Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have narrowed my rifle choice down to a Savage Model 16FHSS and a 11FHNS. I was wondering what the pros and cons are to one over the other. Would the stainless barrel give me away to a whitetail easier than a blued barrel? Thank you all.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I prefer the stainless myself, it is just a better looking finish to me. As far as giving away your position, I wrapped mine with a camo gun wrap and never have any problems. When I get ready to remove it, I use acetone to remove any residual glue from the tape and then clean and oil the gun.

ETA: I am trying to post a few pictures of my sons Ruger Compact .308, but for some reason it is not letting me right now. when I get it to work, I will either add them to this post or a new post.

·
Registered
277 Posts
stainless is better then the blued barrel cuz it resists rust and corrosion and is great for very cold temps.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
And.... the bluing does not ware off.. :)

Most definately for me, SS

Best!

Craig

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I think I have made my decision. Savage Weather Warrior Model 16FHSS in 7mm-08 and a Nikon Monarch 4-15x50. Whole thing without tax is about $1100. The winchester model 70 extreme weather SS is $900 with no scope, ouch.

·
Super Moderator
19,548 Posts
When I get ready to remove it, I use acetone to remove any residual glue from the tape and then clean and oil the gun.
FYI, WD-40 works well for removing residual tape mastic, and it won't bugger up a nice wood finish or attach synthetics. (That's about the only thing I use it for - it sure isn't worth much as a lubricant.)

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
When I have a choice...definitely SS.:yup:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You've probably made your choice, so I'll just add my SS in there for S&Gs then.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
Just be advised that stainless steel used for guns isn't really stainless.

Most guns are 416 stainless which has a fair amount of carbon in it to make it heat treatable. While some stainless is not magnetic, this stuff is.

Be sure to wipe if off after you use it because if put up wet, it WILL rust, although it wont be as bad as carbon steel.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Stainless for go blued for show. As for as giving away your location a shiney blued barrel would be more reflective than a bead blasted stainless barrel. I think the popular view today is that deer depend on sent more than vision.

·
Super Moderator
19,548 Posts
Just be advised that stainless steel used for guns isn't really stainless.

Most guns are 416 stainless which has a fair amount of carbon in it to make it heat treatable. While some stainless is not magnetic, this stuff is.

Be sure to wipe if off after you use it because if put up wet, it WILL rust, although it wont be as bad as carbon steel.
For that matter, "stainless" as applied to alloy steels is a misnomer. In the engineering biz, we refer to these generically as "CRES" - for "corrosion resistant steel." Note - not corrosion proof.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For that matter, "stainless" as applied to alloy steels is a misnomer. In the engineering biz, we refer to these generically as "CRES" - for "corrosion resistant steel." Note - not corrosion proof.

But do they not stain less? :smile:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
SS gets my vote also, I've never had any issues hunting with SS.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
:redface: different take here....I actually prefer blued for long guns. It does wear/rub off with use over time and it will flash rust a lot faster than stainless but I think it looks better, especially when you start talking scopes.

It's only personal choice but I've never liked the looks of "silver" scopes. And putting a black scope on a stainless barrel doesn't look right to me unless it's a black synthetic stock, black scope and stainless barrel. That's a nice combination.

I just recently put a Marlin 1894C on layaway (.357) and agonized over stainless versus blued. Stainless costs more but that wasn't a problem. I actually like the stainless version but not as much with wood. In the end I stuck with the blued version. I know I'll have to wipe it down when I come home and never leave it in a case but that's the same thing I've always done.

Now on handguns I like the stainless much better so I guess for me it's all about asthetics and you know what they say about beauty!

Anyway, your gun sounds like it's going to be georgeous!

Gideon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts