Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getiin' close to a purchase and found a springfield armory mil-spec 1911, ultra compact.brand new at the gun store.
they want 500 for it.

sounds like a "fair" deal.
not "stealing" it, but prolly not gettin taken either.

does this sound like the "right" price to ya'all?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Sounds "good" but not "braggable". I've never really seen a "bargain" on a 1911 of any sort because they're so popular it's easy to sell one.

Locally where I'm at, it'd be a very fair price indeed, but guns seem to cost a little bit more here sometimes. And there's also something to be said for buying a gun you can fondle before you buy, and one you buy sight unseen.

Personally if I saw that deal here locally, and it was the finish I wanted and I was in a buying mood, I'd bite on that deal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know pricing is subject to geographic location at times. But I've seen the compact version locally at gun shows for $425. There's a few on gunbroker/gunsamerica for a lower price than you mentioned. I know you have to add shipping and a transfer fee most likely, but it might be worth looking into. Maybe the local gun shop will match a price for you.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Im in the very same boat as Sololucky.

Boy does Geogrophy have alot to do with it! The one gun shop I was pricing it in wans around $550.
If I still lived in N.Y. I would defenatly pay less. The demand is much higher in a right to cary state in "The Dirty South", than in a state where its rare to meet another CCW holder under 45 years old.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I think they can be had brand new for about 479.00......and I think that's a negotiable price at that.I'd check around a bit before plunking down the cash....might be a sharper price close to you....
Didn't see Hawkeye's post, but now that I've looked.that's an awsume deal at 458.00.plus you'd get Davidson's lifetime warranty too :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
you'd best check out what that Dealer's talking about, because the "ultra" doesn't seem to fit under what you're saying.. what Barrel lenght is it? The "ultra" comes in 3.5 inch and it's in stainless steel only....the "mil spec" Gi is a 3 inch micro....The pic is of a mico compact 3 inch <just looked at the page myself.....I've had the Ultra in the V10 config...and that's not an "ultra".......It's "ultra compact" though...Just don't want you to be over-buying something you can get NEW for less..
Here's what the Ultra looks like :
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-uc.shtml
then the Micro:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PW9801LLarge.jpg
Hope this helps :biggrin:

·
Registered
862 Posts
hmmm yeah. Im going to talkto a dealer about this. The clirk I talked to was just a kid, that thumbed through the catalog.

The stainless Ultra compact might be out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
FYI - Guy at main club bought a Micro a few weeks back - I tried it and was impressed. :smile:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
gregarat said:
hmmm yeah. Im going to talkto a dealer about this. The clirk I talked to was just a kid, that thumbed through the catalog.

The stainless Ultra compact might be out of my price range.
It sounded to me that the Clerk didn't know what he was talking about.. Myself, I have about 30 yrs of shooter, buyer/trader, gun dealer FFL expreience behind me. The Ultra is a great weapon, and the Micro is nice as well.. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP, had a Springer V10 Ultra Compact.. also many 1911 types, and a Colt Defender which I recently picked up and tested in another thread (take a look at the "3 gun range report")
I just thought you were getting some bad info from the Clerk, and spending too much hard earned $$$ on somebody who was ill-informed and giving you wrong info......just my opinion though :biggrin:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yup, I was thinkin the same, when I made that post. I unfortunatly dont know a heck of alot about the 1911, but I am willing to learn.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SOLOLUCKY said:
Ok, I'm getiin' close to a purchase and found a springfield armory mil-spec 1911, ultra compact.brand new at the gun store.
they want 500 for it.

sounds like a "fair" deal.
not "stealing" it, but prolly not gettin taken either.

does this sound like the "right" price to ya'all?
SOLUCKY,
If I still had my Ultra Compact I would have sold it to you at the same price but this one has all the bells & whistles and a few personal modifications for better carry. Alas it became part of a trade for a new Wilson CQB!!! It had about 500 rounds through it at the time of trade. Extremely accurate and did not experience any of the reliability problems inherent with some sub 4" barreled 1911's. This gun started life as a Mil Spec. I bobbed the grip safety beak and hammer spur, replaced the arched MSH and trigger, added night sights and slim grips. I also performed a slight trigger job to make it a little easier to shoot. The guy I traded it to said it sold within 15 minutes of my trade.
Here are a few pics of the Ultra Compact I speak of:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=371
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=372
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=373

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
tex - nice hammer, nice safety, nice chequering, nice read sight too - altogether - very nice. :smile:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WELL ITS MINE!!

Went this a.m. and laid down the $$.
happy so far.
Disassembled it.
Ain;t shot it yet.
Tomorrow.
will be the first time i've shot a 45.
seen and mostly heard) the guys shooting the BIG 45's at the range.
and to be honest i HATED being next to'em but always wanted to at least shoot one.
So i got it.
I'll post my "first timer" experience after i fire it this weekend.
fun fun fun.

now i need about a thouand rounds to get it broke in and mostly to git me comfortable enuf with it to be comfortable carrying it.
i wouldn't even think about carrying it now (ccw) since its so new to me.
just handling it it weerks so much different than my P-89.
the same but different...

oh well, i'll check back in after firing it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Great SOLO - I can see the grin from here!
oh well, i'll check back in after firing it.
You betcha! :smile:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OH MY!!
I am definitely bit.
I love this gun!!

thats all i can say.

i'm speechless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts