Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start it off by saying I’m not really sure which is more important to me.

I carry my Glocks AIWB, but my 1911 is strong side iwb or owb. Drawing either requires defeating the cover garment, and I am consistently quicker on the draw to shot on target with Glocks from AIWB than I am the 1911 from strong side draw.

The difference to me is negligible, 1.38 vs 1.86 on the time.

I still make the choice to carry the 1911 at times because A) I like it, love shooting it, and B) it is more accurate for both close CQB style flash sight picture, and longer distance slower fire. ( anything 5 yards or closer is done one handed when practicing SD style drills)

So for me, the two balance out, making them both top choices for me.

Is this a consideration for any of any of you in your choices, and what do you place the most value on and why?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
“You can’t miss fast enough to win.”
But that turns the question in to a philosophical discussion, because you can still be the first to get off a a shot or two, or three and still eat some lead yourself.

To be clear, this is meant as a discussion to share your thoughts and opinions, because there are no absolutes.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Again the answer for me is.... it depends.

Up close and counting nose hairs speed of presentation and COM hits is more important than small(ish) grouping accuracy.

Far enough away to have time to aim allows better accuracy and speed of presentation would still be desirable but wouldn't be so critical.

How far away is far enough to have time to focus on accuracy but isn't far enough to allow escape? I dunno? Betcha the answer is also..... it depends.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Hmmmmm...... accuracy I reckon. Not really sure though. My presentation is maybe a lil faster than average, but my shooting is fast and accurate. On most strings in our qualifications I’m usually done and reholstered while the rest of the line is halfway through the string.

Really ticks off my guys and gals because I’m old and fat !!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
To be clear, this is meant as a discussion to share your thoughts and opinions, because there are no absolutes.
That is my thought and opinion, even if it wasn’t an original statement. Taking rounds because I fail to hit the operational organs and controls would really suck. Agree that there are no absolutes in life but given the ideal I’d prefer not to have to wait for the other person to bleed out before they stopped shooting at me. Therefore, I’d rather be deadly accurate than fastly dead.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I guess it would depend on what kind of attack seems most likely in a person’s situation. For me, being a city-dweller, I think that’s a BG playing casual until within a yard or two, and then presenting a weapon. That thought compels me to rate speed above accuracy.

In a different situation - say a small town where a new face would stand out, or a rural setting where longer shots are more likely - I might think differently.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I see it as two separate phases. You can't shoot until you get the gun out so ideally I'd be super-quick getting the gun out and then slow down however much is needed to get proper hit placement. The more time I save in the first phase the more I can use in the second. Of course, that's assuming I don't panic.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My shooting buddy and I did a timed shoot with our cool weather jackets on . To make things more interesting , only head shots counted " think Walking Dead " at 7-10 yards

At the tone moving our jackets etc out of the way and drawing from iwb our times , 1.46-1.90 and 2.16-2.38 respectively,
Out of 20 shots each we both had no misses .

We agreed that being accurate was more important , as we would not be winning any quick draw competitions any time soon ...

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
While I'd like to have a goodly measure of both speed of presentation and accuracy, I'm going to come down on the accuracy side if forced to make a choice between the two.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Time to first shot...that is where my emphasis is placed. If I presented and that does the trick...it would be a GREAT day...but I ain't banking on that happening.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Sped and accuracy are inseparable. Neglect one and you are at a disadvantage in a gunfight. There is an advantage to getting the first shot or two off before the opponent. Except for those who experienced military combat, most people have never been shot at. I have never been shot at in civilian life. I was shot at too many times in Nam to want to remember them, but the first time of few times you get shot at in battle you quicklime to understand how disconcerting it is. It is a real test of your concentration. So, if your opponent has never been shot at getting the first shots off can be a distinct advantage. However, if your opponent has developed the self discipline to deal with billets flying at him, you better be accurate with any follow up shots, and that had to come quickly. That said, if you can be fast an accurate then you have an advantage. If you do not or cannot develop that skill then accuracy is a must. You have to get bullets on target rather than be fast and miss. It is not a perfect world.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I guess it depends on how accurate we are talking. I want to put effective hits on target as fast as possible.

1 - 20 of 340 Posts