Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much back up ammo do you carry?

I have been told by a few uninformed people that I carry way too much ammo. But I think and argue that most every LEO I have seen carry's 2 spare mag's, So why should I not carry as much as I feel comfortable.

I carry 2 spare mag's = 26 rounds
plus the mag charged = 13 rounds
Plus the round chamberd = 1 round
total = 40 rounds

·
Registered
304 Posts
6 in the bug, 7 in the main, no extra generally. Not going to say anything about someone who carries more though...

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Spare Mags??

15+1 in the Gun, plus two spare 15 mags, total of 46. All nice leather and under the jacket.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I don't go by round count . I've got in the habit of carrying two extra mags, whether it's my Colt officer or my BHP. That is the way my mag holders are all set up for my carry guns.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't currently carry a spare mag. The more I read these forums though the more I realise I need to start. I feel pretty comfortable with the 15+1 in the gun but if my mag malfunctions I'm boned.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I carry at least one extra mag.
But what the heck, nobody ever wished they had less ammo during a fire fight. A whole lot have wished for more.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I almost always carry two guns. At least one reload for the BUG and usually two for the Primary.

But there are times when I carry two reloads for each gun.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have been told by a few uninformed people that I carry way too much ammo.
"Uninformed" is correct. Ammo is like money in that it's impossible to have too much.

I always carry either a 13-round spare mag for my G21 or a 15-round mag for my G27; chiefly for the possibility of a magazine-related malfunction.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Me too, Anubus. My extra mag for my G27 is a G22 mag with a slide on grip extension. The larger mag is easier to conceal separately than in the gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Geez, if you carry too much, then I must be a hoarder...

On duty :
mag in the gun loaded to capacity with one in the pipe

2 spares in a double mag pouch.

1 extra magazine on my offside

BUG loaded to capacity 1 reload available

In the trunk 4 extra pistol mags, 500rnds (duty) in a case

6 extra rifle mags

Of duty:
mag in the gun to capacity, 1 in the pipe

2 spare mags on me

2 mags in each door for rifle and pistol (up front only due to kids)

1 BUG w/reload

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'll mention one aspect of carrying a spare magazine I don't recall seeing so far. What if your primary magazine has feeding issues? Doesn't it make sense to carry a spare magazine for a bad magazine?

That's why I always carry a spare magazine. Even though I've never had a badly feeding magazine, there is a first time for ANY handgun. EVEN my beloved G26!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Current carry
3 spares for my Primary, 1 spare for my BUG.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I always carry at least 1 extra mag. Usually a G19 mag for my G26...Or a speedloader and a speed strip for my 642...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends.. just out running errands, dinner, etc.. Just 8+1 in pistol. If it's going to be a long day, road trip, hiking, etc.. 8+1 in pistol, plus 2 spare mags @ 8rds/piece. Total = 25 rounds

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Only times you can have too much ammo is if your on fire or swimming

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
How much back up ammo do you carry?

I have been told by a few uninformed people that I carry way too much ammo. But I think and argue that most every LEO I have seen carry's 2 spare mag's, So why should I not carry as much as I feel comfortable.

I carry 2 spare mag's = 26 rounds
plus the mag charged = 13 rounds
Plus the round chamberd = 1 round
total = 40 rounds
It's not just about round count. What about failure? Do you train for failure? Magazine failure, FTF, FTE... ring a bell...you're going to be happy you had that extra mag when you get locked up in a gunfight and your gun don't go boom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I carry...
7+1 in Primary
2 extra mags 7x2
5 in the back up

Total= 27Rounds

Then you have to have to go to more primitive methods pepper spray, knives, and the two fists god gave you. If you cant get the job done it just wasent ment to be.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts