Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
May be worth a try. Since I use an Otis kit for cleaning, I already use the pull through cleaning method with their flex cables instead of rigid push rods.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I picked up some recently, I have not been to the range sine but will post when I do give them a try.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've used Patchworm kits for years, with great results. Not bulky, can't abrade the bore or crown, cheap, and does all calibers with each kit.

Shooting accessories

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Interesting. I use bore snakes for quick cleaning of my barrels at the range or in situations where thorough cleaning is not possible or practical, but this looks like a system that could do basically the same thing.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Bore Snakes. Especially for the shotgun and 22. Semis that you don't want to fully breakdown every time.

Especially easy to pack in a plastic bag for humping the ground of the back country.

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
Cleaning rod and patch has always worked. The problem with cleaning rods stems from the military using steel rods and religiously spit-shining the bore until the rifling was damaged.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I think there was a thread on them earlier - IIRC, they tend to get ripped up in fairly short order.

That Patchworm looks really cool

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
So, so. For a rifle or pistol they are a pain in the arse. Stick with the bore snakes for light everyday cleaning.

I do like them for my double barrel shotguns as it really cuts down on using patches after scrubbing the bore.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I just bought one of the full kits with the range bag and cleaning mat.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Did a full strip and clean on my mk 111 today I usually just run the bore snake thru it a couple of times. I was shocked at how much lead I got out. Guess I will have to be a little more diligent with the bore brush.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am super cheap. I have an m16 steel rod milsurp kit someone gave me. I buy boresnakes because they are cheap and fit anywhere. I keep one in the handle of my ar, rangebag. etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used Patchworm kits for years, with great results. Not bulky, can't abrade the bore or crown, cheap, and does all calibers with each kit.

Shooting accessories
I got a Boresnake for my .270 a long time ago, and found I really didn't like it -- it's just plain to hard to pull through. I now have a Patchworm that seems just about ideal; several pulls wet and dry alternating and the barrel seems squeaky clean, without the sense that this just might be the time the snake was going to break. Only mistake I made getting the Patchworm was I got the pistol kit and a long "rod"; didn't realize until to late that you need to get the long gun kit to get a 12ga button.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Cleaning rod and patch has always worked. The problem with cleaning rods stems from the military using steel rods and religiously spit-shining the bore until the rifling was damaged.
True, but I use a brass rod , instead steel for cleaning my pistols. Still take care when you do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts