Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't this just the epitome of gun free zones.

Spokane County Sheriff asked to disarm when entering Spokane Arena
Posted: Feb 12, 2017 10:30 AM PST
Updated: Feb 12, 2017 10:30 AM PST

SPOKANE, Wash. -

Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich was flabbergasted Saturday night when he says he tried to enter the Spokane Chiefs game at Spokane Arena to promote a charity hockey game and wasn't allowed inside.

The sheriff tells us he is always on duty, so he always carries his gun with him. But when he tried getting into the Spokane Arena Saturday, he was told by the security that he would have to take off his gun and leave it in his car because of a policy they have in place.

"This is bureaucracy and bureaucrats run wild. I've never sen anything quite like this," Sheriff Knezovich said. The sheriff says he plans to ask the board that operates the venue why he has to be disarmed because he says, "It makes zero sense."

"I can understand if we are off duty, if there's liquor being sold there, I can understand that. But when you are on duty and representing the county at an event, I've just never heard anything like this," Sheriff Knezovich said, " Many, many of the active shooter type situations that happen in this nation have been stopped by off duty police officers carrying their weapons."

KHQ reached out to the Spokane Arena for comment and has not heard back, but we do know they have been implementing new security measures like metal detectors and have also put a new policy in place banning firearms. The arena's policies can be read in full here: Spokane Arena - Policies

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't upload video, but the camera panned in on his side arm. 1911, with "molon labe" inscribed on the grips. Just gotta love Sheriff Ozzy. The Sheriff is on duty 24/7, 365 days, I think someone is getting re-trained today. At the very least, get someone at higher pay grade down at the door to make a decision.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Would be interesting to see if WA statute exempts on-duty LE from the "no-gun" rules.
Regardless, the chief of security obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
..........are we losing Washington too? :icon_neutral:

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
..........are we losing Washington too? :icon_neutral:
Washington=Lost Cause....... Oregon on the same path......

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Based on this article, this is not a new problem - just that nobody has taken the initiative to fix it.

"The arena has barred any type of weapons since 1995. Officials say if off duty police officers really want to exempt from the policy, their guild or union are welcome to approach the public facilities board about a change."

Arena gun policy concerns some citizens - KXLY

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
At least they are consistent. If he can bring his firearm in I should be able to as well.

He should have arrested the rent a cop for obstruction. So what if it doesn't stick. You have to have some guts/stupidity to be a security guard and tell a cop to disarm.
:rolleyes: This is definitely the dumbest thing Ive read on the internet today.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheriff Ozzy, as we call him around town is the highest elected law enforcement officer in the county, someone, and I feel it will be the Sheriff, needs to see that things get changed.

·
Registered
722 Posts
goodness gracious.....the top cop walked away from a huge PUBLIC gathering, or went into the venue unarmed...by private security...NO Stones...vote this idiot out, Please.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can't understand why he didn't tell them to whistle dixie and to kiss his ass but I wasn't there either. We shall see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I thought I recognized his name. This Sherriff has been pretty outspoken in the past but also attacked by Alex jones of info wars. He is probably being targeted somewhat by some of his past supposed viewpoints against constitutionalists by his deputy. Yet the Sherriff himself claims to be a constitutionalist and blames Alex Jones for placing statements out of context.

Who knows...it is all getting out of control.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I rally like the viewpoints and words spoken by this attorney about constitutional rights and ownership of private property.

Not sure if this plays into it as well but the title & comments below are sure hating on the Sherrif.

Reactions: BBMike

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Think of your favorite Western movie (Tombstone, Silverado, High Noon). Now imagine the Sheriff being disarmed beFORE entering the saloon, dancehall or bordello. This is NOT...the "American Way". What's he supposed to do? Uphold the peace with a hot latte from Starbucks? :soapbox:

Reactions: rcsoftexas
1 - 20 of 61 Posts