Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly newbie type question, but I prefer to be informed rather than potentially unsafe. I carry six .38 special +p Gold Dot rounds on a speed strip in my weak side pocket. I also have keys, cell phone, and a pen in that pocket. Should I be concerned about something potentially causing a discharge in my everyday movements? What about the rounds themselves - will they not function properly due to the other objects in contact with them?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I believe the primer's are protected on the speed strips, so little chance of that happening. However, getting pocket lint in the cavity of your hollowpoints can cause expansion issues. But that's a pretty small thing to worry about, they'll just act like FMJ instead of HP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suppose anything "could" happen. I have not heard of it, or do I worry about it, and routinely carry rounds in speed strips on a daily basis.

Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
werstlna said:
I carry six .38 special +p Gold Dot rounds on a speed strip in my weak side pocket.
I would recommend that you carry them on your strong side. When you perform a reload on a revolver, the weapon will be in your weak hand.
Good luck. :smile;

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
You need to bear in mind that a primer needs a localized and quite intense input of energy - such that cup is dented enough against the anvil to ''shock'' the primer compound to initiate.

I doubt anything that vigorous could occur in a pocket!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
just keep the blasting caps in your other pocket... ;o)

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
I would have to say that your chances are greater spotting Bigfoot and a Baby Sasquatch both scavenging out of a N.Y.C. restaurant dumpster than having ammunition in a speed strip ever detonate in your pocket.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Well maybe if your pocket caught on fire....... Short of that I think you are pretty safe.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Other than all that stuff in your pocket causing one of the rounds to perhaps come out of the speed strip, or you coming out with change in your hand instead of ammo.... :smile:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Not trying to hi-jack your post but...
Are speed strips considered faster then speed loaders? safer?
First to wstrnla- maybe do a reogranization? I keep my keys on a belt-leash, and cell in a Maxpedition carrier. I haven't had a revo in quite awhile, but I would worry about grabbing a handful of "junk" along with my reload. Nothing worse than realizing you've shoved a Bic pen into a chamber!:duh:

Whirlwind, "from guys that would know", the concensus is that a speedloader is faster, but much more difficult to conceal. Speedstrips drop nicely into a blazer/jean jacket pocket, and much less conspicuously into pants/slacks pockets! "No, I just have a pair of Big Brass Ones......yeah, they're both on the ____ side.":ticking:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Speed strips are flat, that's their advantage over round speedloaders. I think speed strips are much, much slower than speedloaders -- but I have not practiced significantly with speed strips, either, so someone else would be very fast, I'm sure. My wife uses both but usually carries a couple speed strips just because they are easier to carry.
She carries two 642s, though, so her reload is the other revolver.
I don't have any safety concerns with either strips or speedloaders. As P95 said, it takes a very localized impact to detonate a primer.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have been carrying speedstrips in my pocket since December and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Not trying to hi-jack your post but...
Are speed strips considered faster then speed loaders? safer?
not faster or safer for that matter, but they are easier to conceal and carry in a pocket than a speed loader due to their shape....

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Just dont carry a 9volt battery in the same pocket that potentaly could be an issue , a cellphone cannot .

·
Registered
577 Posts
Speed strips also allow for a tactical reload

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like speed strips dues to the profile.
They go well with a 642.
And yes, lint is the only issue I've seen, really a non-issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts