Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they any good? We were at a store a few weeks ago and my 17yo daughter seen the EMP in 9mm. The gentleman (our enabler ) let her look at it and then I looked at it. Seems like a decent gun. She feel in love with it and said she was going to start saving for one. They look nice but I just don't hear them mentioned much

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the EMP line. The biggest drawback to me is the giant logo across the slide. Everything else about them is top notch though I believe.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to start doing my research in case she does in fact down the road decide on one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Are they any good? We were at a store a few weeks ago and my 17yo daughter seen the EMP in 9mm. The gentleman (our enabler ) let her look at it and then I looked at it. Seems like a decent gun. She feel in love with it and said she was going to start saving for one. They look nice but I just don't hear them mentioned much
The bugs have been pretty well worked out of the 3" EMP but I like the newer Champion models with a commander size 4" barrel and 10 rd capacity best.
It is a 1911 style build from the ground up as a 9mm. It took them a while to get it right but I think it's there now.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I have the EMP in 9mm. The two beefs with it were the ILMS and the ejectors being glued, not pinned. Mine is a late 2015 production which means it does not have the ILMS and the ejector is pinned, not glued. Very happy with it.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Not sure if I can justify the cost of an emp along with harder to find mags made only for the EMP

Maybe range officer compact to get the 4" barrel if that's what your daughter wants as it comes with thin grips , add a short reach trigger for a shorter reach or a ultra /defender for the shorter 3.24" barrel with a short trigger if needed and skinny grip panels . I had a kimber ultra 9mm . Wife claimed it as hers . I did change to thin g-10 grips and shes happy with the reach with only the grip change . Her hands are small . .

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a chance to shoot one owned by a fellow student, a new shooter, at a training class.

It was ridiculously easy to shoot very well. For someone not accustomed to shooting, I think it's an excellent choice, as long as they will put in the time for the safety to become second nature.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My buddy has one. He absolutely loves it. He calls it his Visine...'cuz it "gets the red out". Essentially, after a couple magazines, there is no red bullseye left, and no strays. I've put a few mags thru it and thought it was fantastic. It is on my "someday" wishlist. They feel a lot like a Kimber Ultracarry or similar, weigh about the same, but even softer recoil.

My only problem with the EMP, the same problem I have with my Kimber, is that they're both too pretty to carry every day. I read somewhere, maybe here: "you show your enemies your Glock, and you show your friends your Kimber. It's pretty true. I love my Kimber and my p938 equinox, but I carry the Glocks, XDs, Shield, and even the 238 more often, so I don't scrape up those purty guns.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I own one of the earlier 9mm. It had to go back to Springfield's Custom Shop initially. They got it running flawlessly. It hasn't missed since...with something like 1500 rounds through it...including a couple of training courses.
Sweet trigger and shooter...and its weight diminishes felt-recoil.
I don't carry it all that often because it's too nice/expensive.
Down sides... the night sights were tough for my old eyes to pick up. I changed them out for fiber optics...much better.
It's a '1911' style pistol...so it's little more difficult to field strip ('idiot scratch' risk), and a little more complicated manual of arms (malfunction drills, etc.)
Train accordingly.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
EMP 9mm; Great guns, well made, stand up well, shoot well .... very accurate. Only thing on mine ... cannot shoot a 147 gr hollow point, will hang up on the feed ramp. No big deal, just changed and keep a different ammo in it. Anything like Critical Defense and others without the wide hollow point will go thru fine, or if it's in 130 gr or 124 gr. Easy to handle, easy to shoot. Especially good if you don't have big hands. Mine was polished up in the Custom Shop and that is well worth it, smoothest operating as any I've ever shot.

Also easy to conceal.

Be sure of 2 things, 1) that she's ok with a 1911 -- cocked / locked, and 2) that she understands people will want to steal it if given the chance.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I haven't fired an EMP, only gazed longingly at a couple during visits to the LGS. Very nice compact 1911s. The steep price is the only reason I don't have one.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eric357 Guess your corn-fuzzed about someone having issues with "field stripping " a 1911 , Me to or some that may not want to carry a handgun because of its higher cost !
Ok thanks. I wasn't catching it. I was kind of tired and things weren't computing right. Yep no problem here carrying a fine gun. My main gun is my 229.

She wouldn't be able to carry it for a few years but wouldn't be bad to get one when she saves up so by time she can carry she know the gun. Actually I had said something about it being single action and she commented that it was fine because she would only use it at the range for now, but gave her time to learn to use it. :)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Sounds like you have a smart lady there . My wife did not want to carry a single action for years do as much to the trigger type and handgun weight and I hate the carry weight of steel 1911 but my wife loved to shoot our old colt huntsman with its great 2lb trigger but that may have scared her from CC a SA . Once I got her to try my kimber LW 9mm that was it . She claimed my kimber as hers for carry . Whats a guy to do ?? Buy another pistol and keep it away from my wife .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts