Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread could go any number of places, but I will put it here because of the claimed technology. You'll need to read the article to begin to understand what is claimed. I don't understand all of it because there is a lot of vague information, probably due in part to a journalist who doesn't understand what the weapon is and how it works. Worth a read because it is pretty radically different. They definitely don't have all the kinks worked out but the concept is interesting.

Reactions: OldChap and NavCop

·
Registered
202 Posts
How long before there’s an app for that? And then, will apple want it’s 30%?

It shoots steel powder held together by magnets, using compressed air. That sounds clever. The parts about fingerprints means it is software controlled. So, google will get involved.

Platform, to me, suggests mounting on drones. So, move the fingerprint scanner off the weapon and onto the joystick.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
My thoughts:
  • From time to time, some inventor or dreamer will come up with something that will replace regular firearms. Let's see, there was the TASER, which turned out to be useful, but not a replacement, that pepper ball gun that went nowhere, "smart" guns which seems to be part of this device. Why aren't police departments just clamoring for these things?
  • One thing that makes me suspicious is when inventors claim they have to hide their identity, can't say much and can't answer questions because of "security concerns." I was OPSEC trained in the Navy and held a TS/SA clearance for a long time and marketed military technology as a civilian. You either don't say anything about something like this, or if you decide to go public, you reveal everything but the hard numbers about capabilities and the granular details of how it works. You don't dance around it and hide your name like this guy does.
  • The only article I can find about this online is the one in the OP. The freakin' St. George local paper! Not Military.com, not DefenseNews, not PoliceOne. How's that for credibility?
  • To me the provenance of "the determined inventor, inspired by his friend's death" does not give me a warm and fuzzy. Show me someone with a track record of developing stuff like this.
  • Why would any soldier, SpecOps, SWAT operator or nuclear facility security guard want this? If I am up against those kind of threats, I want to be able to burn some serious powder!
I think this guy is trying to get more funding for something that is smoke and mirrors. It is a common scam.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Vaporware. Starts off with buddy getting shot armor failure wanders off into the weeds raging against greedy corporations lays out a wonder weapon that can do it all with the commercial version only 1 million per unit then somehow comes back to platform armor that has nothing to do with personal armor. Vaporware in search of dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
What happened to ZHeus 1 and ZHeus 2 I wonder? Website wants me to disable ad blocker - no. No other info available from anywhere?? I'm inclined to believe this is science-less fiction.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
@G26Raven I couldn't read the site...they don't like ad blockers.

I did an extensive internet search and found exactly nothing about such a device. If it went "public" it didn't go very public. If it is "revolutionary" and has been used in a military application, it should show up somewhere. Your link seems to be about it.

A thought comes to mind.

The world is full of snake oil salesmen...even after 150 years or more. I read about a company who claimed to be designing and building a direct to orbit spacecraft that would "revolutionize space travel". They got millions of dollars in grants, tax break concessions, and raised uncounted funds. Land was declared imminent domain and seized for a plant. Even got a municipal airport to change it's name from "International Airport" to "International Spaceport". Politicians made glowing speeches about all the tech jobs coming to the area. Then one morning...poof...gone with the wind. Money and all. To my knowledge, they still have not been apprehended.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
At its hyper-velocity range, ZHeus can fire in excess of 3,500 feet per second.
“Those are speeds that currently can only be achieved by ZHeus, which is classified, but not as classified as the bullet that makes it possible,” he said. “And that bullet could never go at any other speed in any other platform.”
Granted it uses gunpowder but my 220Swift launches a 52gr bullet at over 4100fps. The whole thing sounds like some dream with no hardware.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Part of my work while I was going to school was on rail guns and other exotic technologies. During R&D, we pushed a rather heavy projectile to speeds which would be described as "hypersonic" velocities, though I still am prevented from giving any specific details. That was back in the 1980's. Rail guns are going into service today with the Navy. Some of the other things went much, much faster.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Priced at $1 million, ZHeus 3 is not a gun; it’s a “platform” that has taken Harvester, a St. George-based inventor, 15 years to design. Harvester could not release his full name because he still has a commitment to national security.
B.S. meter pegged red....

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
If I'm reading it right, they're building armor into the weapon so that, when it explodes in the user's hands, it doesn't kill them. Sounds like it might need a little more time in the oven.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'll believe it when Nelson brings out a Kydex Holster for it priced at less than $250,000 a pop ( and guarantees that it won't explode when carried AIWB ).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want to know who performed the combat mission without a traditional weapon for backup. I find myself being suspicious.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
At $1million each any police department should be able to replace all their firearms. :ROFLMAO:

Lewis and Clark had an air-powered rifle that was quite potent. But the cost is rather steep. I'll stick to my Shield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts