Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some spare parts from Ruger with the rebate that I got from buying the LCP a few years ago. When the extractor chipped I was able to change it out for the spare. The other day I broke the gun down so that I could carry the slide and barrel in a plastic baggie into the clinic where they don't allow guns. I got back into the car and started to assemble the gun again. The stainless steal guide rod slipped out of place and shot around the inside of the car. I found it down between the seats but I got to thinking that, this is one part that I don't have on hand for a replacement so I would be out of business until I got another one. I just ordered a couple of extras off of Ebay. Just in case the part that wants to shoot away gets lost the next time. I already have a couple of extra sets of return springs too.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The other day I broke the gun down so that I could carry the slide and barrel in a plastic baggie into the clinic where they don't allow guns. I got back into the car and started to assemble the gun again

The above is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've seen guys here say they keep spare parts on hand, too. Personally, I don't. That's not to say I don't have gun parts laying around that could be used, but I did not buy them by design for the sole purpose of having a spare thingamajig.
I'm more of the spare gun persuasion. I have similar guns that could step right in if another had some down time.

I like your idea of rendering your gun useless in case your car is broken into. I don't think I'd ever do that myself, but it's an interesting concept I hadn't heard of before.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
PA,

Since the later days in the 80's and early 90's when I was shooting a lot of matches, I've kept spare parts for 1911's in the shooting box. Consider it a support box. Saved me a few headaches from time to time like changing an extractor or firing pin. Always have several recoil springs in different weights in the box.

Last winter when the training 1911 broke a firing pin in the middle of nowhere in the Supes, I just replaced it there and kept on with the day. I also keep extra recoil spring set ups for the glocks around. No spare parts for revos, sigs, and the like [ like yourself I have other guns that pick up the slack while something gets fixed.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
If I was shooting matches I would definitely have spare parts on hand.
Or prone to letting my guide rod go zinging around :wink:

I'll bet if you give me a frame and slide I could build a working 1911 from all the parts I have. With parts left over for another if I can then get a barrel, too :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
If I was shooting matches I would definitely have spare parts on hand.
Or prone to letting my guide rod go zinging around :wink:

I'll bet if you give me a frame and slide I could build a working 1911 from all the parts I have. With parts left over for another if I can then get a barrel, too :yup:
Got any factory Colt take-off parts you're looking to part with? (yeah, bad pun :wink:)

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I ordered some spare parts from Ruger with the rebate that I got from buying the LCP a few years ago. When the extractor chipped I was able to change it out for the spare. The other day I broke the gun down so that I could carry the slide and barrel in a plastic baggie into the clinic where they don't allow guns. I got back into the car and started to assemble the gun again. The stainless steal guide rod slipped out of place and shot around the inside of the car. I found it down between the seats but I got to thinking that, this is one part that I don't have on hand for a replacement so I would be out of business until I got another one. I just ordered a couple of extras off of Ebay. Just in case the part that wants to shoot away gets lost the next time. I already have a couple of extra sets of return springs too.
Interesting idea to remove the slide and barrel although not something most would do in order to visit a GFZ. It is my understanding that IL NO Weapons signs still carry the force of law so I hope you only took the slide and barrel with you. The polymer frame that contains the receiver is by definition a firearm so I would hope you did not bring the frame and receiver into a GFZ even with the barrel removed (broken down).

I think the effort to remove the slide to render the pistol useless takes too much effort and is not worth losing pins and recoil springs trying to reassemble. Why not just invest in a small safe for your vehicle? At least if you did this rather than to take the gun apart, it would be ready if needed when you returned to your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
At one point I had enough Sig spare parts laying around I built an entire gun.

IMG_0281.jpg

At this point I think the only parts I don't have are firing pins and extractors. Everything else I have multiples of.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I routinely keep some spares for my firearms. 1911 recoil spring/firing pins, extractors. Also for AK stuff, a small baggie of parts on hand.
I tend not to fuss too much about the revolvers.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
For some stuff it is easy ..Glocks and sig to some level you can buy most of the parts from the company I mean Glock store will sell you a bag with all the parts save barrel, frame and slide ... Ditto AR and AK you can buy nice pre packed stuff ..Kelltec same deal pretty much all the parts right there ... 1911 some what if you dont mind hand fitting .

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Interesting idea to remove the slide and barrel although not something most would do in order to visit a GFZ. It is my understanding that IL NO Weapons signs still carry the force of law so I hope you only took the slide and barrel with you. The polymer frame that contains the receiver is by definition a firearm so I would hope you did not bring the frame and receiver into a GFZ even with the barrel removed (broken down).

I think the effort to remove the slide to render the pistol useless takes too much effort and is not worth losing pins and recoil springs trying to reassemble. Why not just invest in a small safe for your vehicle? At least if you did this rather than to take the gun apart, it would be ready if needed when you returned to your vehicle.

I can pop one pin out of the side of the LCP and remove the slide a lot quicker than I can dig under the seat for a lock box. It normally just takes a minute to reassemble and reload and I do that sitting up in the car where I can still observe what is around me. I am usually more careful than I was the day I shot the guide rod and springs around the car. I had a lock box once and I really didn't like it. I stick the parts in a zip lock bag to carry in my pocket that way I don't lose anything. I leave the frame and the magazine in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I can pop one pin out of the side of the LCP and remove the slide a lot quicker than I can dig under the seat for a lock box. It normally just takes a minute to reassemble and reload and I do that sitting up in the car where I can still observe what is around me. I am usually more careful than I was the day I shot the guide rod and springs around the car. I had a lock box once and I really didn't like it. I stick the parts in a zip lock bag to carry in my pocket that way I don't lose anything. I leave the frame and the magazine in the car.
Tom,

Do what works best for you.
Personally, I'd get either a console type vault or a side of console mounted GunVault Speed Vault (assuming you have a center console.

In IL, you have to do things different in order to comply with the law. Where I live, a law abiding citizen could leave a gun sitting on the front seat unattended and it would be legal with or without a permit. I would not recommend leaving a gun or anything of value visible but here it can be done if you choose to do so. On the rare occasion that I have to leave my pistol in the vehicle, it goes in the console or glovebox. Maybe someday I'll follow my own advice and get a Speed Vault. :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts