Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys know about these Spanish made imports. I saw one in good shape for $200 at my other favorite gunshop today. Although it probably wouldn't be my primary, it seemed like a great little gun for the money. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Star BM has always been a good gun. All steel 1911 copy. It fits good in my hand. Not really designed for +P ammo. Gun will last a long time. You don't see them any more because people hold on to them. They are brought to you by the company who produced the excellent firestar pistol.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey , for $200 all you want out of it is a solid shooter.

The star was/is what nobody makes nowadays ; a compact 1911
type gun in 9mm that actually works. :wink:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've had several of the older Star pistols and no problems with any of them. 200 is not bad at all!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Haha - just gonna post and mention Steve's gun and bless him - he's posted already!

I have heard many a time what good value these guns are for price - if I found one I'd buy it immediately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually just picked one up myself this month. It's a nifty little gun. Hefty for its size, but then the same's been said of me.

It actually seems to like WWB 147gr hollow points better than 135(?) Hydrashock. Those are the only two defense loads I've tried in it. With FMJ and the 147s it feeds every time thus far. I thought for a while that once I'd determined it to be reliable, I would spend part of my tax refund to get new sights and a refinish done. Now I'm considering taking a training class if I can find one locally. If not, then Metalloy is just down the road and they've already done a good hardchroming job for me once.

Just in case, anyone have any idea what sights might fit? I'd like to get a three-dot like on Springfield's mil-spec (not the GI). Try to keep the strictly functional look of the piece.

Barrett

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I think they are nice guns....I don't own one though; I've just seen them on on-line, heard from BM owners and fondled them at several gun shows. I do own a Star PD .45 ACP which is a fine gun. It's a shame you don't see many BKM 9mm's (BM with an alloy frame) these days.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do these have a grip safety? Couldn't tell from the pic.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
What do you guys know about these Spanish made imports. I saw one in good shape for $200 at my other favorite gunshop today. Although it probably wouldn't be my primary, it seemed like a great little gun for the money. Any input would be appreciated.
I think they are a great gun for small money.I have owned many but sold them for a proffit.$200 is a cool price for one .

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The safety mechanism is more like a Hipower than a 1911. No grip safety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Star BM Barrel

Hey Guys, I have a Star BM 9mm as well and I love it. However it is not the most accurate. It shoots all over the place, its never something I can anticipate. :blink: I think it may be the barrel. The Riflings do not look normal, they look quite different from any pictures of this model that I have seen. They almost look worn. Do you think that is the problem, or could it be something else?

Thank.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Could very well be problem. Take to Smith and have rerifled or buy replacement barrel. Think Sarco inc still sells parts for the BM. If not just peruse the online brokers, I'm sure you can find one with a little diligence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I tried Sarco Inc. and they do not carry the part. Any ideas of other places to check? Also, I have been using pretty cheap ammo, would that cause such inaccuracy?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts