Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking out the front window while waiting for the sales person to try and resurrect my fried SIM card, I spot on the glass next to the front door the dreaded "No Firearms" sign.

Of course I have my Sig warmly and securely concealed at 4 o'clock and do a little smile inside...

I look at the staff working and considering a Q&A about firearms, one woman is standing behind the counter obliviously texting, another is on the phone (kinda sounded like a personal call, but who was listening...) and the most geeky guy was helping me. None of the name tags said that they were a manager, so I am having an internal debate: do I ask for the manager or be confrontive some way else.

I decided to actually send a letter today to the manager of the ATT store. I do not believe that it is a ATT policy but I will find out and let you know! BTW, does anyone have a good letter that they would like to share, one that is concise but with a good punch?

Bill

ps: Today's Tip of the Day: Make sure that your phone numbers are saved to your phone and not your SIM card!!! I have to re-enter all of mine - a real PITA!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Does the sign hold any legal water in Ky?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, I hope one of the 'legal eagles' will chime in on that subject!

Bill

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always thought if there was no statue listed on the sign (i.e. 123.456) then it was only a preference, and all they could do was ask you to leave if they somehow found out you were carrying. Is this right?

·
Registered
571 Posts
A few points...

I look at the staff working and considering a Q&A about firearms, one woman is standing behind the counter obliviously texting, another is on the phone (kinda sounded like a personal call, but who was listening...)
That's pretty unprofessional, right off the bat.

I decided to actually send a letter today to the manager of the ATT store. I do not believe that it is a ATT policy but I will find out and let you know!
What is important to determine is whether this is a corporate AT&T store or a "3rd Party"/"Authorized" dealer. 3rd Party/Authorized Dealers in wireless are typically small operations (less than half a dozen stores or so) so the owners are generally pretty emotionally and financially invested in their stores. You will have the most luck with one of these "small business" owners since it more directly and drastically effects their wallets. If it's corporate, good luck.

ps: Today's Tip of the Day: Make sure that your phone numbers are saved to your phone and not your SIM card!!! I have to re-enter all of mine - a real PITA!
I'm a Service and Repair technician for a major wireless carrier. Let me tell you, there is no intelligent way to "depend" on your phone's contact list for your phone numbers.

Customers that I see with a dead phone that we can't recover data from get angry that we don't use SIM cards. On the other hand, I see phones that are completely fine, like yours, but the SIM is cooked. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP, DO NOT DEPEND ON THE DATA IN YOUR PHONE. Sync your PDA, or have your carrier print your contact list from time to time.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Since the sign was there you might as well try spitting into a nearby lake to raise the water level--you are not going to change anybody's mind and you are just wasting your time. Next time you go into the store you tell them that you are not coming back since they do not respect your responsible, legal and constitutional right to bear arms.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the sign was there you might as well try spitting into a nearby lake to raise the water level--you are not going to change anybody's mind and you are just wasting your time. Next time you go into the store you tell them that you are not coming back since they do not respect your responsible, legal and constitutional right to bear arms.

I was actually hoping to start a dialogue instead of spouting a disertation about 2A rights...

Historically, I think that lecturing folks really does not foster an atmosphere to educate, only one where they shut down even more.

Bill

·
Registered
469 Posts
Kelcarry, there is always a chance that the sign will be removed. Look at walmart for instance. They had gunbuster signs at one point, but it is a CORPORATE policy to comply with all state and local laws, so they had to remove the signs. If you can change ONE mind, its one more on our side. IMHO its better to TRY and get told no then NEVER try and lose the chance to possibly convert ones opinion on legal carry of a firearm.
~Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
My question is on this matter is, was this an authorized agent or an actual ATT Corporate store?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My question is on this matter is, was this an authorized agent or an actual ATT Corporate store?
ATT Corporate Store (in a strip mall type set-up).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know this doesn't help because you use AT&T but Verizon has a free app that can be downloaded to their phones that will store your contacts on their network... so if your sim fries or phone dies, you won't lose your contacts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I usually use Verizon, but have been in a few AT&T stores, I can't say as I have seen a sign at any of them.

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
sucks about your phone and the signs. i haven't seen any @ the ATT stores here but as far as i know i go to the actual corporate stores or whatever they are called not 3rd party ones....thanks for the reminder to back up my blackberry again its been a while

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
hey billpocz: You can start all the "dialogs" you want, they are not interested. I have better conversations with a cement wall.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Read up a little more on this forum. There are plenty of accounts of folks doing just that: changing minds. Most though, that report success, use a different tact than do you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
hey billpocz: You can start all the "dialogs" you want, they are not interested. I have better conversations with a cement wall.
Not to sound disrespectful or rude or anything (AND MODS, if it seems that way,please edit my post as you see fit)

Kelcarry, If we do not at least TRY to get certain things changed, this board would cease to exist as would our 2A rights. We have kept our rights because of people FIGHTING FOR THEM. Not fighting with force, but with pen,paper and VOICE. THEY may not be interested, but there are PLENTLY of success stories on this site, you only need look for them. Please try to SUPPORT the people who are trying to change the views of the people who post these gun free zone signs. Most places that post no gun signs will at least READ your letters, and some will even CHANGE POLICY in some cases. WE NEED TO TRY or WE WILL LOSE. If everyone followed your "cant fight city hall" comments/thinking, we would have lost our 2A a LONG time ago. I apologize if this sounds rude in any way, but it is my opinion and ONLY my opinion. (LOOK AT THE UK, COULD BE US)
Respectfully, Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
GDM.... verizon?

anyway thats what i have and i go in the local verizon store alot, they do some sponsorship with the local baseball team that i announce for, they have actually asked me to stay around one time when there was a suspicous person. We had called the local and the guy ended up being wanted for a robbery in another city.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I find it best to save to both that way if your phone gets smashed/broken you still have them on the chip... Better yet if you can sync with your computer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts