Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife gave me $200 to put towards a new gun looking at a Springfield XD 45 service model does anyone have any experience with these looking to use it for an everyday carry any input would be very much appreciate not so much a concealed carry mabe undercover shirt outside the waistband

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love my XD-40 service model. It has been extremely reliable, eats every single type of ammo that I have run through it and has NEVER had a failure of any kind. It just works. It is a little big for concealed carry in my opinion (for me anyways), I keep mine in the night stand for home defense duty but would not hesitate to carry it like you described as I know it would work when I needed it to.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't personally own one, but I've got a cousin that has one. It's a sweet shooting, accurate pistol, and easy to take down and clean. As far as concealed carry, I think the high ride owb with an overshirt would be your best bet, because it is a thick pistol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a XD service 9mm and sold it for a Glock 19. Functionally it was a great gun but I decided I wasn't a fan of the grip safety on a carry gun.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The pistol points well, is reliable, accurate and a respectable magazine capacity to boot. It will serve you well. The pistol is also attractive for the price as well. Feeding it is a different story.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Wife gave me $200 to put towards a new gun looking at a Springfield XD 45 service model does anyone have any experience with these looking to use it for an everyday carry any input would be very much appreciate not so much a concealed carry mabe undercover shirt outside the waistband

XD's are good to go. I own two, and never had any issues. The service models are a great deal compared to the prices of the competition, and have been around for years now. When I carried my XD service 9mm OWB under my shirt, the butt of the pistol could sometimes be seen which is something you might want to watch out for unless you wear extra long shirts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the XDM 3.8c .45 and I love it, it's relatively easy to conceal and it's a whole hell of alot of fun to shoot.
put the fullsized grip on it and I can shoot it at the range all day.
I carry it IWB and OWB (StealthGear), it's a little heavy compared to my shield 9 but I'm 6 foot 210.....not really a big deal.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

I have 2 XD guns, a Service and Subcompact, both in .40. I like them just fine.

A service sized XD45 is going to be big. At the time they got the most rounds of anyone in the magazine. I don't know if anyone out there has more capacity.

(There is a fraction of the Internet gun enthusiast community that has an absolute loathing for the XD.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I pulled the trigger

Bought a new Springfield Armory XD45 service mod. today 2 13 around mags. and bought an extra one,box of 20 185grain XTP $530.00 -200.00 the wife gave me for Christmas. Stopped at Walmart and bought a box of Winchester 230 grain practice ammo just had to tried it out,when I got home cleaned it lubed it a little, Boy don't they run smoooooth love that trigger I'm used to this double action Striker fire on my SD 9 but this is way better. All smiles and permanent grin.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What a great gift curly84, wish my wife thought along those lines. :yup: Happy to hear that you are so pleased after your first outing with your new XD45. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

Owned one, carried it for six or seven years, then sold it. Loved it. Reliable, accurate and good looking pistol. It was just too damn heavy with 14 rounds of .45acp in it. It would drag my britches off without a good tight belt at all times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great choice! My edc is an XDm 3.8" subcompact (9mm) and it's big brother (XD 5" "tactical" .45acp) is my nightstand gun.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I have the 45 Compact version for a nightstand gun with a Streamlight TRL-1 mounted on it. I love shooting that gun. Accurate, easy to control and extremely accurate.

Congrats!!!!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Been having a XD Tactical .45 for years. I love it. Great shooter, super reliable, and accurate. It's the only XD I ever had and I am very satisfied with it! Congratulations, I think you made a great choice. BTW I love the grip safety!!!

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
I have four XD's:

XD 45 Compact from 2007-ish
XDm 45 Compact
XD Mod 2.0 45 Compact
XDS 45 3.3

I love them all. Personally, I would go with a compact version. You can always use the magazine with extension if you want it to be more of a "service" model. It's the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Great gun.- super accurate and reliable. I hate the grip safety. My wife loves it. My hand never lines up correct and I always have to consciously check my grip. Her hand lines up perfectly every time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts