Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new Remora IWB holster today and started carrying my S&W SD40VE. I know it is large but it tucks away nicely under my T-Shirt. To me it was like carrying one of my knives in my pocket, just another tool that I hope I will never need. Wife and I walked around and I showed her some really nice .380 LCP Rugers and Kel-Tecs. She also has her carry permit and we are looking for something smaller.....and I am still looking for that elusive .40 Cal M&P Shield. I am sure that will carry nicely compared to this SD40VE.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Odd feeling the first few times but you quickly habituate and don't event think of carrying....unless you aren't for some reason.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Good habits are just as hard to break as...bad habits. Congrats on both you & your wife's decision to form a GOOD habit.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I've been carrying for 15 years now, the last 4 I have been able to carry at work, so am armed from the time I get up, until I go to bed. once you get used to it, you do feel naked without it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's great to have 2 more players on the team. Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have a S&W M&P45 and love it, but it is too large for me to carry very often. After being armed 30+ years in LE, my first consideration for an EDC is "WEIGHT", which, for me, maxes around 22 ounces. I like my Colt Defender .45acp best, but I have other .45s I carry, too.

Living in the Heartland, it can get very hot, so then I go to a smaller 9mm, .38spec, .357 Mag, and sometimes, even my Kel-Tec .380acp with belt/pocket clip.

My wife liked my Kel-Tec so much, after shooting a box of my +P, JHP, XTP rounds, she took it away from me... so I had to get myself another one for those triple digit days, funerals, or when much discretion is needed.
She won't carry anything else, period. I've tried. But, she has much training, is acutely aware of her surroundings, and can shoot.
She also has the mindset to shoot without hesitation.
God help the clown who attacks her in some parking lot, tries to pull her into a van, or whatever.

I honestly don't worry about her safety, except for the chimps behind the wheel and texting on the roads.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!:hand2:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bigger is always better when it comes to self defence carry guns . You made a good choice. Never go smaller.
Still thinking about the .380 since it is so small I could stick it in my pocket. My first choice for me though is the M&P Shield in the .40Cal. Wife...the .380ACP....she is small and it is better than NOTHING.....either that or the >22Mag revolver.....but it is so large I mght as well get the 38 version...so many choices......maybe all of them!!!...LOL

·
Registered
354 Posts
While waiting the 6 weeks for my appointment, and then another 3 weeks for permit, I carried in the house on the weekends just for practice. Always had it with me in the car. Wife and daughter never knew. So on my 1st day out, it was just normal. I have never been looked at that I know of and I carry a 40 FS OWB.

I received my new Remora IWB holster today and started carrying my S&W SD40VE. I know it is large but it tucks away nicely under my T-Shirt. To me it was like carrying one of my knives in my pocket, just another tool that I hope I will never need. Wife and I walked around and I showed her some really nice .380 LCP Rugers and Kel-Tecs. She also has her carry permit and we are looking for something smaller.....and I am still looking for that elusive .40 Cal M&P Shield. I am sure that will carry nicely compared to this SD40VE.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I too carried today for the first time. It was just while I took the dog to the park but none the less a successful carry. I have a M&P9c. I will need to work on the right position for me because when I was driving my Old Faithful holster was digging into my side due to the driver seat. But when I was walking around I had no problems except for the odd weight on my side. I guess I will get used to that. I didn't find my self doing much readjusting except when I knew my cover garments had rode up. Over all it was a pleasant experience.

Congrats on your first day.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I have to admit. I have been carrying for about two weeks. It is a weird feeling (at first). I am very comfortable that my EDC doesn't print. (You know how it is when you think you have been walking around with your FLY open. That's how I felt at the beginning ). The only thing i do occasionally is tug at my pants.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts