Defensive Carry banner

Speed strip in pocket, any danger of discharge?

2631 Views 24 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  frankmako
This may be a silly newbie type question, but I prefer to be informed rather than potentially unsafe. I carry six .38 special +p Gold Dot rounds on a speed strip in my weak side pocket. I also have keys, cell phone, and a pen in that pocket. Should I be concerned about something potentially causing a discharge in my everyday movements? What about the rounds themselves - will they not function properly due to the other objects in contact with them?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
I believe the primer's are protected on the speed strips, so little chance of that happening. However, getting pocket lint in the cavity of your hollowpoints can cause expansion issues. But that's a pretty small thing to worry about, they'll just act like FMJ instead of HP.

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
You need to bear in mind that a primer needs a localized and quite intense input of energy - such that cup is dented enough against the anvil to ''shock'' the primer compound to initiate.

I doubt anything that vigorous could occur in a pocket!

· Administrator
50,362 Posts
I would have to say that your chances are greater spotting Bigfoot and a Baby Sasquatch both scavenging out of a N.Y.C. restaurant dumpster than having ammunition in a speed strip ever detonate in your pocket.

· Registered
3,479 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Not trying to hi-jack your post but...
Are speed strips considered faster then speed loaders? safer?
First to wstrnla- maybe do a reogranization? I keep my keys on a belt-leash, and cell in a Maxpedition carrier. I haven't had a revo in quite awhile, but I would worry about grabbing a handful of "junk" along with my reload. Nothing worse than realizing you've shoved a Bic pen into a chamber!:duh:

Whirlwind, "from guys that would know", the concensus is that a speedloader is faster, but much more difficult to conceal. Speedstrips drop nicely into a blazer/jean jacket pocket, and much less conspicuously into pants/slacks pockets! "No, I just have a pair of Big Brass Ones......yeah, they're both on the ____ side.":ticking:

· Registered
811 Posts
Speed strips are flat, that's their advantage over round speedloaders. I think speed strips are much, much slower than speedloaders -- but I have not practiced significantly with speed strips, either, so someone else would be very fast, I'm sure. My wife uses both but usually carries a couple speed strips just because they are easier to carry.
She carries two 642s, though, so her reload is the other revolver.
I don't have any safety concerns with either strips or speedloaders. As P95 said, it takes a very localized impact to detonate a primer.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Not trying to hi-jack your post but...
Are speed strips considered faster then speed loaders? safer?
not faster or safer for that matter, but they are easier to conceal and carry in a pocket than a speed loader due to their shape....

· Registered
5,133 Posts
Just dont carry a 9volt battery in the same pocket that potentaly could be an issue , a cellphone cannot .

· Registered
596 Posts
Speed strips also allow for a tactical reload

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.