Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
Mas' "wedgie" puts my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, which forces that thumb close to the slide. It's a "corrective" I don't need, but it's worthwhile giving it a try.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I guess it's sort of a halfway point between index finger wrapped around the trigger guard and a traditional wrap around hold. In theory, as Mas demonstrates it should be a stable hold. My support hand with its Dupuytren's Contracture (Viking's Disease) seems to work against me using this hold to any advantage.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
My shots have been much more inconsistent of late than they used to be. Just holding a P238 at home, it feels more stable. I'm going to try it on the range. How it will work with my other guns remains to be seen, but this old dog definitely can use a new trick or two!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Given the man's expertise and reputation, it would be quite arrogant of me to not give this a good effort. I shall.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
I will have to give this a try--if I can remember it next time I go pistol shooting. But Mas' voice certainly can drone me to sleep if I don't make a conscious effort to pay attention.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
I will have to give this a try--if I can remember it next time I go pistol shooting. But Mas' voice certainly can drone me to sleep if I don't make a conscious effort to pay attention.
Maybe he was a history professor in a former life ?!?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Watched it. Tried it. Found it uncomfortable. I like and understand what Mas is demonstrating but I don't see it working for me.
Agree.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
It seems to me this is trying to correct for bad trigger technique. When I competed with the 1911, we shot one handed. That is the way to learn good trigger control. Then, if you want to go two handed, you don't need to worry about a corrective grip.

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
Maybe he was a history professor in a former life ?!?
He's very much like a history professor in the current day! About every third "Ayoob Files" in American Handgunner he analyzes historical gunfighters and gunfights, like the OK Corral shootout and the story of Elfego Baca.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
like how he flip flap one day from the other, finger on trigger guard is stupid and will throw your rounds to the left.

·
Premium Member
34,311 Posts
I will always consider everything he says about pistolcraft. The grip he describes in this vid doesn't work for me, but I did consider it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Tried it for chits and giggles (dryfire).
Uncomfortable for me. I suppose if I had started (learned) with this grip, and used it for the last 40 something years, then the one I use now would be uncomfortable.

I don't get all wrapped up around the axle on grip styles anyway. Just use whatever grip you are comfy with and use it consistently is my thoughts.

I wish I knew how to do the link thing like you guys, but I don't, so I just took a screen shot of this YouTube video I like by Adam Painchaud from the Sig Sauer Academy. You can Google it if you want, It's a good one regarding grip and stance, imo.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts