Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at all the threads I noticed the Ruger SR9c isnt mentioned much. I actually own one and think its a great handgun, especially for the price. Is it because of the take down? Which is more like a 1911 and is a bit more complicated than some of the newer polymers. Is it because there are just a lot more choices now? Just curious, nothing else. I love the SR9c. I shoot it more accurately than any handgun I have owned, including Walther PPS, Kahr CM9, Tristar T100 (very close to the SR9c in accuracy) and the CZ-P07.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I shot a friend SR9c and it was accurate and a joy to shoot. That was my experience.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I guess some guys can only spell GLOCK!!!!!!! I have a SR9c and love it. In fact its the only auto I own! ( unless you count my Keltec P32 as an auto!) My other guns are all revolvers,SP101-357,LCR-357,and two S&W. an old 50's model 36 that was my fathers and a 1948 K frame with a 5" barrel that was my father-in- laws.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My father owns an SR40c and it is what my stepsister qualified with at our MN CCW course (we took a three state class). She had shot it only on one prior occasion and before that she had never fired a handgun. She out-shot everybody, myself included (w/ my SP101). I would imagine that the SR9c points and puts holes just as naturally as that SR40c.

I think the SR platform in general is far overlooked, though with as many autos as there are on the market I can certainly see why. It comes with what many consider an obnoxious amount of safety features. The chamber indicator and magazine safety are a bit too much IMO, but both can be done away with if one clicks around on Youtube. As of right now, I prefer a manual safety on an auto. I intend on getting an SR40c this year if work and school are good to me.

When a friend asks me about what I'd recommend for a first handgun, an SR9E or SR9c is usually my answer. A couple of my friends have no interest in EDC but would like a truck/house gun and that's where I recommend the 9E.

We are a Ruger family and almost every handgun between my father and I is a Ruger. Only one that ain't is my Shield.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Folks that got 'em sure seem to like 'em !!!!!

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Folks that got 'em sure seem to like 'em !!!!!
The same can be said for every brand. :danceban:

I have nothing bad to say about the SR9, nor do I have anything good to say. I have "tried one on" in the gun shop, and I will simply say that it didn't inspire the same feeling of confidence in it's construction that my current carry pistols do. That is a purely subjective impression, and it is worth exactly 25% of what you paid for it. :)

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
My SR9c is my primary EDC (LC9s is secondary) and I think it's a great pistol. Not sure what the OP means about takedown though. It seems pretty straightforward to me, and certainly easier than my LC9s or my previous P938.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
The SR 9C is what I consider to be one of Rugers best semi automatics.

You will find that too many people turn off their noses at them for two reasons.
1) The pop up LCI
2) The magazine safety disconnect.

And some folks just refuse to have a safety on their carry weapon.

LCI does not bother me, it can be removed and replaced with a blank.
The mag disconnect it's also very easy to remove, if you so desire.

It is my 9 mm Of choice.
The only thing I dislike about it is the cost of magazines.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

I have nothing bad to say about the SR9, nor do I have anything good to say. I have "tried one on" in the gun shop, and I will simply say that it didn't inspire the same feeling of confidence in it's construction that my current carry pistols do. That is a purely subjective impression, and it is worth exactly 25% of what you paid for it. :)
Gotta disagree. I've had plenty I didn't like. Still got a few I ain't too crazy about !!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I have had one for 3-4 years, very accurate and fun to shoot. 18 rounds in a medium size gun, reliable and good sights. For me, with night sights it would be outstanding. The SR9c and SR1911 are the only two handguns larger than the P238 my wife enjoys shooting.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Can't speak for the C but have the SR9 and love it. Use it for my carry during the colder months.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the major issue is that they tend to suffer from light strikes. they are very accurate, and extremely reliable, unless you don't seat the magazine firmly enough. when I first bought my SR9C, I tried shooting 25 rounds of no name reman ammo out of it, and suffered about 15 light strikes. I took it back in the house, watched a youtube video and removed the magout safety, ever since then I've had thousands of trouble free round out of it with every kind of ammo on every point on the junk/quality spectrum. some people don't like the idea of removing safety devices, other's don't like buying guns that might require some work out of the box. ever since that first instance, I've removed the magout safety on every SR series handgun I've owned(up to 3) as soon as I get them home.
I firmly believe that if Ruger revamped the SR series to get rid of the magout safety and a little bit better of a backstrap system, it would do much better than the originals. but it looks like instead they are just going to keep working with the american series which I am not so in love with.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

I'm not too good at math, wsquared - what 25% of nuthin' ??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The only experience I have with the SR9c is from when I was looking for my first striker-fired gun. The SR9c was nice and I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned more, but for me, the MP9c just shot better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My SR9c is my primary EDC (LC9s is secondary) and I think it's a great pistol. Not sure what the OP means about takedown though. It seems pretty straightforward to me, and certainly easier than my LC9s or my previous P938.
A removable pin with the SR9c vs takedown levers that stay in place. Its not a big deal for me, but some people may prefer not having to remove a part.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bought (legal private sale) a SR9c because a guy was selling it at a good price, as an 'off the books' gun when it sure looked like Hillary was going to be president.

Finally got it out to shoot and fell in love with it. First mag and I put all 17 rounds in a 3" circle at 25'. Sweet trigger, good sights, and it is now in my carry rotation.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Looking at all the threads I noticed the Ruger SR9c isnt mentioned much. I actually own one and think its a great handgun, especially for the price. Is it because of the take down? Which is more like a 1911 and is a bit more complicated than some of the newer polymers. Is it because there are just a lot more choices now? Just curious, nothing else. I love the SR9c. I shoot it more accurately than any handgun I have owned, including Walther PPS, Kahr CM9, Tristar T100 (very close to the SR9c in accuracy) and the CZ-P07.
I think the main reason they don't get more attention isn't because there's anything "wrong" with them but only because they aren't the latest "buzz" around town.

And because they aren't Glocks.

One of the main reasons I didn't grab one was the grip just didn't fit my hand quite right.

I've never heard anything but praise for them, what great triggers they have, and how accurate they are, and generally, a joy to shoot.

But like the old Springfield XD, they're "yesterday's news", therefore no buzz.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts