Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at small 380s to upgrade my summer carry from the .25 I've been using, (I know I know don't load it, if you do blah blah you'll get you butt beat) but I don't live in a high crime area and things are quiet. But with all the goings on I feel more firepower might be good, but I'm not a big guy and my work and work dress makes it harder to conceal. I held the springfield 911 and liked how it felt, didn't get to shoot it though. what are your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
My thoughts?
I've never shot a Springfield 380 - but 380 is better than 25 acp.
Where one lives in unrelated to stopping a threat ASAP.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't have a Springfield 911, I do have a Kimber Micro and a Colt 380 Government Model. There is also the Mustang, the Sig something, with small variations, they are all the same.

They are generally reliable and accurate. On the downside, they are single action and a lot of people with them have found the safety off at times. There are things that can be done to make the safety engagement a bit more solid.

If you are comfortable with an external safety, I would not hesitate to recommend one. I would not recommend one for pocket carry. At the moment I am wearing a Browning 1911-380 it is similar in concept, but a bit larger. However, it too is in a belt holster.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
JMHO, but a cocked-and-locked single action pistol is not a good choice for a deep-concealment CCW, and certainly not for pocket carry. I would go with either a Kahr P380/CW380 or a G42. I favor the Kahr.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I personally would not carry any single action for concealed self defense. I love them and shoot them great but I don't want to have to remember when faced with a life threatening situation to flick off a safety and perhaps even more important remember to flick it back on right after you just shot somebody and your dealing with losing fine motor skills during an adrenaline rush. You don't want to forget and holster it and blow a hole in you or inadvertently shoot when not intending to.
I know everybody thinks they are John Wick but, that is not my experience in real life.
My opinion is the gun you shoot best at the range has nothing to do with the gun you should carry concealed for self defense. I know it goes against the grain of internet wisdom but you will never even feel a heavier trigger in a real situation so why carry one?
Learn to shoot properly and you don't need one.
Most CC folks would be much better served with a revolver or DAO semi auto truth be told.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Its a knock off of the sig 238 its fine ... But I rather do a sig 938 over a 238 or clone ....

Also as other noted its a 1911 action ..So unlike most current pocket rockets you need to rememebr to flick off the safty before firing ..If you always used 1911 you should be fine ..If not ...

If your used to DAO etc action system I would look at something like a sig 365 or Kahr or glock 43x etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't shot the SA .380, but own other Springfields and they are great guns. If you want a single action .380, another choice to think about is the Sig Sauer p238. I have one that I carry and it is wonderful for its size.

I have to agree with Kilowatt though - if you're thinking of pocket carry I wouldn't go with a single action. There are plenty of polymer wonder guns that could fill the same need safely.

·
Registered
G19/4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 (for now)
72 Posts
Can't speak for SA, but Glock 42 is sweet.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I have both Glock 42 and SIG P238. Both are totally reliable. The Glock has a heavier perceived trigger pull. A trigger gauge will tell you they are the same, but the Glock trigger is stiff and gritty when compared to the SIG trigger. I have not done any modifications to either gun. Glocks are intolerant of any limp wristing, but the little SIG's can quit if you really do lot have a truly firm, up tight grip. And while we are at it, the Glock 42 (mine and one owned by another person I know well) will NOT shoot Aguila .380. Just plain will not!!!! The SIG doesn't seem to care what you feed her except I never, ever use steel or aluminum cased ammo so don't know what might happen if you did.

I have read mixed reviews on the Springfield 911. Some say they are great and very reliable, but others have had problems. Granted that they are a lot less costly than the SIG P238, but for SD I want really reliable. The Glock was my carry gun for quite a long time, until I got familiar enough with the SIG to feel confident carrying it. "Familiar" means a lot of range time and a lot more dry fire and practice flicking the safety off, drawing and aiming with an empty gun.

The little 1911 style guns need to have the recoil spring and one other one (can't remember at the moment) replaced every 1500 rounds even though they are not true 1911 guns. Glocks can run for 20 years and/or 20,000 rounds without replacing recoil springs.

As far as safeties getting flicked off by accident, I really do not believe that anyone who has had a P238 will not say that has ever a been a problem. In fact, I had to work that safety on and off a LOT of times to get it so it wasn't so stiff I could hardly move it at all! Now it's OK but it's for sure not going to get flicked off by accident.

As far as cocked and locked SA for a pocket gun. No, I don't think I would do that either. I carry mine IWB, mostly in a Vedder Light Tuck or sometimes in a belly band. I do not feel that belly bands are particularly great for carry, but they have their "sometimes" uses. They are more stable than a "sticky" type holster, that's for darned sure. You are not inadvertently going to leave your gun on the back of a toilet if it is in a belly band, whereas quite a few of "us" have done that when using Remora or Sticky holsters. Just sayin'!

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
I pocket carried a Sig P238 .380 from the time they came out until the Sig P938 9mm came out. I have carried a Sig P938 9mm cocked and locked in my right front jeans pocket in a leather pocket holster for several years with no issues.

I also carry a government model 1911 on my belt. My thumb automatically wipes the safety on my 1911, my Sig P938, my Glock G35, or my revolvers on the draw.

My wife liked shooting my Sig P938 so well, that she switched to one as her primary carry gun with the extended magazine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like Springfield Armorys firearms and their 911 looks and even feels like the Sig P238. For the money and the quality issues Sig has had over the last few years I would buy the Springfield.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I like Springfield Armorys firearms and their 911 looks and even feels like the Sig P238. For the money and the quality issues Sig has had over the last few years I would buy the Springfield.
I have noted that the problems SIG has had over the last few years have been with their plastic fantastics. It seems they know how to make metal guns pretty well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
M. Surefire and I both have the 911 ( and 938s) . The 911s have been very reliable, the recoil is very pleasant. I shoot the 911 very well; it has good ergonomics and for me, very accurate. Pocket carry for either would necessitate a pocket holster of course. I also carry my Kahr P380 frequently, love them all!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have noted that the problems SIG has had over the last few years have been with their plastic fantastics. It seems they know how to make metal guns pretty well.
I would agree the classics P220, P226 etc are outstanding firearms and run like the wind. But my MPX, MCX and one of my P238s have been back to Sig for fixin. My friend has a AR I thinks its a 716 and he is having all kinds of problems with it. I do not own any Sig plastics but there are unfavorable reports out there for sure.

Maybe now that Sig is closing in Germany and everything being made in the USA it will help but who knows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I finally decided to go with the 911 380 the places that had them for the price I was willing to pay were out, but I was lead to the 911 in 9 mm and though the recoil was harsher it was a very nice gun so I went ahead and ordered it. I figured with the way things are going I just might need the bigger thump anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts