Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed but I need some opinions. I have a friend who wants to trade me his Springfield Champion Operator for my XDM compact. I have a Springfield loaded 1911 and I love it, I also love my XDM for carry. I just want some opinions on which is a better carry gun, I really like the feel and shooting of the operator(I mean you can't go wrong with a 1911) but the compactness and shooting of my xdm is great also. So what would you go with the Champion Operator or the XDM compact?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Go with your gut, whatever that means to you. I LOVE 1911's, but I always find myself migrating to smaller plastic fantastics when the weather gets hot. The Operator is the "better" gun, but not for carry IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator and an XDm 3.8 compact 9mm. The 9mm is a little smaller than the .45 in the XDm, but it's still very comparable. With that being said, go with the XDm. The XDm is already a heavy gun and that operator is going to be even heavier. The XDm is my nightstand gun and the operator spends most days in the safe, the XDm is a great mix of ergos, compactness, and capacity. I really think you can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Kinda like apples and oranges. I shoot my 1911's slightly better than plastic (H&K) BUT I like the lighter weight, better capacity, and my personal taste. I do not want a safety on my EDC. Not saying it is not a good choice just not for me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I waited for over 6 years with a list of features and options that I wanted in "the perfect handgun for my purposes".
accurate
reliable
light
small
high capacity .45 ACP
highly efficient sighting at all light levels
just the trigger, no "extra" switches or controls
ability to carry highly concealed and comfortably 24/7

Finally, Springfield came out with the XDm 3.8 .45 which would accept the Crimson Trace LaserGuard and XS Big Dot sights.

This system is everything I wanted.

As you might imagine I'm kind of biased -- but I say get the XD!

Bobo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts