Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be taking the family to the St Louis zoo in the coming weeks. Two questions.

1) is the zoo considered a "gated part of an amusement park" and therefore CC is banned?

2) If no to 1, is it posted with "no firearms allowed" signs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was just there, you are go to go. I looked everywhere for signs and never saw any. signs carry no weight in Missouri anyway.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If your state has such a "gated amusement park" prohibition in its weapons statutes, then it's fair to say that a spot where you pay for a ticket is just that (the "gated" portion). It's most certainly an amusement park.

A "No firearms allowed" sign's validity depends on whether such signage holds the force of law in your state, whether violation constitutes a crime, or whether you're merely held to be required to leave if separately asked to do so (or risk a trespass charge). Some would argue it's hard to say you've not been informed, already, given the signs. Your choice, presuming your state's signs don't hold the force of law.

* Obviously, I'm unfamiliar with MO's specific statutes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your state has such a "gated amusement park" prohibition in its weapons statutes, then it's fair to say that a spot where you pay for a ticket is just that (the "gated" portion). It's most certainly an amusement park.

A "No firearms allowed" sign's validity depends on whether such signage holds the force of law in your state, whether violation constitutes a crime, or whether you're merely held to be required to leave if separately asked to do so (or risk a trespass charge). Some would argue it's hard to say you've not been informed, already, given the signs. Your choice, presuming your state's signs don't hold the force of law.

* Obviously, I'm unfamiliar with MO's specific statutes.
admission is free to this zoo. I am from IL, but have my Utah permit, which is recognized by MO. Signs do not carry force of law in MO, but I do my best to avoid posted places.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
admission is free to this zoo. I am from IL, but have my Utah permit, which is recognized by MO. Signs do not carry force of law in MO, but I do my best to avoid posted places.
But, regarding the gate: If you can't get in at 2am, it's likely because of a gate. It's open when you're entering, sure, but it's still a gated area. What about that part? Non-issue, for CHL's, via specific exception ... or what?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I live just outside the city limits not far from the zoo and run in Forest Park frequently. As mentioned earlier admission is free and I don't recall seeing any gun buster signs so you should be ok to carry there if you have a permit recognized by Missouri.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But, regarding the gate: If you can't get in at 2am, it's likely because of a gate. It's open when you're entering, sure, but it's still a gated area. What about that part? Non-issue, for CHL's, via specific exception ... or what?
makes sense.

handgunlaw.us says...

Prohibited areas...

(13)
Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the
amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or
brandished while the vehicle is on the premises

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The St Louis Zoo is NOT an amusement park. Admission is free by City ordinance. Of course they make up for it by charging an exorbitant amount to park.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I carried there last year. I called the zoo and verified they are a private entity, not owned by the state.
I could find no information on their premises or website about the allowance of guns.

You can always call them and ask... (314) 781-0900

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Registered
363 Posts
makes sense.

handgunlaw.us says...

Prohibited areas...

(13)
Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the
amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or
brandished while the vehicle is on the premises
and afew lines down it says

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act

1 - 11 of 11 Posts