Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People...we are in a world of hurt.:rant:

If the use of grammar and spelling on this forum alone are any indication of the future of America, then we are up Defecation Creek without a means of locomotion and as a great nation, our time on earth is limited, very limited.

Sometimes I think that somewhere, someone tampered with TIME and went back in the past and tinkered with some small event that was left out and now the present and future are different from what they were meant to be. (there's actually a book about that).

The use of grammar and proper English is non existent in some posts. Its pretty obvious to anyone over 30 that the kids that have grown up using a computer almost have a language unto themselves.

Proper spelling, punctuation, use of grammar is unknown to these people. Some posts are so lacking that I refuse to even attempt to finish reading them.

It's simple things, like the word "they're" meaning they are, when they need to use "their" meaning ownership or possession of, or the word "there",like over there, you know, somewhere where you ain't.

Another favorite of the English abusers is the use of "your"when it should be "you're" or vice versa. I'm beginning to think that some people don't even know that the word "you're" exists, they just say "your" for all applications.

How about the words "to", "two" and "too" ?
Again, some punks use "to" for everything. You know, one, to, three, four. I have to of these and you have to of that, oh do you have one to?

Now, I could perfectly understand some mistakes if you were say, a student from China trying to learn the English language. At least they would have an excuse, because synonyms or acronyms can be very confusing to foreigners.

And what's up with these kids nowadays refusing to capitalize anything?

i think that my family docter mr king is a nice man. is he your doctor to? if he is yor docter to pm me and will talk about it.

Annoying,very annoying.

In a time where anyone can download a multitude of spell checkers, and even a kid that has flunked the 7th grade four times in a row is able to at least look like he has a clue because the computer will actually help them, there is simply NO excuse to appear illiterate.

Sometimes I actually think that our enemies are in the shadows waiting to take over and descend upon us like a plague of hungry locusts on a corn field. They are sitting there gleefully intercepting all Internet activity, while snickering amongst themselves and telling each other..."it wont be long now". Those Americans can't spell, they can barely read, they don't now about history and are doomed to repeat it and most of them don't have a clue about their own government and how it works.

Our enemies laugh and when they read some of the posts on forums they shake their heads in disbelief that the most powerful country in the world is producing a generation that is so soft,so infirm and so stupid,that they know that all they have to do to take over from within is to wait for all of the old guys with the old ways to die off and they'll be able to help us self destruct, just exactly like every other great civilization in throughout history has.

I suppose it's no wonder. Since the "no kids left behind" policy has been embraced by most of our ultra liberal left wing teachers,where students don't have to make a grade, or they get expelled for a simple fistfight, or they make the national news for bringing a deadly weapon butter-knife to school to cut their apple with, this "dumbing" of America has entered an accelerated pace.

Now these dummies are growing up, and most of them can't balance a checkbook or make a simple decision with out consulting their superiors. Some of them are becoming doctors,lawyers and even legislators. Some day in the not to distant future, one of them might even become the President of the United States and when someone asks him how many states there are he might even say "58" and not really know. Nah...that couldn't happen here could it?:scruntiny:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with this completely. The kids are not the whole problem, though. My son had a language teacher in high school who would ask the class "Where's your homework at?" How are they supposed to learn from teachers like that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started a similar thread on another forum, and got flamed by a couple of other members for being "uppity and arrogant and know-it-all", with comments like who made you editor of this forum? Their reply was, of course, in all lower case, no punctuation, large bold-faced text, with many misspelled words and bad grammar. Those of us who made good grades in English class don't stand a chance in today's world.

P.S. I was raised in Arkansas.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Not to be "too" picky, but from your last paragraph, "Some day in the not to distant future". Should be "too distant".

I used to be a proofreader before the days of spell check and grammar check and those things just jump out at me. I can't help it. Like you, there are posts I cannot finish because I refuse to go back and re-read parts of it to make sense of the nonsensical parts. My wife will no longer allow me to read the Memphis Commercial Appeal because apparently they have fired all of their editors and proofreaders. I simply refer to it as the "Comical Appeal" because it so poorly written.

We also have posters on this forum who have no idea how a comma is supposed to be used. I, can't, read, a post, that, looks, like, this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts