Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I had made up my mind to keep it on my bucketlist but then springfield had to ruin everything by saying if I bought it before jun 1st that I'd get 4 free mags and other goodies I'll never use. I had a buddy with an FFL get me one for about $100 less than anyone else in town so I figure I'm 2-0 on getting good deals in the 1911 department. the trigger is about a pound heavier than the Range Officer 45 full size I own, but just like the full size it breaks like glass. I took it out today and put 100 rounds of UMC FMJs through it with no issues. I think after another couple hundred and some hollowpoints that it'll be replacing my XD-S 9mm 4" as my primary carry. it hits a fair bit high, about 1 inch high at 5 yards, about 8 inches high at 25, and unfortunately does not have elevation adjustable sites like the full size. regardless, as long as I have a decent idea of holdunder, I should be in pretty good shape.
the culprit

50 rounds from a modified Navy handgun battery.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What grain bullet did you shoot today? If you can try some lighter-fastet pills. They may shoot closer to point of aim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If all else fails you can also get a taller front sight.

Congrats on the new gun by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they were standard UMC 115gr... doesn't get much lighter, but they probably are a bit on the anemic side. I normally try and stay away from anything not made by vista but I got a good deal on this stuff a few years back and decided to stop hoarding it in favor of stockpiling other junk.

·
Registered
642 Posts
How about hiding a couple of snap caps in the magazine to check for anticipation?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDIT: original claims retracted. I don't anticipate recoil, especially with 9mms... I'll leave it at that.

·
Super Moderator
19,880 Posts
Try some carry ammo in that gun - you may find the POI comes in nicely. If it's really way off, SA will swap out the front sight for you on their dime.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like I said it's not a huge issue for me, it just means I have to adopt a 6 oclock hold instead of a center hold. at self defense distances, the difference is pretty negligible. at combat distances, I'll probably be wanting a different firearm altogether anyway. I'll see how it does with the SD ammo, if it gets worse with the SD ammo, I'll send out feelers to springfield, but right now, the precision is excellent, even if I'm still figuring out the accuracy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was looking at this exact pistol. On the 1911 forum everyone complained that the sights were set for the 6 O'clock hold from the factory. Most people sent their pistols back to Springfield for the different front sight

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at this exact pistol. On the 1911 forum everyone complained that the sights were set for the 6 O'clock hold from the factory. Most people sent their pistols back to Springfield for the different front sight
Same here, my EMP4 POI was 8" high at 15yds. Sent it back to SA (took 6 weeks), return slip indicated barrel lock up and new rear sight. Shoots POA/POI now. They will correct it no charge. Common complaint, otherwise a great soft shooting 1911.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts