Defensive Carry banner

Do you feel the XD9SC is too thick to carry?

• NO. With the right belt/holster it is comfortable and would make a fine CCW

Votes: 64 90.1%
  • YES. Even with a good belt/holster it is too thick and uncomfortable to carry

Votes: 7 9.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the XD9SC but I am concerned that it is too big to carry comfotably IWB due to its thickness so I wanted to get your opinion if you think its comfortable and no issue as long as you have the right holster and belt. I would use the crossbreed Supertuck and a good belt if I did get it. SO please vote and let me know how you feel.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I carry one (a .40 but it's the same difference) all the time and it's fine for me. I carry both IWB and OWB with a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro and I also own a Kholster for IWB carry. I will freely admit that I prefer OWB when I can wear a hoodie or something else that helps the extra printing that occurs, but in the warmer weather, I carry almost exclusively IWB and it's not really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have a sub compact XD9 that I regularly carried IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and my girlfriend owns one now. With the right clothing it was always comfortable and easy to conceal. I did run into problems with it printing during the summer when it was 90 to 110 degrees outside and I was wearing a tshirt and shorts. I am 5' 11" and 170lbs. It didn't print HORRIBLY, but it was enough that I became uncomfortable with it.
I think if I would have worn looser shirts it wouldn't have printed much, but I would rather have a gun that fits the way I dress than buy new new clothes to fit around my gun. So instead of changing the way I dressed or buying larger shirts, I traded the XD in for a Walther PPS so I could carry the same gun all year without worrying about printing. I have been very happy with it. It is much thinner, but that is at the expense of having less ammunition to work with. Whether the XD will work for you as a CCW just depends on your size, the way you dress, how comfortable you are with it, and how you decide to carry it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I carry a Springfield XDM in .40, which is larger than your considered carry, IWB with a Supertuck. As long as I have a good belt on that can support the weight, I never have any problems. I'm 5'11, 160lbs. Unless I am wearing a really tight brand, my normal medium clothes conceal it just fine. The thickness has never really been much of an issue for me.

I never find myself wearing just a plain t-shirt though, in the summer I always have at least a polo on. Always very comfortable though, I love that holster.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Since it's all about personal preference and what you believe in what is comfortable or not, it's gonna be your decision to make.

I have an XD9sc which I carry as a primary weapon in a Brommeland Max-Con IWB which I can wear and conceal so comfortably for 18 hours a day, I don't even know it's there.

I also carry it OWB as a BUG and again, it is concealed nicely and is very comfortable.

Lastly, in the summer time, I can also pocket carry the XD9sc in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster wearing shorts or Khaki trousers and while there is a "bulge" when I sit, it does not reveal itself as anything other than a wallet carried in the front pocket. It is however a little large to pocket carry in a pair of denim jeans. I can get it in the pocket just fine, and the "bulge" looks just like a wallet, however you can't draw the gun for use from a pair of jeans without a totally unacceptable waste of time.

A little common sense is going to have to prevail at some point. You are not going to be able to take a hi-capacity semi-auto with a capacity of 10 - 16 rounds, wear a pair of speedo swim trunks and expect it to be invisible. However for me, I have no problem carrying concealed and comfortably an XD9sc or even a G-23, or a .45 Colt Officers model.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I carry the XD sub 9, occasionally, in a SuperTuck. No problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a Springfield XDM in .40, which is larger than your considered carry, IWB with a Supertuck. As long as I have a good belt on that can support the weight, I never have any problems. I'm 5'11, 160lbs. Unless I am wearing a really tight brand, my normal medium clothes conceal it just fine. The thickness has never really been much of an issue for me.

I never find myself wearing just a plain t-shirt though, in the summer I always have at least a polo on. Always very comfortable though, I love that holster.
Whenever I wore a polo shirt it was covered really well too. The only time I ever had issues with it printing was when I wore light weight t-shirts that weren't a little bit baggy. It just comes down to the way you dress and how comfortable you are. Even with the t-shirt it wasn't obvious there was a gun on me. There was just a bulge that I could see. I doubt many people would have really noticed it or realized that it was a gun, but I still wasn't happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I carry one with a super tuck all the time, but honestly I would not ask that question on this forum. While there are some very honest and intelligent members (You will soon figure out who know's what they are talking about). Other members tend to give poor advice, as I have brought this up several times with regards to CC.

You will get the classic "I carry a 6 inch barreled 1911 all day and do summersaults in front of everyone at Walmart post." This will be backed up by the "I am 7 foot tall and 400.lbs, so I can easily conceal a Barrett 50. cal no problem at all" post as well.

In all seriousness, I think you are on the right track. Thickness and and grip length are the most important followed by weight.

·
Registered
361 Posts
XD9sc for CCW

I have carried the XD9sc in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. Several months ago I developed hives and sensitive skin when wearing IWB holsters. for a short time I carried a P32 only in my front pocket. I have switched to belt holsters and currently carry the XD9sc in a Don Hume open top pancake holster. So I am learning to dress around the pistol worn on a belt and on the lookout for other good belt holsters. Two pistols I like the most are Browning HP and the XD9sc. The P32 is now an always backup. Of course this is easer in colder weather.

-- Richard

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really like the XD9SC but I am concerned that it is too big to carry comfotably IWB due to its thickness so I wanted to get your opinion if you think its comfortable and no issue as long as you have the right holster and belt. I would use the crossbreed Supertuck and a good belt if I did get it. SO please vote and let me know how you feel.
Get the Blackhawk Serpa holster and carry it OWB. I carry my XD in 45 with the 5 inch barrel that way and it's all day comfortable. But in order to make it comfortable you will also need a good gun belt. I use the Beltman Bullhide belt with plastic insert in it. If your a real skinny guy you may not need the insert but even though they told me I didn't need the insert I got it anyway and glad I did (I'm a 36 waist). Then all you have to do is wear a regular t shirt tucked in and an outer garmet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My EDC is a XD9SC. I wear it at 3 oclock with a OWB "slide" from Sidegaurd Holsters. This gun has a short grip. With the right holster, it conceals rather easy. I personally dont carry Iwb, so I cannot speak of how it carries this way.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I carried a XDsc40 in a UBG Canute for a while before I sold it to buy another Sig. Still have the XD40 4" service that I can carry in the canute if needed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I carry my 9sc in a Brommeland Max Con V IWB holster as well, it is the best IWB I have ever used - by a large margin. Many people talk about super tucks and other that I have not tried so YMMV.

As for a carry gun, I like the XD9sc very much, I have big mitts and find most sub compacts like Glocks to small to hang onto in the grip department. My PM9 is easy to wear OWB with two extra mags and I assume guns such as the PPS would be great also. But in the end its about what fits and shoots well for you. I can't get a PPS in california, and I don't care for the trigger guard mag release, but it looks like a good alternative if thin is what you want.

Ultimately, you need a cover garment for everything so don't get too caught up in getting something so small that it becomes less gun than you want.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have no problem with carrying my XD SC 40 in a pocket carry holster.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i actually carry mine in the XD paddle holster.. and actually like it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I carried an XD40SC in a Supertuck for a year and a half, and still do occasionally. The thickness and weight are not a problem. You might have to "adjust" a little to accommodate the gun (blousing your shirt a little more if it is tucked in, being aware of not bending over, etc...) as opposed to some of the "slimmer" models, but it is nothing out of the realm of reasonable expectations.

Both are good products and make a great combo for concealed carry. As in all things, you might find this isn't the case for you. If so, find what works well for you.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It's my EDC. I can carry in front of a whole congregation without being detected (even the folks whop know I'm carrying, can't figure out where it's at).

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
My EDC is teh XD40SC and I've carried it IWB (tucked an untucked) in a custom holster from Little Bear. I also carry it OWB with that rig.

For Christmas I got myself a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster and I'm carrying it that way right now. I usually carry it with the extended mag with no problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts