Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from the forums for quite a while, and I haven't been shooting either.

A couple years ago, I developed severe carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome in my right arm. After surgery and rehab, I still have significant muscle atrophy and neuromuscular deficits in my hand, which will likely not improve any further. A pain in the tail, but such is life. My primary limitations are in the spreading of my fingers. If you move your pointer finger away from your other fingers toward your thumb, and hold it there, it will take some force to move it back. If I do that, it takes nothing at all to move it back. Grip strength is OK, except for my little finger. I tried shooting my faithful HK45, but it's a no go. I can't manipulate the controls properly, and .45ACP recoil is a bit much for me now. Follow up shots are slow, slow, slow.

So I decided to branch out a bit. Sold the H&K :)frown:) and bought a new Springfield 1911 in 9mm. Big old hunk of steel. I can reach and handle the controls OK, but have a hard time registering my trigger finger on the frame sometimes. But it's much easier than with my Glocks.

Got out to the range today (going to to a mini review of the gun in a forum post). Did pretty well with some things, need work in others. My first 5 rounds out of the gun were touching at 21 feet. Not bad right out of the box.

My trigger control is OK, and I had no problem handling the gun for the most part. Did some double taps and failure drills, which were not horrible. Solid hits, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Did learn that I need to limit range sessions to 50 or 75 rounds. Shot 150 today, and it was too much. By the end, my right hand was very tired, so I finished up with some left hand only strings and the 10-8 extractor function test.

I have a ways to go (a long ways), but I do believe that I will get back to what I consider to be an acceptable standard of shooting and gun handling where I can resume carrying in public. Fingers crossed - or at least the ones I can cross :smile:

·
Super Moderator
18,315 Posts
OOOooo Matt. I'd love to have a 9mm full-sized 1911 gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts