Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like Rugers for the dependability & reliability. I don't like the bulky look & feel of them, though. I was hoping that this new one would be lighter, but it is still over 20oz., unloaded.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
While I am by no means a fan of Ruger rifles, I do like their pistols. This one looks like a winner and I am sure they will sell well. I think the ability to use full size mags is a big plus too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I already have a full size SR9 and love it, I may buy a SR9c when funds allow because it would be easier to conceal and I could use the full size mags and holsters with it

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was hoping for something smaller along the line of a Kahr PM9. That said in any case, based on past performance, I would wait for the first recall before buying.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I like Rugers for the dependability & reliability. I don't like the bulky look & feel of them, though. I was hoping that this new one would be lighter, but it is still over 20oz., unloaded.
It's a ruger, what did you expect?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think this is their attempt to get some of the XD9sc market, as they are packaging it just like the XD9sc. It will cost a little less than the XD, but I think you get what you pay for. I think the quality of materials on it are good, the fit is good. The triggers on all the full size SR9 I've tried are poor. It does have sights that are a little better than XDs IMO. What the XD has over it is size, capacity, grip safety, and internal extractor...oh and no recall on the books. Finding holsters for it will be a little more difficult. My 2 bits.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Wish they would forget that stuff, and go make an LCP sized 9...You think the LCP craze was bad...they would be lined around the block to buy a 9mm version.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Agreed, Jwhite. They made something that is already out there and not really better than what was already available. The reason the LCP was/is a hit is that it is better than the KelTec. In my opinion this isn't any improvement, and I feel the XD9sc or a 26 are better in certain regards.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I think it'll be a hit with Ruger fans... It's the basically the same size as a G19, so it's not that small... I agree that if one of the major mfg. would make a single stack 9mm or .40 the size of the Kahr's or the PF9, it would be a big hit...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with NTG.... it looks like they took some ideas from the XD9SC. I wish they would make a single stack 45 compact SR9.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This Ruger pistol is going to be in the same "ball park" as the Springfield Armory XD9Sc, the Glock 26, CZ RAMI, etc. and it is a pretty doggone competetive niche. Whether or not the new Ruger is competetive will depend on whether or not is has to suffer a recall, and how, in general, the shooters in the niche accept it. I have an XD9Sc and it will provide stiff competition indeed.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I think it'll be a hit with Ruger fans... It's the basically the same size as a G19, so it's not that small... I agree that if one of the major mfg. would make a single stack 9mm or .40 the size of the Kahr's or the PF9, it would be a big hit...
Glock is standing right in the crossroads of progress, and from what I am hearing the reasons they dont introduce and change new stuff, is Gaston is a stubborn old goat. If it was up to him they would make one gun, the 17. They would have more orders than they could make with a subcompact single stack...:aargh4:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
One does, it's called a Walther PPS and it is an absolutely outstanding handgun. :bier:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The PPS is a fine handgun...but it is its own propietary system, and manual of arms. I have even considered purchasing one for myself, and may still end up purchasing one for my soon to be wife. If you can run and operate a Glock you can run and operate ALL Glocks. They all have the same basic parts and all work the same way. The PPS has no big brother that operates EXACTLY as it does. On a Glock the mag release, take down lever etc. all are in the same place. So when youdownsize you are basically getting the same gun. Kind of like a Sig 226 to 228/9 to 239. Each operates likes its bigger sibling and makes transition to the smaller much easier. The PPS has the P99, but the controls and basic operating systems are different and don't become second nature "in the blind" on the PPS. Hence the need for a single stack baby Glock.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
The SR9c sounds interesting...I'd like to see one and handle it for feel. I've got a P95 which I like, I've always liked Ruger products (including the SR9), but my purchase of a Taurus PT709 has filled my need for a very small and thin 9mm. 500 flawless rounds and very accurate. I would have preferred a Ruger, but they were a day late and a dollar short...and this sounds like it will still not quite reach the same level of the true compact 9s. I'll be interested to see them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i figured they were just going to rip off the PF9. :rolleyes:
Actually, that's what they should have done. A PF-9 with better materials would be right up my alley. I have no use for this new offering. I don't need ugly loaded chamber flags sticking up, manual safeties or magazine disconnects to keep me from shooting a toe off.

I like guns designed by someone other than a lawyer.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Actually, that's what they should have done. A PF-9 with better materials would be right up my alley. I have no use for this new offering. I don't need ugly loaded chamber flags sticking up, manual safeties or magazine disconnects to keep me from shooting a toe off.

I like guns designed by someone other than a lawyer.
I too hoped that they would be copying the PF9. I want a reliable pocket 9 and the SR9c doesn't look to be small enough for pocket carry.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts