Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You know, I'm going to take your screed as a genuine question. I do not buy v1.0 software - ever. That policy has saved me thousands of hours and dollars over the years. I let others buy newly designed weapons and watch to see what systemic problems they have. Why? Because unlike the software my life may hang in the balance on the proper operation of the weapon. That is why I will not own a weapon that has repeated failures reported that other weapons in the same class do not have reported. Have a great day.
Wouldn't the best way to be to find out for yourself...Get out and run a few hundred rounds of different ammo
and brands?....Sure beats the heck out of taking someone else's word ford for it...

I will use Glock for example...Everyone says how great and reliable they are...But i am not gonna buy one and trust
every person who posts on a forum or you tube (Good or Bad) enough to skip running enough rounds myself until i am satisfied.

There are way too many factors that can contribute to someone slamming on any gun.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Wouldn't the best way to be to find out for yourself...Get out and run a few hundred rounds of different ammo
and brands?....Sure beats the heck out of taking someone else's word ford for it...

I will use Glock for example...Everyone says how great and reliable they are...But i am not gonna buy one and trust
every person who posts on a forum or you tube (Good or Bad) enough to skip running enough rounds myself until i am satisfied.

There are way too many factors that can contribute to someone slamming on any gun.
Nope. Not gonna be the test pilot on my own dime for new designs, sorry. If a weapons manufacturer wants to send me a weapon to test for them on their dime then I'd be open to doing so. But, why would I put my life on the line to test out a new weapon AND pay my own money for the "privilege" of doing so? As I said earlier in the thread: I own two SC 9mm pistols (PPS & P99c) and neither has any drag marks on the primers. Drag marks mean that the firing pin (striker) is getting lateral and/or torsional stresses that increase the likelihood of the tip breaking thereby rendering the weapon worse than useless. No thanks. Next.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Oh Glock 26, how do I love thee... :rofl:
Looks like the thread with the discussion about smith and wesson needing to have an “answer” for this gun isn’t going to age well.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Does anyone REALLY need to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release? There are bound to be a few bugs. Give the manufacturer time to work them out, THEN buy it. If you need a gun right now, there are lots of alternative.

Yes, someone REALLY needs to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release, otherwise, how else would we know if there were any bugs that needed to be worked out?

Just kidding.

I will not buy a gun in it's first year of existence, again. I have been guilty of that a time or two.

I bought a Kimber k6s that the first 3 numbers of the 6 number serial number are 006. I hadn't even heard of the K6s yet, but I saw it at Cabelas one day and bought it on the spot because it just felt like such a high quality revolver. It seems to have turned out alright.

I was planning on getting a 365, but now I will probably wait another year and get the Hellcat, unless S&W comes out with the 12 round shield 3.0, then I'll have to wait another year. Lol.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Nope. Not gonna be the test pilot on my own dime for new designs, sorry. If a weapons manufacturer wants to send me a weapon to test for them on their dime then I'd be open to doing so. But, why would I put my life on the line to test out a new weapon AND pay my own money for the "privilege" of doing so? As I said earlier in the thread: I own two SC 9mm pistols (PPS & P99c) and neither has any drag marks on the primers. Drag marks mean that the firing pin (striker) is getting lateral and/or torsional stresses that increase the likelihood of the tip breaking thereby rendering the weapon worse than useless. No thanks. Next.
So you would trust a gun that has been out a couple years based on what everyone else says?
Do you run numerous rounds through any gun to see if a problem arises for yourself...Just in case
you get a bad gun that everyone else raves about?

Just trying to understand the logic of believing what you read as end all be all.

The Walther PPS has a great reputation and i own one...and i
found that out myself... But i know i can dig up some bad stuff on it as well
even after has been out this long and got it back from a voluntary recall.

Speaking of the M2 here not the first version.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yes, someone REALLY needs to buy one of these in the first 6 months to 1 year of release, otherwise, how else would we know if there were any bugs that needed to be worked out?

Just kidding.

I will not buy a gun in it's first year of existence, again. I have been guilty of that a time or two.

I bought a Kimber k6s that the first 3 numbers of the 6 number serial number are 006. I hadn't even heard of the K6s yet, but I saw it at Cabelas one day and bought it on the spot because it just felt like such a high quality revolver. It seems to have turned out alright.

I was planning on getting a 365, but now I will probably wait another year and get the Hellcat, unless S&W comes out with the 12 round shield 3.0, then I'll have to wait another year. Lol.
I don't trust any of them rather they have been out 6 months or 10 yrs until i get my own grubby hands on one myself.
I guess i am not a very trusting person.:smile:

·
Registered
453 Posts
You're kidding but your right. Someone has to take one for the team :tongue:

I think at this point the P365 is GTG. It went through it's shakedown and came out the other side better. If I was in the market for a single stack-ish subcompact 9mm right now, that would be my choice. But I'm one of the oddballs who likes safeties, and it has it.

And I'm interested to see what S&W and Glock do. Glock had a weak response with the G43x, but I think they'll need to do better than that.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Small sampling of Youtube videos available for concluding the quality of the follow firearms:

Glock 19 Gen 3 Erratic shell Ejection Fix
GLOCK GEN 4 PROBLEMS? WATCH THIS!!
Glock 19 Gen 4 ejector problem

Walther PPQ M2 9mm Malfunction & Problems
Walther CCP pistol - manufacturing problems and safety issues
Walther CCP Safety Recall

3 Problems With My Ruger Security 9 Compact !
Ruger PC carbine. PROBLEMS
Ruger Redhawk FAIL!

Smith & Wesson Sucks!
S&w SW1911SC 4.25" PROBLEM
S&W 638 Cylinder Hangup

The supply is endless............
There really is nothing to know from a few reports of issues. Like cars, all brands and models of firearms have some problem guns. Unless you know percent of units that have a problem and can compare that with the average of all others, there is no way to generalize any problem reported. Once in a while you get lucky and run across something like the first run of the Remington R51 and the evidence is overwhelming. Time will tell how the Hellcat stacks up.

In the meantime, pick the firearm brand you most like, then enjoy the almost unlimited supply of youtube videos casting aspersions on it.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
In the end it only matters what you think... If a gun does right by the person buying it.
All the negative and also positive reviews mean nothing.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I think one can make a judgement from two reports in this thread: 1) the broken striker, and 2) the primer drag. The P365 had both initially. Sis denied that there was anything wrong. But they have redesigned the striker twice so new guns are on striker version 3. The P365 striker problem showed up after the guns had had some use. That is the issue for me. Same symptoms as the P365 make me assume that it might fail if and when I need it. For me to is just not worth the risk at this time. If time tells a different story that could change my mind, but right now I think the Hellcat seems like a Pearly P365 waiting to happen.

I applied the same standard to my PPS M2. I planned to Puy on early on but waited a while and then the problem happened and they had to recall guns. Once that was declared fixed I waited a year before buying one. I do not ever want to buy a gun that has a built in defect. I wait until they get it right.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I bought one and will do my own testing when I get it. If I see issues, I obviously will contact the manufacturer. Same way I did with one of my many m&p’s. Same way I’m doing currently with one of my STI 2011’s. The reason “back in the day” you didn’t hear of problems is because they didn’t have the World Wide Web and all of the social forums you have today. Between social media and YouTube, you can find bad reviews on about anything out there. Should have mine by Friday. I’ll report here with my first range day report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lots of good points on here. I made the comment #13 about the brands I've had with no issues. Let me clarify that the Berettas are the 92 and 96. Sigs are the 229 and 226. I purchased a Shield after it was out approximately 3 years. Anything can malfunction but some seem to have alot more issues right out the gate. I know plenty of people that have the P365 with zero issues. It just had too many issues back to back for my peace of mind. Maybe after a few more years I'd give it a look. Maybe the same will be said for the Hellcat. Personally I don't buy a newly designed gun until I see all the bugs have been worked out. Same can be said for lots of things.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I have never been an early adaptor of any guns. I am surprised though after what Sig went through with the broken strikers on the P365 that the Hellcat may have similar issues. But I'm not going assume that is the case based on such a limited amount of data as one broken striker and one cracked feed ramp.

I'll give the Hellcat a year or two to manifest any issues, have them corrected, and for more market saturation to drive down the prices. I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of putting an RDS on my EDC.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I work in Product Development and know the pressures to release a product. I can't and won't say that the Hellcat is a bad design, but it seems like a reactive design cycle to try and compete with the P365. Therefore, I'm thinking there was a lot of pressure to release quickly and speed up testing and acceptance along the way. With that in mind I expect some bumps in the road for the early Hellcats, but hopefully SA can make solid adjustments and work it into a dependable design.

I had carried a G26 for 5 years when the P365 came out and I watched the growing pains with that design and waited for about a year before buying one after I had a solid feel that the issues were ironed out. The difference between the P365 and the Hellcat is that the P365 was a new concept that was developed and launched first and the Hellcat is a reactive development project that is a response to that new concept. I imagine the Hellcat was launched quickly (probably to get it out in time for Holiday buyers). Therefore I'm sure it is going to have as many or more issues than the Sig and I personally would be very wary of buying one until these problems are identified and worked out.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Review I just read online. Again, I know you can see reviews leaning both ways but the vast majority I’ve seen are positive. I’ll HOPEFULLY be testing mine out this Black Friday. I’ll try and put a few hundred rounds in it and monitor striker marks and all. I’ll update y’all soon!!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I bought one and will do my own testing when I get it. If I see issues, I obviously will contact the manufacturer. Same way I did with one of my many m&p’s. Same way I’m doing currently with one of my STI 2011’s. The reason “back in the day” you didn’t hear of problems is because they didn’t have the World Wide Web and all of the social forums you have today. Between social media and YouTube, you can find bad reviews on about anything out there. Should have mine by Friday. I’ll report here with my first range day report.

Probably be fine. The hysteria over the 365 issues was pretty overblown compared to the amount of pistols that were sold.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.