Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations

Andy Greenberg, Forbes Staff

The battle for control of dangerous digital shapes may have just begun.

On Thursday, Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson received a letter from the State Department Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance demanding that he take down the online blueprints for the 3D-printable “Liberator” handgun that his group released Monday, along with nine other 3D-printable firearms components hosted on the group’s website Defcad.org. The government says it wants to review the files for compliance with arms export control laws known as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, or ITAR. By uploading the weapons files to the Internet and allowing them to be downloaded abroad, the letter implies Wilson’s high-tech gun group may have violated those export controls.

“Until the Department provides Defense Distributed with final [commodity jurisdiction] determinations, Defense Distributed should treat the above technical data as ITAR-controlled,” reads the letter, referring to a list of ten CAD files hosted on Defcad that include the 3D-printable gun, silencers, sights and other pieces. “This means that all data should be removed from public acces immediately. Defense Distributed should review the remainder of the data made public on its website to determine whether any other data may be similarly controlled and proceed according to ITAR requirements.”

more at: State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations - Forbes

·
Registered
357 Posts
Next thing will be pictures of guns, Pop Tarts shaped like guns, Bubble Guns.....etc....

·
Registered
621 Posts
There are things I like to say, but I'd be violating the forum's TOS.

I can almost guarantee that people like Anonymous are going to start spreading these files all over the net now.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
The State Dept slips up, let's a couple of terrorists into the country who end up setting off an IED at the Boston Marathon, and what they are worried about are the technical specs for a gun?
I beleive they were 15 and 9 years old when they came to the US, hardly what I would call "letting them into the country". Them being allowed to stay (the older brother) is more of an intelligence failure.

But I agree the State Dept are a bunch of idiots in this issue.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I beleive they were 15 and 9 years old when they came to the US, hardly what I would call "letting them into the country". Them being allowed to stay (the older brother) is more of an intelligence failure.

But I agree the State Dept are a bunch of idiots in this issue.
True, but if I understand correctly, the older one went home to train with the other scumbags, then came back - and he wasn't 15 when he did this. So someone let him back in.

Regardless, we probably both agree that this is #1000 on a list of ten things the State Dept should worry about.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
True, but if I understand correctly, the older one went home to train with the other scumbags, then came back - and he wasn't 15 when he did this. So someone let him back in.

Regardless, we probably both agree that this is #1000 on a list of ten things the State Dept should worry about.
If memory serve me correctly....the FBI was not notified about his activies and worries from the Russians until a few months after he re entered the US:wave:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since there was over 100,000 downloads in two days and they are already on the pirate bay. The cat is out of the proverbial bag and not likely to ever be put back in it.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Just read an interview with Cody Wilson, and he stated that the State Dept. "Requested" he take down the files.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I just got to ask, why would you post plan to such a thing on line?

OK so you figured out how to do it.... you're a big shot, why post plans on line for every crazy person to make there own? I just don't understand!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
The State Dept slips up, let's a couple of terrorists into the country who end up setting off an IED at the Boston Marathon, and what they are worried about are the technical specs for a gun?
Perhaps the State Department should make sure their OWN HOUSE is in order before making demands of anyone or anything else. Can you say Hillary Clinton and BENGHAZI???

·
Registered
680 Posts
He's a self proclaimed anarchist. He knows he got the goat of the government. Wonder what the book was in Vegas as to the length of time before the "request" was put forth.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Not to mention letting a US Ambassador get murdered along with 3 other Americans in Benghazi and then cover up their incompetence to win an election, and they are all up in this guys face.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I was just reading that the printer required to make a printable gun could run $10k - $50k pretty easily.

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
No surprise there.

Gun control in its purest form.

Fact of the matter is, the thought of an armed population that can not be controled scares them to death.

He's a self proclaimed anarchist. He knows he got the goat of the government. Wonder what the book was in Vegas as to the length of time before the "request" was put forth.
Not really. He's just a guy that believes in free enterprise. If you think that makes him an anarchist, then you have been duped by the news media.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts