Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided I will not order or purchase anything from Spyderco anymore. I wanted one of their autonomy blades but since they won’t sell direct what’s the point of their OpFocus program? I even contacted them and the response was this.

Hello from Golden, CO.,

Thank you for interest in Spyderco Automatic knives. Although legal in many states, automatics are still restricted by the Federal Government and Spyderco does follow Federal Law.

I noticed that in your Opfocus Account you are registered as a veteran and as the manufacturer we only sell to qualified, duty-bound personnel. With that said, if you have a different status than what you have registered we can have that changed to allow you to purchase directly through us.

Please reach out if you have any further questions. My number is listed below.

Regards,
--

Benchmade is smart in the sense that they pass the responsibility to the consumer. They are losing profits. The veteran program gives a bigger discount than I can get through any of the other sellers but if I can’t purchase the knife I want then what is the purpose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
The veteran program gives a bigger discount than I can get through any of the other sellers but if I can’t purchase the knife I want then what is the purpose?
Are you able to take advantage of the program if you buy the knife over the counter locally?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
How much of a price difference is there if you buy from a seller other than direct from Spyderco?

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
I would never buy from Benchmade after their willing collaboration with gun grabbers in Oregon City. They obviously don't understand the people in their market.

I don't fault Spyderco for following the law and trying to stay out of trouble. I spend what I need to to have decent knives. It is not a big line item in my budget.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I appreciate that they are following the law - in a state that supports "sanctuary status" in many areas.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would never buy from Benchmade after their willing collaboration with gun grabbers in Oregon City. They obviously don't understand the people in their market.

I don't fault Spyderco for following the law and trying to stay out of trouble. I spend what I need to to have decent knives. It is not a big line item in my budget.
I don’t see it that way. The way I see it is if I have the right and they have the ability but they choose to follow the federal law being more restrictive because of a law from some stupid movie then I don’t support them. I could see it if the law was for good reason but it’s not. I think what benchmade did was wrong yes, but they tried to correct it just like every other gun manufacturer basically has done over the years. Same people mad at benchmade are mad at yeti. I don’t care much for Spyderco to begin with but the autonomy I did like and thought it was a cool knife. They don’t want to sell it unless you are active duty so piss on them. At least benchmade allows me the option to purchase their automatics.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate that they are following the law - in a state that supports "sanctuary status" in many areas.
I don’t see how following a dumb law is appreciated but to each their own.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
So today I decided I will not order or purchase anything from Spyderco anymore. I wanted one of their autonomy blades but since they won’t sell direct what’s the point of their OpFocus program? I even contacted them and the response was this.

Hello from Golden, CO.,

Thank you for interest in Spyderco Automatic knives. Although legal in many states, automatics are still restricted by the Federal Government and Spyderco does follow Federal Law.

I noticed that in your Opfocus Account you are registered as a veteran and as the manufacturer we only sell to qualified, duty-bound personnel. With that said, if you have a different status than what you have registered we can have that changed to allow you to purchase directly through us.

Please reach out if you have any further questions. My number is listed below.

Regards,
--

Benchmade is smart in the sense that they pass the responsibility to the consumer. They are losing profits. The veteran program gives a bigger discount than I can get through any of the other sellers but if I can’t purchase the knife I want then what is the purpose?

I'm not trying to take up for Spyderco but I think they got themselves in to some hot water a few years back with their auto knives. I can't remember the details but I bet if you searched around some of the blade forums, you could get some answers.

As for Benchmade, I don't care for some of their politics but I like their knives. I EDC a Benchmade auto Presidio and it is one rugged knife. The Axis lock is strong and the blade holds a good edge. IMO, it is a better knife than the Spyderco.

Have you thought about a Microtech auto? They do offer a Service Personnel Program if you sign up using your credentials. I am sure they include retired veterans but may also include veterans. I have a price list for the available models that was current as of January 2020. I had planned to order a "LEO" Blue Ultratech a few months back but put it on hold until the fall. If you have ever handled a Microtech they are sweet and the Service Personnel Program is darn good. Below is the link to sign up. It does take some time to get things set up but the prices are great. I'm pretty sure they build the knives after you place the order.

Microtech Service Personnel

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do you get to choose the laws you like and only abide by those (if any)? They didn't create the "dumb law" they are complying with it. Antifa and the "protesters" comply only with the laws they favor. Hows that working out for us all? To each their own indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts