Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned, shot and carried many handguns over the last 30 years or so and I'm always looking for reliability, accuracy, concealable comfort and the option of mounting a tactical light/laser at night and removing it for concealed carry. I was attracted to the Sig P365s for that reason, but discouraged by the limited light options due to the fact that the frame rail isn't a true picatinny rail for a wider selection of lights.

Without going into details, I lost confidence in the P365, so I went back to Glocks in a big way over the last 12 months and now own a G23.4 in Battlefield Green (with a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion), a G26.5, a G42 and a Ruger LCP Gen 2 in stainless steel. I have great confidence in the Glocks, even though I've had issues with my right thumb riding the slide catch release and preventing me from locking back the slide on an empty mag with G42s and G43s.

In another thread on this forum I received some great input about 'printing' with various handguns of many calibers.

My inclination has been to become a 'one gun snowbird', but I've wandered a bit since I declared the G26 to be THAT gun, mainly due to some hernia surgery, which prevented my ability to abdomen carry the gun in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment horse hide holster ... so I sold it. Then, when my sutures healed I kicked myself for ever wandering from the 'true faith' and I started the search all over again.

For those of you who were early to the Hellcat, has it proven reliable over the long run? Any issues? Is it accurate? Will it accept popular WMLs, especially the Olight series (which I've got mounted on my G23)?

I could almost see myself slowly weaning myself from the Glocks in favor of one or two Hellcats and the LCP (which gets occasional use in the pocket or an ankle holster). But before I take that step, I'd like some feedback, because if the Hellcat is finicky, I won't go any further in this journey.

Thanks for your experience and thoughts.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well, IMHO I own both Glock as well as a P365 which is superb and will shoot circles around the G43 and has a greater capacity to boot; As for the Hellcat, here is a test by Clay Martin who ran 10,000 rounds continuously through the gun, more rounds than most will fire in a lifetime.

The gun seems to have run through it just fine, and that would be a gun I'd feel good about carrying into a fight.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
edr - that was quite a marathon session in the cold with that little gun.

I called Springfield to ask about a trigger issue that came up with early models and was assured the issue has been addressed. However, the lady couldn't answer my question about compatible Olight tactical lights, so I called them and they wanted me to leave a message. I'll try again later. There are a few on GunsAmerica in the $500+ range for the OSP model and although I have no desire to jump onto THAT bandwagon, my thoughts might change as I age ... so it could be a nice option.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Well, IMHO I own both Glock as well as a P365 which is superb and will shoot circles around the G43 and has a greater capacity to boot; As for the Hellcat, here is a test by Clay Martin who ran 10,000 rounds continuously through the gun, more rounds than most will fire in a lifetime.

The gun seems to have run through it just fine, and that would be a gun I'd feel good about carrying into a fight.

That gun is now at 20.000 rounds with no issues. The second 10,000 round test can be found on the interwebs. I have complete confidence in my Hellcat. I've been carrying mine off duty for a year os so now. I've had zero isssues with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I absolutely love my Hellcat and carry it every day, I trust my life with it and that if my family. It fits my hand perfectly, the grip texture is fantastic and I really like the sights! I can't speak to the availability and fitment of lights, as I don't have one on mine, but I would love to hear what you find out about them. I have added an Apex trigger to mine and it's really nice, but to be honest the stock trigger was actually a very decent and capable trigger in it's own right, I just wanted to see what the Apex would be like. I have ordered a replacement guiderod and spring from Springfield just to have when the time comes and for $13 is cheap insurance!

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I absolutely love my Hellcat and carry it every day, I trust my life with it and that if my family. It fits my hand perfectly, the grip texture is fantastic and I really like the sights! I can't speak to the availability and fitment of lights, as I don't have one on mine, but I would love to hear what you find out about them. I have added an Apex trigger to mine and it's really nice, but to be honest the stock trigger was actually a very decent and capable trigger in it's own right, I just wanted to see what the Apex would be like. I have ordered a replacement guiderod and spring from Springfield just to have when the time comes and for $13 is cheap insurance!

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

I have used the Olight Valkyrie Mini 2 with only the adapter mounting screws, but no adapter with success. Many folks are shaving one of the adapters down to fit the Hellcat slot also. But since I use my Mini 2 on my other carry guns sometimes, G30S, G19 or XDS .45, I usually just keep an adapter on it and if I would have to, use it on my Hellcat I remove the adapter.

I bought my Hellcat because of it's dimunitive size and capacity (the accuracy and handling were a pleasant surprise) so I wouldn't bugger it up with a WML for EDC anyway. But, it's nice to know I could use the Mini 2 on it if needed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've carried mine since they first came out and have been 100% happy with it's performance/accuracy. I tried the Sig P365 but the grip didn't suit me (too small). The Hellcat fits my grip better and I prefer the stock sights. I have probably put 800 - 1000 rounds through it without an issue. I carried a 1911 for many years but decided to try the Hellcat to lessen the weight and size, it has worked out well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I work in a shop part time and we have sold a fair number of hellcats. Only 2 returns and one was user error (easily fixed). Hope that helps. One DID go back for extractor repair. So far it has faired better than I thought it would. It seems to be a good weapon.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
There are many good choices out there for people, and really none better than the others.

It seems I am, and forever will be hitched to the G26 as my belt carried gun.
I have tried all the single stacks and the like; 365, Hellcat, G43, and X model, but I just find I don’t like their shooting characteristics, and some I downright dislike.
The chubby little G26 just seems to work for me like no other over a very wide ranging degrees of shooting and practical applications, and I know it is built to go the distance.

Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G-man ... I would have a hard time dumping my G26.5 after my long and circuitous route back to the model, but I'm thinking a Hellcat might replace the G23.4 as a HD gun and for other applications of deeper concealment. It might replace the G42 also, but I think the LCP will remain. Perhaps I'll wind up with the Hellcat, the 26 and the LCP. Still looking at my options because the weapons I currently have are quite adequate in most regards. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've had my Hellcat since January of last year and it is by and far my favorite gun ever for CCW...and just about everything else, too! I bought the OSP version for a few dollars more (the cost not the movie) but didn't get the RDS until late last year.

I bought the Shield SMS 4 MOA from Springfield for $299 and mounted it myself, just two Allen screws. I just looked at their site and they have a different one (Hex Wasp Micro Red Dot Signs - 3.5 MOA) for same price. I like the RDS...a lot. Especially since the dot co-witnesses with the stock U-dot sights, which are also very good. And the price for the gun is not excessive, especially considering everything the package offers.

I've put nearly 1000 rounds down range and have experienced zero performance issues. I have not found the Hellcat to be finicky at all. And I do not have a WML nor have I looked into it, so can offer no advice.

This little baby will make you a 'one gun snowbird' for sure. And they also offer a 'low capacity' version that limits to 10 rounds, though I haven't looked into the details of this.

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
713 Posts
wow. you guys are about to sell me one of these. i've got a P365, and it's okay, but just okay. nothing bad to say about it, but i shoot it the worst of my three guns. don't shoot it bad, just not great. i may have to find one of these and try it

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad Bob - I was thinking a heat-seeking, radar-guided TOW attachment might be nice. It might get a little bulky, but I think it'd be handier than strapping on a Nike Hercules missile like the one I stole as I was ETS-ing from the Army. (Oops, that sort of slipped out.) :)

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
Bad Bob - I was thinking a heat-seeking, radar-guided TOW attachment might be nice. It might get a little bulky, but I think it'd be handier than strapping on a Nike Hercules missile like the one I stole as I was ETS-ing from the Army. (Oops, that sort of slipped out.) :)
The Hercules is so much more bang for the buck.

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are many good choices out there for people, and really none better than the others.

It seems I am, and forever will be hitched to the G26 as my belt carried gun.
I have tried all the single stacks and the like; 365, Hellcat, G43, and X model, but I just find I don’t like their shooting characteristics, and some I downright dislike.
The chubby little G26 just seems to work for me like no other over a very wide ranging degrees of shooting and practical applications, and I know it is built to go the distance.

Good luck in your search!!
Every few years I look at the G26/27 for consideration. I just love the thought of one and the fact it’s been around for a long time. Each time I hold one it just feels so off in my hand. A gun store I was at last week had a gen 5 27 and I was excited to hold it thinking maybe without the finger grooves it would work. Unfortunately I still didn’t like the way it felt. It’s kind of crazy that I want to like a gun so much but can’t. 19/23 don’t feel bad. The little 43,43x,and
48 don’t feel bad just the Glock I really want to like does.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Every few years I look at the G26/27 for consideration. I just love the thought of one and the fact it’s been around for a long time. Each time I hold one it just feels so off in my hand. A gun store I was at last week had a gen 5 27 and I was excited to hold it thinking maybe without the finger grooves it would work. Unfortunately I still didn’t like the way it felt. It’s kind of crazy that I want to like a gun so much but can’t. 19/23 don’t feel bad. The little 43,43x,and
48 don’t feel bad just the Glock I really want to like does.
I never liked the way the Glock felt in my hand, however that was never a determining factor in the choice to choose it.

Now, after years of use, it feels very natural and intuitive. I love the short grip too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts