Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own or know anythig about the Springfield TRP, .45 ACP? I saw one today slightly used for $1,250.00 in stainless. It looked great and had a lod of bells and whistles. Does this price sound reasonable presuming the gun is in top notch shape? What's your overall opinion of the gun in general? Thanks

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
The TRP is a fantastic pistol, avg retail is/was around $1400, IMHO $1250 is a little high pending on exact age of the gun and which model it is.

I wouldn't mind having one and would have bought one if I hadn't found a similarly equipped used Les Baer TRS for about the same price of a new TRP.

Out of all the mid tier guns (the TRP is on the high end of the mid tier 1911 market) the TRP is probably my favorite and is one of the best priced pistols as equipped from the factory, the only thing I could do without is the full length guide rod but that's an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Locally in my area they run $1600, new. They go for about $1300, on GB, but that doesn't include shipping and the FFL fee. If you haven't held one yet I would, you might not like the checkering on the front strap. That's the only thing that I do not like about mine.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies . . .

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was considering one recently, but I'm with JD - it seems as though $1250 is high for one that is used. For a Springfield TRP, I was given a price of about $1240, brand new, signed, sealed, and delivered with tax. I think I've decided to go with a new Dan Wesson CZ Heritage for $1199, which includes 2 mags. Most feedback from forum members and other locals that I've gotten lean heavily towards the DW.

·
Super Moderator
19,236 Posts
Great gun.

At last year's NRA conference in Phoenix I spent significant time with the Springfield Armory Custom Shop crew setting up, and then later when the show was under way. I lusted after their Professional model (the issued to FBI HRT) but the $3000-ish price tag was daunting. The SA Custom guys said the best bang for the buck short of the Pro model was the TRP, and fundamentally it was just hours of hand-fitting that separated the TRP from the Pro.

I picked up an early-model TRP last year (NIB) for under $1200. I swapped out the full-length guide rod for standard parts, and a $100 throating job makes it feed everything, even empty cases. It's a solid, rugged gun, with nothing delicate about it. Yep, I got chewed up by the checkering on the front strap at first, but if my hand is covered in slime or blood, I know I'll still have a strong purchase on the gun. This is quite probably the last gun I will ever part with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TRP is a great pistol. had my eye on one ,but my friend who ran the shop
only had the PX9151LP Loaded full size Stainless, and let me have it at cost since he was needing cash so I got that instead.
I could not find much differences in the one I got and the TRP except the TRP had a widemouth magwell. Mine is beveled enough to load quite easily so
I probably got somewhere close to the TRP, for half the cost.
All I know is I could not tell the difference shooting both , he had the TRP as his personal gun.
I feel like I got a great deal , it shoots so sweet.
I would like to own the TRP too though. Just greedy I guess.:image035:

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's near the top of my short list. Very nice weapon.

Around here, they go for about 1250 new and 1100 used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts