Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stolen Valor | Home Gun Training

It is always good to be able to spot slimeballs trying to scam you. One of the worst breeds of fraudsters are miltary poseurs.

Sadly, I tend to disbelieve someone if they ever tell me they were a SEAL, especially out of the blue since this kind of BS is so common now.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I had a professional peer who was (eventually) court-martialed for falsely claiming to be a SEAL, and Scuba Instructor. He was in 1st SFG(A) at the time of his being discovered...........

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I do think that posing as military (when not) is a crime?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
My nephew (undergrad) tried telling me that he had an open invitation to Marine OCS anytime before he graduates.

Now granted, he's an idiot. But do not posers realize that there are so many of us who have served, that they just can't possibly pull it off?

·
Registered
140 Posts
There was a story recently here near St Louis about a CCW instructor who was busted by undercovers for not meeting the state guidelines for training (8 hours classroom plus range time and the guy just told war stories for 3-4 hours).

In the news story he also claimed to be a navy seal, but the news never did report on if that claim was valid or not.

One problem in discovering these people is the Internet. They have access to and use stories of real vets and integrate them into their lies, making it hard to detect them.

Not buy a few years ago a local politician claimed he had the medal of valor, turned out he had served and was awarded some lesser medal (don't remember which one), but he even had a fake medal. Shows you the lengths some of them will go with these lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
One tell tale sign is someone that says they have such and such awards but you can't see it because it is classified. The write up may be classified but you can still have the award and orders for the award.

Besides, folks that actually do such things do not bring it up in conversation.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
My nephew (undergrad) tried telling me that he had an open invitation to Marine OCS anytime before he graduates.

Now granted, he's an idiot. But do not posers realize that there are so many of us who have served, that they just can't possibly pull it off?
There recently was a very high official @ Texas A&M U who successfully pulled it off for years before he was caught and fired.
Cons can be pretty good at pretending they are something they aren't. It even happens with dirt pretending to be a doctor or a nurse and it isn't uncommon for them to walk around and "work" for weeks or months before something alerts a patient or
another staff member.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
MFF wings to boot....

·
Registered
42,916 Posts
I think this would be a good indication:

Yeah, he could have pulled that off if he'd worn lieutenant's bar. The colonel's eagle is too unbelievable for one so young. I don't think this is what they had in mind when they allowed gays to serve openly..

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I seem to run into these guys a lot at places where there's a bunch of ladies..

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
They should take ADM Borda's lead and do the honorable thing. He refused to bring discredit to the service.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts