Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you turn in your driveway, you notice a rough looking van parked at your house. When you get to the back door (normal entry point), you notice your wife is nowhere in sight. This is very irregular so you draw your gun to low ready. Suddenly a BG appears in a doorway about six feet from you, with your wife as a hostage/cover and has a gun but it is not pointed at your wife. The BG is distracted by his partner yelling something and turns his head which puts it right next to your wife's head. Could/would you raise the gun and fire at the BG in this fleeting moment of distraction? Are you confident you could hit the BG without hitting your wife?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes, I am more confident in my ability then the BG not shooting first.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Absolutely. The next sound you will hear is, BANG! THUMP!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My condolences to your widow. At a moment like this the chemicals in your body will be screwing up every sense you have but one, the sense of sight. Even that turns to tunnel vision. I'm a good shot under normal circumstances, but these are not normal circumstances, and this isn't Hollywood. Maybe you would get lucky but I wouldn't risk it. I have students ask , "why not shoot the gun out of the BG's hand?" That only happens in the movies folks, shoot for center of mass. You'll be lucky to hit that.

·
Administrator
143,817 Posts
6' Away

At 6 feet? ~ Truthfully...I would absolutely take that cake head shot ~ without a problem & without any hesitation.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
This situation exemplifies the desirability of having some sorta plan with your spouse.

For many it might be a shouted (innocuous) keyword at which point spouse slumps to dead weight - enough to surprise BG and put him just a tad off balance - buying perhaps that extra second needed to ''get things done".

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Wasn't there a similar question to this a couple months ago? Only I don't think it was your wife or home, but the shot sounds familiar.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed - I think that thread was based on choice of platform, to achieve the result.

·
Administrator
143,817 Posts
Ditto: P95

This situation exemplifies the desirability of having some sorta plan with your spouse.

For many it might be a shouted (innocuous) keyword at which point spouse slumps to dead weight - enough to surprise BG and put him just a tad off balance - buying perhaps that extra second needed to ''get things done".

Very Worthwhile Addition Chris.

Additionally: You can always get married again but, you'll not often get the chance to take a real life close-up profile head shot on a Bad Guy like that.
QKShooter ->:chairshot<-P95Carry

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
yep, also my girlfriend is so skinny, alot of the BG would be exposed.lol.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
QKShooter ->:chairshot<-P95Carry
Backatcha!!! :biggrin:

P95Carry-> :chairshot <-QKShooter

:banana: :silly:

·
Super Moderator
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could always shoot your wife in the leg to throw the BG off guard. :tongue:

·
Administrator
143,817 Posts
Personal Opinion & This Might Sound Harsh

Anybody that cannot quickly offer up two guaranteed hits at 6' into a 4" circle (running on conditioned response and muscle memory alone) needs to seriously shop around for BULK LOT ammo prices.
Just my opinion that you should honestly be able to "point shoot" that without a hitch & under stress.
If you cannot make that shot then you are carrying the wrong firearm & caliber for you & you NEED to buy maybe a Crimson Trace Laser system & zero it in to exact POA at 10' and learn to pray for fresh batteries...at the same time you squeeze the trigger. - Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QKShooter said:
...Just my opinion that you should honestly be able to "point shoot" that without a hitch & under stress...
I'm afraid I couldn't/wouldn't trust myself to point shoot (i.e. not use the front sight) a BG's head that was right next to my wife's head. Plus, I don't see the advantage since I could flash sight picture shoot either eye at six feet, nine feet for that matter, so why not use the front sight?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts