reloading, or eject them into your hand?

Reactions: Gunnie

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great example!

Do you let you empty mags drop to ground/floor when reloading, or eject them into your hand?
It depends on what I’m doing. If I’m shooting doing accuracy work or load development I’ll eject into the hand. If on the other hand I’m training drills where I’m working on scenarios as if I were fighting they hit the ground. That said this magazine had been to the range one other time with me and that time it was set on the table as I was doing load development. This time it hit the ground empty though no issues reloading it and taking it home. After cleaning the gun and reinserting the floor plate and spring flew back and hit me.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. Also why I don't own a single firearm that takes magazines any longer.
That is certainly one way to remedy the issue. I dropped it and immediately inserted another fresh one from the pouch. It was a good training exercise nonetheless. You’ll also be happy to know on my belt I had a SP101 as a back-up :cool: I was working on speed strip loads with that one and trying out a new load.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Yep. Also why I don't own a single firearm that takes magazines any longer.
I carry one of each. Semi and a wheel gun.
Revolvers can malfunction also.
Also important to inspect your equipment regularly. I inspect all my carry equipment weekly.
Perhaps a tear down of the OP's magazine would have exposed the weakness before the failure on the range.
Better on the range than when staring down a threat. Better still in your gun room.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I carry one of each. Semi and a wheel gun.
Revolvers can malfunction also.
Also important to inspect your equipment regularly. I inspect all my carry equipment weekly.
Perhaps a tear down of the OP's magazine would have exposed the weakness before the failure on the range.
Better on the range than when staring down a threat. Better still in your gun room.
Actually inspected them last night before I loaded the range bag up no sign of any issues. I’m a huge proponent of regular inspections they’ve saved me grief in the past. Didn’t crop up until after I got home from the range.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I'm sure you're "probably joshing", but, I have some "high tensile strength silver solder", that's "jam up for stainless steel", that would easily fix that!
;)

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
36,961 Posts
I’ve heard some say because they won’t need it. I can think of none that would outweigh the satisfaction, piece of mind, and chance it may mean I get home to my family that would make me choose not to carry the additional 7 ounces.
I don't smoke, but always carry a lighter. I'm not afraid of the dark, but always carry a flashlight. I don't whittle, but carry a knife. I guess we see where this is going...

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
That's why I have practice magazines and carry magazines. And never the twain shall meet....

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
I’ve heard people give reasons why they may or may not carry a spare. I have always taken to the line of thought I’m not likely to need the additional ammo but I might have a malfunction which dictates it’s need. This is a perfect example of a magazine failure. I’ve had two of these last year or two one on a 70 Series magazine today on a newer production magazine. I’ve had other magazine failure or malfunctions but thought I’d share this one since it’s fresh in my mind. I went to the range shot a few magazines through my commander went home to clean it reloaded after to put it back in the holster and this happened. View attachment 353721 View attachment 353722
I am a 1911 fan and I also have a Series 70, in .45, with factory mags. I have had one colossal failure with one of the mags. I have long thought the original mag is the weakest part of the whole 1911 design. If you compare it to modern mags, it looks way out of date.

I switched to Wilson Combat mags and never looked back.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts