Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the Facebooks this evening, I came across this photo of a very kitted-out tactical officer.

This officer is carrying his Glock in a drop-leg holster on his right side, with a double spare mag pouch ON THE SAME LEG.

I cannot envision a scenario where keeping your spare pistol mags on your strong side thigh is advantageous (or even practical).

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm NOT posting this to discuss the politics of Standing Rock.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
What is he carrying on his weak side?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is he carrying on his weak side?
There is a harness of some kind on his left leg, I can't tell exactly what it is, but it doesn't seem to have the thickness of a mag pouch.

My thing is: wouldn't almost any other location (on his vest, in a dump pouch, taped to the side of his helmet ) be more practical for spare pistol mags? Or is there a new tactical reload technique for getting a spare mag from your strong side thigh to the pistol in your hand that doesn't involve playing "hot glock potato" while under fire?

Sent from my DROID Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an experiment, I just jerry-rigged a mag holder to my strong side thigh and tried to conduct a speed reload. I was able to reach the spare mag with my support hand (albeit with some difficulty). This of course, is without a load-bearing vest, a shoulder weapon, and other associated gear.

Sent from my DROID Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For all we know he has another pistol/mag pouch on the left leg as well in case one arm gets taken out of the fight he's got a sidearm to grab with whatever arm is still useful? Or another idea is maybe he usually has a Riot shield in his left hand so both pistol and spare mags need to be accessible by right hand? The Riot shields have seen a lot of action in ND the last few months.

I've lived in ND my entire life and I've never seen anyone look like this. But then again I usually avoid areas where people like this guy are needed, because that protest has been everything BUT peaceful since late August/September.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
While I would agree it would be cumbersome, I think it's worth understanding that those might be his 4th and 5th backup mags. It's pretty much impossible to tell what all he's got attached to him in that photo, so who really knows... I wouldn't want mags there if they were my only mags but, in reality, if I've gone through the rifle and all its mags and the pistol and whatever else he's got hanging off him, I've probably got bigger problems if I'm down to a couple of pistol mags on the 'wrong' side. :tongue:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
WOW! He has more STUFF on him then they had on for "D" day! If he falls over he isn't getting up real fast either.
He's dressed mission specific.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Without knowing what else he is carrying, it's awfully difficult to offer any informed or useful commentary on his loadout. I say that for the following reasons:

#1. The pistol is not his primary weapon in that loadout - so spare mags for it are not going to be a huge priority for him.

#2. We can't see what else he may have on his chest, support side belt, or support side thigh. If all of that real estate is occupied with things that are more important to his mission than spare magazines for his backup weapon, then it's a logical decision to use less optimal space for carrying pistol mags.

#3. He may have more pistol mags in a location on his support side - and these two are just a couple extras "just in case".

#4. We don't know what's in those pouches. The honest truth is that I have carried a folding knife, a flashlight, and a multitool in pistol magazine pouches at various times during my life - the first time being a folding "cutaway" knife in 1995, and the most recent time being a Surefire flashlight on Sunday. We are assuming that those pouches contain pistol mags...but none of us really have any idea of what's in there.

I guess what I am saying is that we are kinda the definition of armchair quarterbacks in this thread....a bunch of people where the majority probably have far less experience, training, and proficiency that the person in question, many of whom second-guessing his choices without actually having enough facts to offer worthwhile input.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
In one of my Gunfighting classes a few years back we were instructed to place our spare mag pouches on the strong side and do reloads with them. Didn't work out very well. I am now seeing a holster, belt, mag pouch combo where holster and twin mag pouches are on the strong side. It does not look easy to use. Me I will use what I have done so for the last 30+ years strong side holster and weak side mag pouches with bullets facing forward..

Reactions: Eric357 and AzQkr

·
Registered
393 Posts
On duty I always carry at least one of the following that I can reach with either hand: spare magazine, a knife, a set of handduffs, and a handcuff key. You never know how bad you may have either hand tied up when you need something. Yes that means a mimium of two of everything. I do not care what anyone else does in or out of a picture.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That's more than what I want to carry when I take the wife shopping. Does seem like an odd place to carry the spare mags because you would normally grab for them with the weak hand. I carry my spare mag in an open top walmart glasses case in my right shirt pocket. I added velcrow to the pocket clip to keep the glasses case from falling out of the pocket and a rubber band around the magazine to keep it from falling out of the glasses case. The magazine is an extended one so the rubber band does not interfere when I load it into the gun. We have concealed carry in Illinois so the glasses case doesn't stand out like most magazine holders.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I carried one magazine in the exact same place while deployed. I carried it there for a couple of reasons.

1) For strong side reloads if my weak arm wasn't able to help.

2) On "secure" base camps (and the like), I didn't wear my battle-rattle and wanted to automatically keep a magazine with me.

3) Having 1 spare magazine in a less than optimal position that won't get stripped for casualty evac (where other gear might) .

Trevor

·
Registered
240 Posts
I attempted to do strong side mag carry. I can do it, but it's not as well as when I tried reloading from the other side. I have seen people work strong side spare mag carry really well so it's whatever they feel works best.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
There is a good chance that his off side thigh has either a protective mask or Taser with holster.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts