Defensive Carry banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
I was the gunsmith at our local indoor range for a couple of years. We had a full line of Springfield 1911 pistols, including the EMP's. Overall they are good little pistols but there are a couple of things I observed on two EMP's that were sold. These were early models so keep that in mind. The first one had feed issues from the magazine into the chamber. Springfield got them taken care of in short order. The second one was a bit more obscure. The customer brought it to me a couple of times claiming that it was short cycling. I looked it over the first time and figured it just needed some lube. I oiled it up for him and he went on his way. A week or two later he was back with the same problem. I took the slide off the frame and carefully inspected the part relationships. What I found really disappointed me. I noticed that the ejector was not pinned into the frame, rather it was pressed in. The ejector had lifted up and was rubbing on the bottom of the slide increasing friction. That friction was slowing the slide down enough to interfere with proper function. There was an obvious wear pattern on the bottom of the slide and the top of the ejector. I looked at several of the other EMP's we had in the case and found that they were all the same. I talked to our local rep and he checked with Springfield directly. They were made without pinned ejectors intentionally. I sent two back in the time I was there to have the ejectors pinned because they were lifting up during operation. If you get an EMP I would recommend you get the ejector pinned. Its a bit disappointing that a $1200+ 1911 pistol requires work right out of the box. Once that issue is fixed then it should run like a top. One thing I can attest to is that Springfield has always taken care of the customer issues that I found.
Here is my EMP 40 frame, it is obviously pinned from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I owned three Springfield EMP 9mm. One worked and was 100% reliable. One didn't work - numerous failure to feeds. The third one I sold off unfired.
I liked the guns, but found that the length of the grip really didn't help conceal it anymore than my Glock 19s.

When I walk by one in a gun store, I get a feeling to give it another go... but the wife said, NO, no more EMPs; you can get any other gun but not an EMP.
Oh well, good thing that there are lots of choices :smile:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ut we looked at the price and the mag capacity and decided on something else. For me a Ruger American 9mm full size 17 +1. Not as nice as the EMP 4 but still a great gun. If I win the lottery, I may get one.
I try not to compare the capacity and price of a plastic striker to a metal SA when shopping. Not really fair as one is metal and the other is plastic, trigger is going to be different, etc. Comparing guns that way is like saying, this Toyota Corolla has a seating capacity of four vs this more expensive Porsche that only seats two. Yeah one is cheaper and hplds more but not necessarily better.

I own metal and plastic but do not mind the higher prices I have paid on the metal ones. To me it was worth it.

Of course I do not own and EMP solely do the cost. LOL! Just not the right time for a purchase like that in my situation.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My LGS had an EMP that was "LNIB," a used gun with very few rounds through it. I asked if I could put three rounds through it "just to see." It is a nice gun and it shot well and superbly accurately. I put three more hollow points through it and the last one stove piped, but that might have been my fault. Long story short - I didn't like it enough to buy it. I have a 17 year old Kimber Tactical Ultra II (.45) that feels better and is every bit as accurate. The EMP? It seems like a good gun, but I am going to pass on it right now. I still have the itch, however. Maybe a revolver?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts